Freo-1

Re: Your "Go to" Album
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:15 am »
These are mine:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2014, 02:31 am »
Don't you fret none, dB Cooper, I bought Apostrophe' and One Size Fits All at my local record store as soon as they came out and they're still in really good condition.
I'm looking forward to picking up the remastered vinyl reissues as soon as they come out, too.
It's hard to believe that not only did I lug those albums around for decades but I still listen to them.
Even worse, I'm going to see his kid play his dad's music next month. 
This means that I'm old, doesn't it?

I have the Au20 releases (as well as the vinyl and standard CDs) of those two masterpieces and they are exceptional CDs in every way.

Dweezil may be Frank's kid, but he's certainly not a kid anymore. It's a wonderful thing that he has done - committing so much of his time and energy to continuing Frank's legacy, when he could be establishing his own (beyond his most genuine realization of a Zappa show).  I'd tell you to enjoy the show, but there isn't the slightest chance that won't happen. :D 

Yeah, Steve, we are getting a bit old. It does have a few advantages, being older. I have more free time for listening to music these days, and a better system with which to do it.

'Tap: John Zorn's Book of Angels, Vol. 20' by Pat Metheny has the makings of a good diagnostic tool. It's been in steady rotation since its arrival. 

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:42 am »
Telarc recording of the Cleveland Orchestra playing Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition"

Second is Alan Parson's "I Robot"

Then Cincinnati Pop's (on Telarc):

Round-Up
Star Tracks
Star Tracks II

HsvHeelFan

vinyl_lady

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jan 2014, 07:40 pm »
Fleetwood Mac, Rumours 45 RPM
Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde, 45 RPM
The Decemberists, The Hazards of Love. This will tell you how well your system does with the lowest notes on a Hammond B3.
The Beatles, Abbey Road from the British Parlophone Blue Box
Neil Young, Live at Massey Hall

I also use Rob Wasserman's Duets, Ballad of the Runaway Horse with Jennifer Warnes to check the bass and mid bass response whenever I change or audition a piece of equipment and when voicing the system.

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jan 2014, 08:24 pm »
Don't you fret none, dB Cooper, I bought Apostrophe' and One Size Fits All at my local record store as soon as they came out and they're still in really good condition.
I'm looking forward to picking up the remastered vinyl reissues as soon as they come out, too.
It's hard to believe that not only did I lug those albums around for decades but I still listen to them.
Even worse, I'm going to see his kid play his dad's music next month. 
This means that I'm old, doesn't it?
"Seasoned", Steve. Seasoned. Will you be wearing your python boots to the show?

If I were listing my go-to Zappa albums, they would be... Well, many of them, but probably One Size Fits All, Overnite Sensation, Grand Wazoo, and Freak Out near the top. Choosing between FZ albums is like choosing between your fingers though... I want 'em all with me at all times.  :lol:

BobM

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2014, 09:22 pm »
There are just too many I could go to, but for some reason these tend to migrate to the top, for various reasons, when I am trying to test something, or adjust set up, or just impress someone with some great sound.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm »
With regards to Dweezil, maybe I'll go one better and bring a python to the show.
My wife can wear the amulet and we'll sit next to the fuming incense stencher, ha, ha.

I should also mention Swastika Girls on Fripp/Eno's No Pussyfooting - if that F note (played on the A string) on one of the tape loops sticks out like a sore thumb there's a problem. 
That's the one that was killing me with the old 20.7s.  I gave a listen today and it's just fine with the 3.7s.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2014, 01:53 am »
Excellent thread. My go-to album would be Return to Forever's "Romantic Warrior". The album is just loaded with everything from infectious fusion grooves to acoustical recitals.

Michael Hedges "Breakfast in the Field" is another favorite.

For rock I like to pull out Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs and King Crimson's Red or Thrak. I can easily grab Overnight Sensation or UFO's Force it. Then there's a ton of straight ahead jazz & ECM recordings. But I'll leave it at that. 

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014, 12:55 am by CactusBob »