New Toy - Sony RX100MK2

bside123

New Toy - Sony RX100MK2
« on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm »
I finally bit the bullet and added a compact camera to the collection. I waited for announcement after announcement from the camera manufacturers on their latest developments and finally decided to try the Sony RX100MK2.

It was a hard choice given there are many fine contenders at this point. However, I did want a variable lens. I was able to also acquire the EVF accessory (too expensive by itself) with the preowned, package deal I purchased. There's still 1/2 year left on the warranty for the whole kit.

Wow... :scratch:  there's a steep learning curve on this puppy, but I am excited by the promise of a 1" sensor, 20MP and a high-end processor in such a small, pocket-sized unit. At first glance, I am impressed.

I'll send over some photos once I'm up and running...  :thumb:

untitled-1-2.jpg

SET Man

Re: New Toy - Sony RX100MK2
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm »
Hey!

Nice! I'm jealous... very  :green:

I remembered the original one first came out, I wanted one but kept holding it off. Now the MK2 have been out for awhile, I have to ask myself "Do I really need it right now?" So with that I still didn't get one yet  :icon_lol:

I have to say personally, I think it is the best small P&S digicam out there right now... near perfection I feel. I like the fact that Sony designed this one with a photographer in mind, picture quality, nice zoom range with great glass, flexibility control and etc. Hmmm... now I'm getting an itch again  :lol:

I'm surprise how expensive the EVF cost, not sure if it is worth it.

Anyway, enjoy... I'm sure you will and let us know how you like it.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm »
Congrats, like Buddy said one of the best out there.

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2014, 11:14 pm »

I'm surprise how expensive the EVF cost, not sure if it is worth it.

Yea...  the EVF, brand-new and all by itself, is crazy expensive and would be hard to justify. I was lucky and found a complete package that included:

Sony RX100 M2 Camera
FDA-EV1MK Viewfinder w/ Extra Eye Cups
2 extra Sony OEM Batteries for a total of 3.
USB cable and plug
Lowepro Carry Case
Kata Belt Case
Extra Leather Strap
Richard Franiec Grip
32GB SDHC(10) card
Original Boxes
6 mos. left on the Warranty

All the above for one, low price. Such a deal that I couldn't refuse.

ThuanDB

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:25 pm »
Congrats!  Mine looks very similar.  Maybe it's about time to get a good book on the camera.  I like its AWB - spot on most of the time indoors.  The EVF helps getting more keepers, flash doesn't without a tripod.

bside123

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2014, 10:12 pm »
Here's a few images snapped on Sony super compact RX100MK2 in various lighting conditions, post snow and ice storms, in the last few days. All are handheld using available light. The camera was set on "Automatic" for the Macro and the Portrait. I'm enjoying getting know this camera, but really haven't had enough time to shoot as much as I'd like. Now, all I need is for the sun to come out! All images shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom 5.3.

Cropped B&W Conversion

Winter Farm Shed

Macro

Frozen Rain Chain 1

Icy Night Shot

Winter Dusk in Jeff's Backyard

Portrait Set on Automatic

Nice Cold Mark