checking power supply in new house

CButterworth

« on: 11 Aug 2004, 04:50 pm »
After months of anticipation, I am finally packing and moving east to Phoenix, Arizona (in the middle of summer!).

So, I am moving into a modular home on county land, outside of Phoenix - it has a fenced acre of land, so the dog will be happy.  However, my concern is whether I should simply plug in my CD, AKSA, etc and fire them up, or whether, I need to make some checks on the power supply first (of course, I need to check whether the electric is switched on  :lol: ).

How do I check for ground loops, etc?  Does it really matter?  What is the worst that could happen?

Any answers, please.

Regards,
Charlie

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2004, 09:47 pm »
Charlie,

Just plug it in, check bias, offset and listen for hum.  If it's OK now, it's more than likely to be fine in Phoenix......  even in all that blistering heat.

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2004, 12:57 am »
The worst thing that could happen is that the air conditioning could go out.  Who wants to listen to music in a sauna!!!!

CButterworth

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2004, 04:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Of course the amp works fine.  I need to work on speaker placement a little.  My old place had concrete floors covered in carpet and the speaker spikes went right through to the carpet.  My new place has wooden floors - quite solid, but not concrete.  I think I'll buy a pair of stone tiles and set the speakers on them.

I was also glad of a good quality surge protector as we had a fierce lightning storm on our first evening here.  I did make sure that the amp and cd-player were switched off for that!

Other than that, erverything is fine, in spite of the seasonably warm temps of 106F.

Thanks,
Charlie

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2004, 07:14 pm »
CB, welcome to Phoenix.  I too am using brand-name surge protectors on ALL my A/V equipment.  You just missed a month of higher thermostat settings (and temps, of course) due to a fire in a transformer farm in the NW valley.

BTW, we have an active audio club here; see http://www.azaudioclub.com/home/index.html.