In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.

Guy 13

Re: In case I miss, or lose you in the shuffle.
« Reply #200 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:06 pm »
Post address from members are against the rules.

Well then...
Let's hope Ruben re-surface and make some customers - AC members
happy with his awesome work.

Guy 13

rms8

« Reply #201 on: 26 Oct 2015, 05:22 pm »
I've been reluctant to post my "FULL" experience and outcome with dealing with Ruben as I no longer have a dog in this fight, but it pains me to see people continuously left in the dark after having already paid hundreds or thousands of $$$ and have zero to show for it except stress of wondering if they were "had".

As I have already mentioned quite some time ago in this very thread, I commissioned Ruben to build a pair of custom LS-9s, LS-C and matching LS-C stand.  Per Rubens request, I paid 75% up front for him to start.  VERY long story short, over a year later and very little contact aside from the occasional broken promise, I finally got my speakers.  When I sent the final payment in, I left off 10% of the total price (not 10% of the remaining 25%).  I refused to pay full price and had actually deducted 20% at first, but in the end deducted only 10% of the total price of the job.

He came through, but at a price I am unwilling to ever accept again.  His work is masterful and the envy of so many, but his conduct with business is by far the worst I have experienced.

I wish those who have paid money (and still waiting) the best with getting a finished product.  I know it has been said before and even told to me by Ruben himself, he is an utter perfectionist and  *IF* you get your speakers you will be pleased beyond words with their appearance.  The two times I spoke to him on the phone, he was a pleasure to talk to and very humble and respectful, so it's extremely hard to be angry with someone like him from a personality standpoint.

Rob

mojave

« Reply #202 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:16 pm »
To comply with contractor laws I have to do business searches to ensure subcontractors are properly licensed and aren't delinquent. When I do the same search in Colorado for Fallen Enclosures, I find that they have been delinquent since 2/1/2011.  :(

After RMAF was over, I visited a friend 2.7 miles from Rueben's house. I though about stopping by, but never had a chance.

Folsom

« Reply #203 on: 26 Oct 2015, 11:08 pm »
While I can't help but wonder something... Everyone is saying they spent a lot of money, but I wonder if it's a lot of money for them or period. The question, why I am curious, is because while I don't know Rueben besides buying some flat packs (that came right away) I have to wonder if the amount he charges put him under. When you run on skeleton principles it's easy to go turned upside, FAST. He's not the first or last single worker (sometimes there's a few more) to go belly-up. But there is always the possibility he's one of the very (if any) few that correct the situation.

If you have zero money and you need money to finish something that takes money... you can imagine the challenge.

sfox7076

« Reply #204 on: 24 Nov 2015, 05:52 pm »
Any update?

gab

« Reply #205 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:44 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=41080

I wonder if John Prator of KCI ever got his speakers? I remember him telling me that he had spent thousands on a deposit for the CLS-9's.

The cabinet maker/AWOL list seems to be increasing: AV123, Daygloworange/Custom Concepts, Bob Smith/Aether/SP speakers... :oops:

I prefer to work with local guys in all honesty. A squeaky wheel gets oiled. FWIW.

Best,
Anand.

Lets not leave out "Eargasm" (you remember him). I spend $1300 on an LS-6 flat pack in 2009. Finally after $50 here and there, he repaid me in full. It took 6 long frustrating years and hundreds of emails and excuses and I doubt I'll ever trust a cabinet maker guy again. FWIW

gab

roscoe65

« Reply #206 on: 24 Nov 2015, 06:54 pm »
Lets not leave out "Eargasm" (you remember him). I spend $1300 on an LS-6 flat pack in 2009. Finally after $50 here and there, he repaid me in full. It took 6 long frustrating years and hundreds of emails and excuses and I doubt I'll ever trust a cabinet maker guy again. FWIW

gab

I'm in the same boat.  I'm out nearly $400 (not a huge amount, but money is money).  I strongly suspect that Ruben put himself in the position of many small contractors, relying on incoming money to finish previous projects, in effect a small scale Ponzi Scheme, albeit an unintentional one.

I have given up on getting my product and am making other arrangements.  Its water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.  If I were looking for speaker flat packs and had a reliable drawing, any competent cabinet shop can run them out for you.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #207 on: 24 Nov 2015, 07:29 pm »

gab

We're not all schmucks :cry: But I can tell you with certainty that great craftsmen and artists are seldom similarly great at the business end of things. There are exceptions, of course.

FWIW, I've eyeballed this particular market (build cabs for DIY market), and I just don't see it as a viable business model. Not to say it couldn't be, I just can't see it as a put-food-on-the-table business. One runs out of buyers really quickly because it's a tiny market. That makes the idea of volume making up for low margin dang near impossible. Conversely, making it on bigger margins and low volume will exclude a bunch of your potential customers...it's DIY after all. The more overhead you have, the worse the model looks.

I'd love to have a $50K CNC router, but would have a devil of a time paying for it selling speaker cabs. I think that's the primary reason you see folks come and go, on the surface it looks like you could make a little money, but making a living at it is a tough row to hoe. In my mind, that makes it a (sometimes expensive) hobby.

As it is with many things, the way to make a million at it is to start with two million :D 

Danny Richie

« Reply #208 on: 24 Nov 2015, 08:01 pm »

gab

He still owes me a chunk.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2015, 01:45 am by Danny Richie »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #209 on: 25 Nov 2015, 12:45 am »
Too many dishonest people in this industry. :(