Where's Ruben (outofthewoods) been?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: Where's Ruben (outofthewoods) been?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2014, 02:06 am »
Nice to see you back here Ruben, I really enjoy your build pictures and the amazing work you do.

Greg

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:00 am »
So that is 0.35 cu. ft. per driver, 0.7 cu. ft. for the 2 drivers - correct? Are they opposed? If so I'm very interested.

Hi Rick,

Yep. Dual opposed in 0.7 cu. ft. of shared space.

Ruben

Here's a shot of the goods.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:35 am »
Nice to see you back here Ruben, I really enjoy your build pictures and the amazing work you do.

Greg

Thanks man. It's nice to be back "home". :thumb:

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:46 am »
Ruben,

Thanks. So do the front and rear baffle overlap the edges and seal against the leatherette using it like a gasket or is that an optical illusion?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't have any build pics, but this one should help explain how I finish it off.

This close-up may help, too.

Best!

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2014, 04:08 am »
I just noticed that for some reason the side of the N3 looks lumpy/bubbled. It's really not.

There are quite a few dusty smudges on there, too.

Ruben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2014, 04:58 am »
Man you'good! I could never smooth a single piece of material around all those curves and corners with no wrinkles or bunching.

Let's see how close I can come to figuring out how you did it

For the sub it looks like you wrapped the letherette around the sides before attaching the outer baffles

On the N3 the only thing I can think of is that you cut a daddo down the center of the back and a rabbet around the port opening so there was a recess for the letherette then added a trim piece down the centre of the back and the port cover to hide the ends of the letherette

How close am I?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2014, 06:03 am »
However he did it,  it is very impressive  . 
Good  ideas on how it was done Mike, although  if he did the sub  that , how would you get the outer baffle to sit down  tight against the inner one after the leatherette is wrapped over ?  Is it just trimmed  at the face of the inner baffle  so  that once the outer baffle is  on, it mates up to it perfectly and doesn't actually wrap over at all ?

In any  case,  I bet it was  very time consuming...  very nice Ruben

-jay

rms8

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:36 pm »
These pics remind me of the finishes on the AV123 offerings from long ago!  :thumb:

I completely see why Ruben comes highly recommended.

Ruben,
Would you be interested in building an LS-C?  Wouldn't need it for 2-3 more months unless you had time now?????  I would just need to match the Satin Rosewood from Angel City Audio.  I plan on purchasing a pair of LS-6 in the nest 2-3 months.

Thanks Ruben !!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:32 am »
Let's see how close I can come to figuring out how you did it

For the sub it looks like you wrapped the letherette around the sides before attaching the outer baffles

Hi Mike,

That is correct.

the N3 the only thing I can think of is that you cut a daddo down the center of the back and a rabbet around the port opening so there was a recess for the letherette then added a trim piece down the centre of the back and the port cover to hide the ends of the letherette

How close am I?

You got it. :thumb:

The pictures explained it better than I would have.

Ruben

Here's how it looks top to bottom.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:36 am »
Not only are those absolutely gorgeous you don't have to spend a couple of weeks hand polishing veneer like I'm currently doing on my N3's  :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:43 am »
However he did it,  it is very impressive  . 
Good  ideas on how it was done Mike, although  if he did the sub  that , how would you get the outer baffle to sit down  tight against the inner one after the leatherette is wrapped over ?  Is it just trimmed  at the face of the inner baffle  so  that once the outer baffle is  on, it mates up to it perfectly and doesn't actually wrap over at all ?

Hi Jay,

Actually, the leatherette does not wrap underneath the outer baffle. The outer baffles fit tightly against the inner ones.

any  case,  I bet it was  very time consuming...  very nice Ruben

Thanks!

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:53 am »
Not only are those absolutely gorgeous you don't have to spend a couple of weeks hand polishing veneer like I'm currently doing on my N3's  :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

Cool, man! Yeah, that's a lot of work. Can't wait to see them. :thumb:

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2014, 02:25 am »
These pics remind me of the finishes on the AV123 offerings from long ago!  :thumb:

I completely see why Ruben comes highly recommended.

Thanks, Rob!

b]Ruben,
Would you be interested in building an LS-C?

Absolutely.

I wouldn't need it for 2-3 more months unless you had time now?????

I've got a few things to knock out first, but I can chip away at it as time allows. I'd estimate approx. 8-10 weeks until it would ship.

I would just need to match the Satin Rosewood from Angel City Audio.  I plan on purchasing a pair of LS-6 in the nest 2-3 months.[/b]

I've built a few Satin Rosewood LS-C's to match AV123's LS-6/9's. I think ACA is using the same supplier, so the color should match up well.

I have some very nice Rosewood veneer set aside specifically for LS-C's.

Ruben

Here's one sitting on a matching stand.

rms8

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:00 pm »
WOW.....having a hard time finding words to describe those pics.  Not even Google can help.  And the matching stand  :o  Speechless.  Looks like a $3000 speaker/stand combo.

Definitely hooked.

My plan was to get the LS-6 from Hugh.  I just wish he had other finishes available.  But then I saw your pics of the leatherette wrapped builds and started wishing for an LS-6 + LS-C finished in the same manner.

Any chance on you being able to manage a project like that or should I just stick with Plan-A ?  I'm still nearly 4 months out at the moment (on the completion of my HT project).

Thanks Ruben!
Rob

PS: Do you have a photobucket/shutterfly/pastebin....sort of place that you post pics to your builds that I could browse?

wgallupe

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jan 2014, 08:40 pm »
Hey Ruben,

I sent you an email a few days ago about a quote for enclosures. Did you get it?

Regards,
Wayne

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:08 pm »
WOW.....having a hard time finding words to describe those pics.  Not even Google can help.  And the matching stand  :o  Speechless.  Looks like a $3000 speaker/stand combo.

Definitely hooked.

Thank you sir! Glad you like it.

A neat feature of the stand is that it's height and tilt adjustable.

My plan was to get the LS-6 from Hugh.  I just wish he had other finishes available.  But then I saw your pics of the leatherette wrapped builds and started wishing for an LS-6 + LS-C finished in the same manner.

Any chance on you being able to manage a project like that or should I just stick with Plan-A ?  I'm still nearly 4 months out at the moment (on the completion of my HT project).

Sure, I can build a complete set for you. I've been wanting to finish some LS's  like that.

PS: Do you have a photobucket/shutterfly/pastebin....sort of place that you post pics to your builds that I could browse?

Actually, AC member Chip put together a web page with a bunch of my work. I lost the link with my old email account, so I'll need to ask him for it again. I'll post it here ASAP.

Ruben

chip

« Reply #36 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:12 pm »
Guys - here is the link for pics of Rubens work.

http://burbey.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fallen-Enclosures

rms8

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:13 pm »

Sure, I can build a complete set for you. I've been wanting to finish some LS's  like that.

N I C E  !

Should we take this off line to discuss your fee's and what not?  This is something I am really excited about!

Let me know how you would like to proceed Ruben.

Rob

:thumb:

rms8

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:17 pm »
Guys - here is the link for pics of Rubens work.

http://burbey.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fallen-Enclosures

Oh man....that is truly very impressive build/finishing skills.  Bookmarked!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jan 2014, 09:18 pm »
Hey Ruben,

I sent you an email a few days ago about a quote for enclosures. Did you get it?

Regards,
Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Sorry about that. I didn't get it.

Several months ago I lost access to my yahoo email account fallenenclosures@yahoo.com. My current email address is fallenenclosures@outlook.com.

Best,

Ruben