ATV connect to stereo with analog outputs?

mcgsxr

ATV connect to stereo with analog outputs?
« on: 23 Feb 2014, 08:18 pm »
I am working with a friend of mine to configure his setup to allow him to use his collection of music throughout his home.

He presently uses a Boxee Box, and a PC.  He has it all wired to 1 system in his basement, but cannot play that music on another system on the main floor of his home.

I am recommending he install iTunes on his main floor PC (he loves the Genius capability for large libraries), and add an Apple TV 3.  The issue is that his main floor system only has analog inputs.

Can a cable like this be used to split out L and R from the ATV HDMI output?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/K1BO-1-5m-5Ft-HDMI-Cable-to-5RCA-5-RCA-Audio-Video-AV-Component-Cord-Gold-Plated-/261280544727?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cd588b7d7

He'll use an app for his Galaxy S4 to control what tunes etc.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: ATV connect to stereo with analog outputs?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2014, 09:17 pm »
You could use an apple airport express instead which has an analog / optical output. You'll need a mini jack stereo to RCA cable - or a convertor - either of which is easy to source.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2014, 09:31 pm »
Nice catch on the Airport express.

He's 80% convenience, 20% audio quality, so that solution with the 1/8th break out cable will be perfect.  I see some refurbs at Apple Canada for around $75.

Thanks!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm »
Glad the suggestion was helpful.

I actually like the AE better than the ATV even as a digital audio streamer as it's bit perfect whereas the ATV up samples everything to 48khz (which to me audibly degraded the sound quality). There are rumors of a new ATV soon, but I don't see anyone stressing on resolving the upsampling issue.

econalan

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2014, 06:17 am »
Anyone else compare 3rd Gen Airport Express to 2nd Gen? According to here - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/interesting-thought-3rd-gen-airport-express-19769/ - DAC in 3rd Gen is a significant step up from 2nd Gen.

Alan