Janis W-2 to Rythmik F12G ?

wildberger

Re: Janis W-2 to Rythmik F12G ?
« Reply #40 on: 9 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm »
Thanks Danny! that helps also this: "So I'd glue in another layer of 3/4" MDF in little pieces hitting braces and outer walls where you can."  An important point that an inexperienced project guy, like me, would have no knowledge.
         Thanks to all who offered from there thoughts and experience

len

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #41 on: 9 Mar 2014, 09:59 pm »
When you glue in the MDF, I suggest using Sikaflex 1A Polyurethane Premium Grade High Performance Elastomeric Sealant. It's a very strong adhesive but also maintains a slight flexibility, when cured, that has constrained layer damping properties.

Captainhemo

« Reply #42 on: 9 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm »

Then add a layer of your heavy vinyl on top of it to help damp it.

Sorry Ian, I really thought  using the no-rez would have been the way to go....
How come the vynyl would be best in this case  Danny  ?

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 10 Mar 2014, 03:13 am »

-jay

Oh, the No Rez will be best and that was good advice. I was thinking he might already have some heavy vinyl floor tiles.

bdp24

« Reply #44 on: 10 Mar 2014, 07:02 am »

-jay

Jay---I wasn't suggesting mass-loaded vinyl instead of NoRez, but in addition to. The vinyl in between MDF layers (instead of cork), and the NoRez on the outer surface of the MDF (but on the inside of the enclosure, if that makes sense!).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 10 Mar 2014, 07:16 am »
Jay---I wasn't suggesting mass-loaded vinyl instead of NoRez, but in addition to. The vinyl in between MDF layers (instead of cork), and the NoRez on the outer surface of the MDF (but on the inside of the enclosure, if that makes sense!).

When building an enclosure from scratch, how much benefit is there in laminating the walls up in this fashion (1/2" MDF / damping material / 1/2" MDF) then putting NoRez inside vs using a single piece of 3/4" MDF for the walls then putting NoRez inside?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 10 Mar 2014, 03:31 pm »

Got ya   :D
I just misunderstood Danny's post when he said to skip  laminating the vinyl in an already built cabinet but then  to  cover the new pieces of MDF you install with it.  For some reason I thought he was saying the vinyl was a better option than the  no-rez in this case  :brainfart:

-jay

Blacklightning

« Reply #47 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm »
Question:  I have been planning to do the Cabinet Mods?  Already have the No Rez from Danny!
 Could this be a break through? or stick with my day job.

Give us an update when you are done.

wildberger

« Reply #48 on: 11 Mar 2014, 03:02 am »
Give us an update when you are done.
I will!  Won't be for a while, but I will.

Blacklightning

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2014, 04:04 pm »
I will!  Won't be for a while, but I will.

Wondering if you have an Update on the Rythmik F12G Mod?

I'm a couple month from getting a regular F12 but my end game is a couple F12g's.
I would love to know if this Mod is worth opening open.

bdp24

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2014, 05:26 pm »
For those who won't be moving their sub box(es) around much, an even better enclosure is Danny's "Sandbox", in which a cavity is left between the inner and outer layers of MDF and filled with, yeah, sand. Nature's gift to Audiophiles. Silica Sand at a building supply yard is, heh, dirt cheap. I found it 5 minutes from my house, about $7.50 for a hundred pound bag, enough for at least two subs. Silica is great stuff, already strained by grain size (#10, #20, #30, etc. The higher the number, the finer the grain size), pure white, no moisture or organic contaminants. Much better than "Play Sand" at Home Depot, etc.

Blacklightning

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jul 2014, 07:18 pm »
All correct but I'm wondering about Mods to the Rythmik F12G, not a full enclosure for the Kit.

Getting a Box made is pricey and I'm not going to DIY. Everyone says enclosures are cheap just find a carpenter but ever price I have gotten has been high and that was for a regular box that does not "look" any better than the oak or piano box from Rythmik.

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jul 2014, 08:01 pm »
When I get the Rythmik boxes I line them with another layer of MDF and lay in some No Rez. That stiffens them up and gives them a cleaner sound. 

Blacklightning

« Reply #53 on: 15 Jul 2014, 10:16 pm »
When I get the Rythmik boxes I line them with another layer of MDF and lay in some No Rez. That stiffens them up and gives them a cleaner sound.
I guess this is a hard question to answer but is doing this noticeable to the point that it is worth opening up the box?

Or another question would be if someone replaced a modded F12g with a regular F12g without telling you, would you noticed the change in Bass.

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jul 2014, 10:41 pm »
I guess this is a hard question to answer but is doing this noticeable to the point that it is worth opening up the box?

Or another question would be if someone replaced a modded F12g with a regular F12g without telling you, would you noticed the change in Bass.

I'll put it this way. The box is 3/4" MDF with a double thick baffle and a cross brace. For a sub, I consider this lightly constructed. Lay your hand on it while it is pounding and you will feel some resonance from the box. This is unwanted noise. Scrap MDF is cheap and cutting it into pieces to line the inside of the box is pretty easy. A single sheet of No Rez is also not real expensive, but if you really wanted to do it on the cheap then line it with heavy vinyl floor tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot.

You might spend $20 and some time on it to make it sound notably better. It's kind of a no brainer.

I am personally pretty sensitive to noticing this noise as my personal system is completely free of it and I am used to it that way. So it would likely not take me long to notice.

bdp24

« Reply #55 on: 18 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm »
Danny, you recommend an internal volume of around 1.5cu.ft. for your 12 woofer. The Rythmik box is a little bigger than that, I believe. Does lining the Rythmik box with another 3/4" layer get you to around 1.5?

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 18 Jul 2014, 01:00 pm »
Danny, you recommend an internal volume of around 1.5cu.ft. for your 12 woofer. The Rythmik box is a little bigger than that, I believe. Does lining the Rythmik box with another 3/4" layer get you to around 1.5?

Yes.

zoltm2001

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:39 pm »
I will also add that Rythmik Audio caters to the non-DIY guy. He offers everything fully assembled and ready to play. You can even get them with our woofers.

We cater to the DIY guy that wants to build their own. So we can sell you our woofer and the Rythmik servo amp and provide cabinet plans for you so you can build your own cabinet to look anyway you want.

Hi Danny,

I would like to know if Brian could offer anything in assembled form for your Dual Driver OB Sub with the Rythmik plate amp?

Thanks.

zoltm

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2014, 08:56 pm »
Hi Danny,

I would like to know if Brian could offer anything in assembled form for your Dual Driver OB Sub with the Rythmik plate amp?

Thanks.

zoltm

I guess he could, and so could I. It's real easy. All we have to do is order at least 100 of them from our friends across the ocean over there. Then do we make them two to a box or three to a box? H frame or W frame? Maybe some of each. Then flat black, gloss black, and some wood finishes... Oh and that 100 unit minimum is per style and per finish.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 22 Jul 2014, 09:56 pm »
Hi Danny,

Thanks.

zoltm

If you do not want or cannot do the building yourself, there are a number of people on this forum who would be willing to build one or more of the OB subs for you.  That way you get a top notch sub (or subs) in the style and finish you want.

Mike