New, our feared second generation ABX component comparitor.

Wayner

Re: New, our feared second generation ABX component comparitor.
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2014, 01:21 pm »

You are making a cavalier assumption on the the person's knowledge you have no way of knowing one way or the other.  He may very well understand the entering arguments as stated above, and could still come to the same conclusion.  Some of the hard core DIY crowd woulld tell you that the ABX box itself is going to alter the sound in some minor way by choice of resistor types, pots, impedance deltas from the introduction of the ABX device, etc.

I'm not saying that the ABX device isn't a good tool (it is).  I'm just saying it has limitations just like any part of the playback chain.  It is certainly debatable as to the scope of the change (I'm sure it's very litle), but it's not zero.

Thank you, Freo-1.

Wayner
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2014, 03:42 pm by Wayner »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:44 pm »
  The ABX box for any Manufacturer or Audio Club is IMO a required tool for evaluation. Great idea and execution Frank.

charles

avahifi

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2014, 05:38 pm »
The complete user manual for our new AVA ABX box is available free of charge as a .pdf download.

Just e-mail us at avahifi@comcast.net and ask for it.

Frank Van Alstine

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm »
I agree with the long term fatigue stuff but most people here should get a good read in less than a week. The "air" between wall sockets should be readily apparent.  :lol:  it would be nice to not have to wear my chest waders just to read the latest posts here on AC. By the way dovetail joints in hardwood sound so much better than butt joints.

Smell better, too..

cornelius

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2014, 09:08 pm »
Frank, this is amazing!  Every reviewer should have this component. 

xsb7244

« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2014, 06:36 pm »
Can you also compare turntables and cartridges?

avahifi

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2014, 08:41 pm »
It is not easy to directly compare phono cartridges or phono preamplifiers. If you had two identical turntable arm combinations and a different phono cartridge in each setup and then identical RIAA phono preamps for each, then you could compare them using the source inputs.  However there would be a good chance that small differences in the two turntable setups would swamp the sonic differences.  We have been able to compare phono preamps, but this was tricky as it was necessary to split the phono output before the phono preamps and with moving coil low input impedance loads it was way to easy to end up with hum dominating.

The AVA ABX comparitor works best for line level comparisons.

If you are interested I can e-mail you a .pdf copy of the complete user manual for our ABX comparitor.

Frank Van Alstine

xsb7244

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2014, 11:54 pm »
Thanks for the explanation.

JDoyle

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2014, 01:23 am »
Wouldn't this be the ideal (and shouldn't it be marketed as such) Audiophile Home Theater/2 channel AB switch for Your Main's, as opposed to a HT bypass?

~jd