AVS Forum Meeting

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
AVS Forum Meeting
« on: 22 Jan 2014, 03:21 am »
Last weekend I took part in a speaker shootout near Philadelphia. Here's the link if you're interested in the results...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1512849/january-18th-loudspeaker-gtg-results-thread

kip_

Re: AVS Forum Meeting
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2014, 05:52 pm »
Sounds like you should've brought bigger arrays or a bigger amp. Next time bring the full scale ArcArray and IcePower?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
Sounds like you should've brought bigger arrays or a bigger amp. Next time bring the full scale ArcArray and IcePower?

True, I knew going in the other systems were much larger but relished the challenge. They fared quite well; in fact, several people noted they were surprised that they could keep up like they did. Due to connectivity issues I couldn't use the pro amp that they had there. In hindsight that was actually good because it had a high output impedance.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2014, 04:56 pm »

Well, the others might have been bigger but Sibuna provided a very positive and encouraging review of the CBT line arrays, good on ya' Rick:

"Speaker B: CBT Line Arrays:
Now these were interesting. Small speakers but a big sound. Great looking speakers with the veneer work and their curved shape. Even knowing what these were I was floored by the sound coming out of them. The only other line arrays I have heard were the LS6 as the last G2G, these had a totally different feel to them. With the LS6 I felt the sound stage was really 3D, it just seemed to envelop you from everywhere. I didn’t get that with these, but what I did get was an evenness in presentation from front to back of the room. There didn’t seem to be a bad spot to hear these. The Vocals on the Spanish Harlem track were IMO the best of the night. They were just smooth on everything, the only speaker where I heard every recording issue on the Tron track. Reminded me of Bens hyper accurate KRKs. Great vocal separation and presentation on “Somewhere” and “Hey Hey”. I did get the feeling we were running them pretty close to as loud as they would like to be played. SPL junkies be warned. Not sure I would choose these for a HT application based on that and what I know we had to do to lvl match them, but for a 2/2.1 channel setup these are currently the front runner of what I have heard. (Assuming I ever rob a bank) Would LOVE to hear one of the bigger arrays."

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2014, 09:19 pm »
Well, the others might have been bigger but Sibuna provided a very positive and encouraging review of the CBT line arrays, good on ya' Rick:

"Speaker B: CBT Line Arrays:
Now these were interesting. Small speakers but a big sound. Great looking speakers with the veneer work and their curved shape. Even knowing what these were I was floored by the sound coming out of them. The only other line arrays I have heard were the LS6 as the last G2G, these had a totally different feel to them. With the LS6 I felt the sound stage was really 3D, it just seemed to envelop you from everywhere. I didn’t get that with these, but what I did get was an evenness in presentation from front to back of the room. There didn’t seem to be a bad spot to hear these. The Vocals on the Spanish Harlem track were IMO the best of the night. They were just smooth on everything, the only speaker where I heard every recording issue on the Tron track. Reminded me of Bens hyper accurate KRKs. Great vocal separation and presentation on “Somewhere” and “Hey Hey”. I did get the feeling we were running them pretty close to as loud as they would like to be played. SPL junkies be warned. Not sure I would choose these for a HT application based on that and what I know we had to do to lvl match them, but for a 2/2.1 channel setup these are currently the front runner of what I have heard. (Assuming I ever rob a bank) Would LOVE to hear one of the bigger arrays."

Thanks - I had missed that post.