Phono Stages / VPI Classic

jsm71

Re: Phono Stages / VPI Classic
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2014, 09:57 pm »
I friend of mine runs a VPI TNT 6 with the ZP3.  He uses a Lyra LOMC and step up device with the ZP3.  His vinyl setup sounds pretty amazing to me and I surely can't find fault with the ZP3.  Experiment if you wish but that is one fine phono preamp.  The design is really clean.  If Steve Deckert used more bling in his designs or he had to bear the overhead of marketing costs the ZP3 would cost way over $2k.  I really like tubes for analog processing.  I use a Cary tube preamp with built in phono stage, but it is more money and not necessarily better sounding.  It is a full function preamp though with a remote that I won't give up.  The Dodd option may be interesting.  Being battery powered it should be really quiet.  Dark backgrounds are really important for carts which put out such low outputs.

I have a Decware amp with another one on order and feel Steve's designs are pretty special and really hard to beat for their price. 

loving_it

« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2014, 05:18 pm »
Audreal LP-2 phono stage might be the one I try next   The ZP3 isn't leaving until I know for sure

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2014, 05:59 pm »
I'm tempted to buy a K&K phono pre amp kit but the last time I soldered something together, well, let's not get into that.  The K&K has strong enough transformers to amplify even low output MC cartridges.  Anybody done this?  I couldn't find the one my friend has at the site(?).  I believe it costs 2.5k.  Any other recommendations?

roscoeiii

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2014, 06:29 pm »
Audreal LP-2 phono stage might be the one I try next   The ZP3 isn't leaving until I know for sure

Yes, if you can swing it financially, I'd do a head-to-head comparison of any contenders with the ZP3. Decware is known for being great bang-for-your-buck tube gear.

vortrex

« Reply #24 on: 26 Feb 2014, 06:40 pm »
I'm tempted to buy a K&K phono pre amp kit but the last time I soldered something together, well, let's not get into that.  The K&K has strong enough transformers to amplify even low output MC cartridges.  Anybody done this?  I couldn't find the one my friend has at the site(?).  I believe it costs 2.5k.  Any other recommendations?

I did this before and was my first build.  It's intimidating at first, lots of pieces, but if you go through it step by step it's not so bad.  The directions are not entirely correct as I recall, but it's a nice phono stage and Kevin is very helpful if you have questions along the way.

loving_it

« Reply #25 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm »
Yes, if you can swing it financially, I'd do a head-to-head comparison of any contenders with the ZP3. Decware is known for being great bang-for-your-buck tube gear.

The lehmann audio decade looks good also lot of choices

bacobits1

« Reply #26 on: 28 Feb 2014, 02:03 pm »
I have not heard one,  but a Liberty B2B Phono all USA. $1749 new this is what I would look at.
I think there is a used one ($1450) on Agon. No affiliation to seller. The K&K Phono too.
Extremely tough to recommend Phono's for all the obvious reasons. Many choices out there!

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #27 on: 28 Feb 2014, 07:20 pm »
There's a Canary CA-430 L on Agon for $2K, retail is $5K.  Can't say I've heard it, but it's an impressive looking unit w/separate power supply ARC style.

Just thought I'd tell you about it.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/phono-canary-audio-phono-preamp-ca-430-l-2014-02-03-preamplifiers-38018

neo