JBL Studio 530

alphaiii

Re: JBL Studio 530
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jan 2014, 06:15 pm »
Hello alphaiii
From another owner at AVS
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1509444/looking-for-main-bookshelf-speakers-under-400-to-complete-2-1-setup-avr-and-sw-already-in-the-mail#post_24158877

I am even recommending them at full price.

I know it's just his preference, but "beating" the NHT Three says something about the quality of those JBL...

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for them to drop in price again... if they ever do.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2014, 06:25 pm »
I know it's just his preference, but "beating" the NHT Three says something about the quality of those JBL...

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for them to drop in price again... if they ever do.

I have not done a side by side yet with the Snell K7 - however, I know it will be close
They already beat the Snell in the bass - and nearly have the same bass as the Boston
VS260 - JBL did something here

alphaiii

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2014, 06:29 pm »
I have not done a side by side yet with the Snell K7 - however, I know it will be close
They already beat the Snell in the bass - and nearly have the same bass as the Boston
VS260 - JBL did something here

Other than the Ascend Sierra-1... I think the VS260 has the best bass of any bookshelf I've owned/heard. I thought it handedly beat the NHT Three in that regard.

Seems JBL did well with that woofer then.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #23 on: 5 Jan 2014, 04:42 pm »
Them Studio 530 speakers are good - and I continue to enjoy them >>

The vocals are nice - all of the frequencies are nice - the bass is rich and tight and deep, and if one did not know -
they would not believe that it is only a 5-1/4 inch woofer. Also, if properly set-up, the soundstage will create a 3D
experience - they do need to be toed in - and they do need a nice room to breathe in. >> This is not your average
so-called small room speaker. They have nice detail, definition and depth - and have a lot of air - they sound better
than a lot of dome tweeters. The sound is smooth, balanced, transparent and clean - They do not come at you to slap
you in the face - they draw you into the stage. They sound better than their regular over 600 dollar list price, with a
street price of $599. Still a solid deal at the street price, I will continue to recommend them at that price > if found
below that price, then you really have one of the better deals around.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2014, 05:58 pm by zieglj01 »

zieglj01

• AV Trekker

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2014, 01:47 am »
The Studio 530 has been moving - Amazon, and their key market place sellers
have sold out - and that happened after the sale, with going back to the regular
street price. Harman Audio still has them online. It also seems that more stock
is coming.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2014, 10:15 am »
With Andrew Jones on board, an experienced well resourced company with economy of scale on their side like JBL should have no problem producing quality products, especially are lower price ranges.  I blame stockholders for allowing cottage companies (like many of our AC vendors) to compete beyond the market niches. 

srb

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2014, 01:53 pm »
With Andrew Jones on board, an experienced well resourced company with economy of scale on their side like JBL should have no problem producing quality products, especially are lower price ranges.

I've missed something.  How is Andrew Jones of Pioneer/TAD affiliated with Harman/JBL?

Steve

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2014, 10:37 pm »
The designer of the Studio 530 is Greg Timbers
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/people/timbers.htm

He has been with JBL since 1972 and is currently chief development officer for Harman Consumer Group.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2014, 03:23 am »
I was more curious about the JBL Studio 530 bookshelf speaker crossover, since the picture does not
seem to cover the whole look of the crossover. To my surprise, it is an 18 element crossover - this is
unique for a 2-way $600 bookshelf. That magnet on the woofer is heavy - and there is no cross-bracing.
However, the cabinet does pretty good on the door-knock test - and the front baffle is 1 inch.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm »
Now both Amazon and JBL/Harman, have the Studio 530 at $479.95

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #31 on: 27 Jan 2014, 02:59 pm »
Now both Amazon and JBL/Harman, have the Studio 530 at $479.95

You still liking the Studio 530 speakers? While not the fantastic deal you got, that is a tempting price point as well. I need to do something in the family room soon since my 1.5 year old has now become interested in what's behind my Magnepans. How are they on music? No HT for me.

Thanks.

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jan 2014, 06:44 pm »
You still liking the Studio 530 speakers? While not the fantastic deal you got, that is a tempting price point as well. I need to do something in the family room soon since my 1.5 year old has now become interested in what's behind my Magnepans. How are they on music? No HT for me. Thanks.

I still like them a lot - they really shine for music - now for some people it
would be an adjustment with the JBL - because they have a good clean and
transparent sound >> some people are use to the distortion that is present
in some speakers. The detail and definition is there, with the nice spacious
soundstage. Some people prefer a pronounced mid-range - The JBL Studio
530 will not have that. They are worth the current price and then some.