Whittling it Down....

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Whittling it Down....
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2014, 04:14 pm »
Hey glad to see all the replies and stories!

Most of my journey in audio has always been gated by my income, hence "budget" and the war department...

But being a really analytical conservative engineer....I have always looked at cost performance in the equation, but don't get me
wrong I am just as lustful for the uber high end stuff etc....nothing like a 1/4 thick solid copper circuit board.....etc...

But that said, and recently getting laid off again for the third time in the last 5 yrs or so...budget is now my defining limitation.

I went thru several amps, and after the O2 I sold most of them, well all of them except for an Onkyo Network receiver I use just because I wanted to
have a USB drive with all my ripped music and be able to listen without all the other stuff on.....another whole neat story.

I am experimenting with the O2's I have there is a really talented fello "AGDR" over at the DIYAUDIO forum that has a O2 "Booster" board mod Version 2.0
And he has a new Version 3.0 mod board that basically makes the O2 a desktop version with 1/4 jack, turn on off relay etc...

Its a small board the plugs into the O2 after removing 2 of the op amps...ingenious.....this has kept me busy and smiling.

I put on the 1350's this am as I am writing and dang I had to stop and listen a few times, the musicality of these cans are just so surprising at times...
Eric Clapton and BB King, then Patti LaBelle and her cut from "Torch Songs"... wow.

I am very afraid to even get neat STAX!!! OMG that might make me get a job!! LOL

Morning to all...

Alex

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:47 pm »
So, given the 1350s are currently available at around $180, and the T90s go for closer to $500, I'm wondering just how big the bass hump is with the 1350s. Is it anything like the ATH 50s, if you've heard them? If so that's too much for my taste but if not, these would be very useful in a number of ways; sealed and folding with a carrying case being two. Does the cord detach or is it fixed?
My benchmark for sonic neutrality and low distorion is the old AKG 240df, the 600 ohm version– although a little more bass extension and weight would have been welcome with those.

toocool4

« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2014, 09:30 pm »
So, given the 1350s are currently available at around $180, and the T90s go for closer to $500, I'm wondering just how big the bass hump is with the 1350s. Is it anything like the ATH 50s, if you've heard them? If so that's too much for my taste but if not, these would be very useful in a number of ways; sealed and folding with a carrying case being two. Does the cord detach or is it fixed?
My benchmark for sonic neutrality and low distorion is the old AKG 240df, the 600 ohm version– although a little more bass extension and weight would have been welcome with those.

Wow you guys in America get a much better deal than we get in Europe on the T90, even though it’s made here in Europe.

You say the T90 is $500 in America £499 in UK and €499 so in Europe so in US money at the time of writing UK = $818 and Europe $679, this kind of crazy pricing is what make people deal in so called grey imports.

The T90 is amazing, yes I prefer the T1 but I only use headphones on the move. So the T1 open back and 600 ohm is out of the question and the T90 and it’s open back is also out of the question.

So what I have done is to put the T90 drivers into T70 housing, T70p cabling, T90 pads, drilled holes in the bottom of the T70 housing to port it and added felt damping in the housing. So what I have ended up with is an open back sound in a closed back design which is perfect for me on the move. On comparison to the T90 and also the Sennheiser HD700, I now have better headphones then both of them.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 9 Feb 2014, 10:13 pm »
Wow! Toocool indeed–I see you are using a Walkman Professional for on-the-go sound! :D Analog to the nth degree! (Oh, I guess it could have been a Nagra to make it truly nth!).
I saw the T90 for $495 on ebay, but generally it sells for $649 and lists for $699.
The 1350 looks like a bargain, though, at $173 currently on Amazon.

As a Beyer aficionado have you had the opportunity to compare the T90 to the DT 1350-80? Especially in the representation of the bass regions?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 9 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm »
Well I just happen to have the 1350's and the ATH50's.

I re-listened to several tracks and the bass on the 50"s is there in spades but a bit too boomy for me....the 1350's are head and shoulder better than the 50's.

The bass on them is pretty tight and solid...sounds really good and very musical.

Listening to some Dave Grusin, Punte Del Soul from his Migration CD, Very tight strong accurate bass....just wonderful to me.

The 50's are well just not ther in the quality dept on the low, yes the low end is there but its not as accurate to me, just a tad too flabby.

The 50's do have a nice soundstage compared to the more closed in 1350's. but I would pick the 1350's over the 50s any time of the day.

I got my 50's several years back on the journey to see what was the best in the $100 range of cans and these kept coming up and so I got a set to see for
myself...

I used them for PC gaming and never any real serious listening.

Alex

toocool4

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:38 am »
Thanks Russell Dawkins, I think a Nagra would just to big. I do use a few others on the move mainly the WM-DC2 and WM-DD9, I have not heard any portable digital player I would swap my analogue setup for.

Unfortunately I have not heard the DT1350 yet, I have heard so many good things about it but the shop I go to when in Munich only does full size headphones. I would love to try the T5p too but since it’s portable they don’t do it. The T5p is meant to be the equivalent of the T1 for the mobile community, well it cost the same as the T1.

ajzepp

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:43 am »

The bass on the 1350s is pretty flat and very well extended...there isn't any sort of hump at all. Like Alex said, it's very clean and avoids being boomy, which is something I'm very sensitive to, as well.

The 1350s to this day are still the best phones for $300 or under that I've heard. They have been, and will continue to be, my go-to portables for a while to come. And yep, the carrying case is really a nice touch. I also love the very durable build quality. If they have really dropped to under $200, these are a steal.

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2014, 07:51 am »
Well I just happen to have the 1350's and the ATH50's.

I re-listened to several tracks and the bass on the 50"s is there in spades but a bit too boomy for me....the 1350's are head and shoulder better than the 50's.

The bass on them is pretty tight and solid...sounds really good and very musical.

Listening to some Dave Grusin, Punte Del Soul from his Migration CD, Very tight strong accurate bass....just wonderful to me.

The 50's are well just not ther in the quality dept on the low, yes the low end is there but its not as accurate to me, just a tad too flabby.

The 50's do have a nice soundstage compared to the more closed in 1350's. but I would pick the 1350's over the 50s any time of the day.

I got my 50's several years back on the journey to see what was the best in the $100 range of cans and these kept coming up and so I got a set to see for
myself...

I used them for PC gaming and never any real serious listening.

Alex

I posted this on here a year or two ago, but I remember when I told a buddy of mine at my last job that I had just gotten some new headphones and asked if he wanted to give them a listen. He got all excited and asked if they were as good as Beats. I said that I'd let him be the judge. I walked over to his cubicle with a track queued up (it was either Deadmau5 or ATB...can't remember) and watch his expression change as I hit play. (This was just on my iPhone 4...nothing fancy.) His head started bobbing up and down and I could tell by the look on his face that he was very impressed. He said they sounded much better than the Beats he was used to hearing and asked me about where I got them and how much they cost.

This has since happened several more times over the past two years...people hear these phones and end up being very impressed. I've never re-bought a pair of headphones, but given how inexpensive they've become I'm likely going to pick up another pair just in case. My first pair is holding up very well, but they've got a lot of miles on them, both in terms of playback as well as how many times I've taken them back and forth.

EDIT: Looks like Amazon is actually selling the facelift version based on one or two of the most recent reivews...this is very tempting at $173.

EDIT #2: Just too tempting...I didn't know they were selling the facelift version at that price...pulled the trigger.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:11 pm »
Damn Zepp you beat me to the punch......as soon as my refund clears I'm getting some too I think.

ajzepp

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2014, 03:34 pm »
Damn Zepp you beat me to the punch......as soon as my refund clears I'm getting some too I think.

That's a very nice price for the original version, but when I saw that the image on the amazon site is the newer facelift model (no difference sonically, mind you) that price became even nicer. This will probably be the only headphone I ever buy twice, but it's worth it.

ajzepp

« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2014, 04:04 pm »
The 1350s that are being sold for under $200 are not the facelift version. I've inquired of a bunch of places...

That's what I figured, but the image that Amazon uses in the listing for the 1350s is the facelift, and at least one or two people have received them...so it's worth a shot anyway. I'll report back with what they actually send me, though I'll probably keep them anyway for reasons mentioned above.

UPDATE: I've also received confirmation at head-fi that they have received the facelift version from Amazon, so keeping my fingers crossed that Edwardo and I get the same thing.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014, 01:47 pm by ajzepp »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2014, 02:27 pm »
I ordered some too and I think they actually shipped this time. According to Beyerdynamic website I think we are getting facelift version, either way they are my first pair so I'm all in.  :dance: :dance:

dreamreaper

« Reply #32 on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:26 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but how does the "facelift" version differ from the "original"?

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 11 Feb 2014, 09:29 pm »
Good news, gents...my pair arrived a day early and they are, in face, the facelift version...I won't have a chance to listen to them until later today to see if they sound identical to originals, but they are here and they look different for sure. Pads are thicker, cups are all black, and headband has the extra wrapping on it.

Still not sure if this is a mistake by Amazon, but like Dale said, everywhere else sells these for over $200 that I've seen...

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 11 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm »
Yeah, these ear pads extend about 1/2" - 3/4" wider (in terms of diameter) than the cups themselves and the headband is different with the extra padding/wrap. These look quite a bit different than my originals.

EDIT: Just a quick listen during my break at work...that beautiful clean bass is still present as always, and overall my first (quick) impression is that they sound just as good as the originals...the clamp is actually a bit less on these, which is good, and I'd say the changes to the pads and headband have had a positive impact on comfort. The real test will be with a longer session, though, obviously.  Really glad I pulled the trigger on these things, though...just love these phones.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2014, 12:10 am by ajzepp »

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:11 am »
Now I'm triple pumped, mine are due friday along with maybe a foot of snow...we'll see what happens.
I thought the earcups being all black was the same as the original units as no one mentioned it before until now....the facelift ones on the Beyerdynamic website show that I'm sorry I didn't mention it sooner so you guys would've known.

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:15 am »
Now I'm triple pumped, mine are due friday along with maybe a foot of snow...we'll see what happens.
I thought the earcups being all black was the same as the original units as no one mentioned it before until now....the facelift ones on the Beyerdynamic website show that I'm sorry I didn't mention it sooner so you guys would've known.

Friday?? You want me to add you to my Prime membership so you can get stuff faster? If so, just PM me and I'll hook ya up.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:10 am »
A very enthusiastic review of the original Beyer DT 1350 by Tyll Hertsens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eYtnXOFAkQ

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2014, 09:41 am »
Just a quick update...

I put these on my brain at around 3:20am after I finished up work...so it's been about 1hr15min and so far I can say with certainty that these are more comfortable. You can't really tell much difference at first other than the clamp being less than the originals...but usually around the 1.5hr mark I'll start feeling a little like I need a short break from wearing the originals. I haven't detected any sonic differences yet, but won't be ready to rule on that for a week or two.

ajzepp

« Reply #39 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:34 pm »