Dishwasher brands - recommendations?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Dishwasher brands - recommendations?
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2014, 04:18 am »
We also have a Bosch dishwasher which is about 12 years old now. It has run flawless, cleans the largest of loads with ease, uses a small amount of water and is very quiet.

But.....  A couple of months ago we started noticing goo build up at the seal of the door. I had a service tech come out and he said the pump was getting a build up and to try Tang to clean it out. I did this several times and it did help, but now the build up is coming back. Apparently we need a new pump to solve the problem or buy a new dishwasher. Not sure how much this is going to cost yet but will either get it fixed or buy another Bosch as we have really liked it until now.

I should also add that we are not big on washing our dishes before putting them in the dishwasher especially when having big get togethers so this machine in my mind has been amazing until now.

Greg

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:26 pm »
Greg
try either running the dishwasher with a couple of cups of white vinegar poured into the bottom and /or the dishwasher cleaner they sell at the grocery store. May need to do this a couple of times

David

john1970

« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm »
When I remodeled the kitchen two years ago I purchased a Bosch dishwasher and it works very well.  When I brought all new appliances for the new kitchen the sales person stated that appliances are not built the way they used to be in that they no longer last 20-30 years.  Realistically new appliances will last only ~10 years.

Best,
John

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #43 on: 15 Feb 2014, 07:28 pm »
Greg
try either running the dishwasher with a couple of cups of white vinegar poured into the bottom and /or the dishwasher cleaner they sell at the grocery store. May need to do this a couple of times

David

David,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have tried the dishwasher cleaner with no luck but have not tried vinegar. I will give that a try and see what happens. The Tang suggestion was from a couple different appliance techs. so I bought a big container of it but it doesn't fix the problem for very long and never all the way.

I wrote this mostly to let the OP know they are not perfect but it is still the best dishwasher I have owned and I have owned many.

Maybe the truth is as john1970 stated they just don't last that long anymore.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:17 am »
This may only apply to Canada - I don't know whether they are available in the States or elsewhere - but when we were buying the salesman steered us toward Blomberg which he said was made in a factory in Turkey which used to make them for Bosch until Bosch changed their manufacturing strategy. The store also sold Bosch and they were side by side and did look essentially identical. The salesman also said he bought a Blomberg for his family and was very pleased with it.
We bought one and it's great. It cleans well and is very quiet indeed–much quieter than I am used to hearing. It was about 2/3 the price of the Bosch equivalent.
The store was Trail Appliances.

avta

« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2014, 03:18 pm »
We have a Bosch dishwasher that came with the house we bought 2 yrs ago. It works well. I'm guessing it's about 10 yrs old. We had some problems with grease buildup in the outlet hose and had it cleaned. The tech suggested running a capful of Pinesol in the washer once a month. ( be careful as it is not low sudsing ) I haven't done that as I've had good luck with vinegar. It's necessary with our washer to put about a cupful in the top rack then run a short cycle. I mention the top rack because when the machine starts it pumps water out of the dishwasher before it fills. If you pour the vinegar in the machine it will be pumped out before filling. I do this once a month. So far so good.