Mavericks or Lion

ebag4

Mavericks or Lion
« on: 2 Feb 2014, 07:58 pm »
I have recently picked up a 2011 Mac Mini that I will be using as my music server.  I have loaded Mavericks on a new Samsung SSD using an external firewire HDD case.  Now I am rethinking using Mavericks as opposed to Lion.  I believe if I erase the SSD I can stick it in the Mac Mini and it will load Lion via the internet.  For those of you who have moved from Lion to Mavericks, especially if you are using Audirvana, was upgrading to Mavericks a mistake?

Thanks,
Ed

mg8

• Roll Away the Dew
Re: Mavericks or Lion
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:05 pm »
I have Audirivana Plus and Lion.  I have not heard of negative implications with Mavericks but I am of the "If it's not broken..." camp. 

dburna

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:39 pm »
Upgrading to Mavericks was a HUGE mistake.  Don't do it -- seriously -- until there is widespread press that its (many) bugs are fixed.  Especially if you are using the mac Mini in a headless capacity -- Screen Sharing is badly broken and almost unusable.

-dB (who has serious Mavericks "buyer's" remourse)

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:45 pm »
Ebag4,

I think the Maverick works better in a quad core processor.

(Doesn't everything.   :lol: )

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2014, 08:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  The screen sharing using splashtop was poor at best, that is one reason I asked the question.

Best,
Ed

Churlish

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2014, 05:34 am »
The splashtop app is due for an upgrade.

I talked with Tech about the performance issues, as I use for classroom management of video projector(s)...they tell me the upgrade for OSX Mavericks is "imminent"
 :roll:

Photon46

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2014, 10:57 am »
At the university where I work, our IT department has issued strongly worded advisories against "upgrading" to Mavericks. I hear and read nothing but endless reports of bugs and problems with Mavericks.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2014, 11:11 am »
Maybe Apple have a leapfrog system now too. I mostly skipped Lion, ML seems really great. So... next up... Roninja!

avta

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:13 pm »
I'm using Mavericks on a 2010 Mac Mini with 4 gig RAM and Audirvana without problems. I don't use it in headless configuration however.

scb

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:33 pm »
Upgrading to Mavericks was a HUGE mistake.  Don't do it -- seriously -- until there is widespread press that its (many) bugs are fixed.  Especially if you are using the mac Mini in a headless capacity -- Screen Sharing is badly broken and almost unusable.

This is the only way I use my Mac Mini and it works perfectly fine for me with Mavericks.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:51 pm »
I have heard that Maverick has some issues. I have never used any other OS. So I have no experience with the others.
But, I have had no glitches with mac mini. But, I believe it's the processor that helps, a faster processor always helps.

Imho,  new OS, used with minimal speed processors = troubles. I think that's also a problem with the MS products. But, on a much grander scale, of course. That's why I switched to a mac. Much happier with my mac.

dnd

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2014, 02:55 am »
The next question will be:

"If you have Mavericks already installed on your mini, how do you get it back to Mountain Lion or any other earlier OSX?"

I have Maverick on mine (a late 2009) and am trying to figure it out...unsuccessfully so far.

Gearplay

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2014, 03:37 am »
One problem I know with the newest OS is that the hiface no longer works with it, only a problem if you use one.