Can I re-purpose my iMac...???

StereoNut

« on: 26 Jan 2014, 05:10 pm »

I have a older iMac that has been great, but is really outdated at this point. (See screen-grabs below for more info.)  The display is wonderful, but the generation Mac that it is can only upgrade the OS software one more level, but Apple tells me that it would slow the machine down even further!

A lot of programs and software now are requiring a newer OS to run, so the machine is getting me frustrated.  Can I buy a new Mac mini or laptop that has the latest OS as a CPU to run from and piggyback the iMac to either one of them to use as a monitor and extra storage WITHOUT using the old, outdated OS on it?  Even better (I think?) would be if I could disable the old OS on the iMac.

As an added attraction (if what I'm asking about here is "do-able"...???) I'd eventually like to be able to "shuttle" whatever new computer I choose back 'n forth from the iMac to my stereo system as a computer front end!

All suggestions would be appreciated.  Oh, one more thing... It's OK, you can tell me I'm crazy!  ;) 

SN

rpf

Re: Can I re-purpose my iMac...???
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2014, 07:59 pm »
Hey Bill,

How's it going?

Yes, you can use the iMac as a monitor for a newer Mac Mini. You would be using the OS on the Mini so it doesn't matter what's on the iMac. I'm pretty sure you can also use it as an external drive.

How's the EE DAC project going?

Rob

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2014, 10:37 pm »
I am sure you're looking for an Apple based solution, but I bet that computer would run very well as a dedicated music server.

OS choices would include Daphile, Vortexbox or many other Linux based music server type software.  They thrive on older, lower powered hardware, and once installed you can do all that you would likely want to, from another computer.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm »

StereoNut

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2014, 01:46 am »
I love it!  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2014, 08:49 am »
That's the problem (one of the problems) with iMacs.

If as someone said above you can use it as a display for a Mini, that seems like simple solution. Minis are easy to move.