Is this going to happen? A review of the supercharged SongTowers

NIGHTFALL1970

Re: Is this going to happen?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jan 2014, 04:03 pm »
I notice that none of them liked the Magnepan 1.7s.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2014, 01:48 pm »
Looks like these are the participants for Feb 22/23 event:

Ascend
Dynaudio
Polk
PSB
Salk
Tannoy

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 4 Feb 2014, 09:16 pm »
Here are pictures of the smokey silver gray Supercharged SongTowers we just shipped to the event...

And a close-up...

These will be available at the conclusion of the event.

- Jim

JonnyFive

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2014, 09:33 pm »
Can't wait to read all about it!

rocker9999

« Reply #24 on: 4 Feb 2014, 11:16 pm »
Where is the Event?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:44 pm »
Where is the Event?

Deep south.  Happens tomorrow and Sunday.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2014, 12:53 am »
Interesting, Home Theater Shack recently ordered our new ABX box that they said they needed by Feb 18th to prepare for an important test.  I guess its purpose is to use for the speaker shootout.  With true level matched double blind tests, it is going to be hard to beat the Salks.

Frank Van Alstine

fishinbob

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:02 am »
Interesting, Home Theater Shack recently ordered our new ABX box that they said they needed by Feb 18th to prepare for an important test.  I guess its purpose is to use for the speaker shootout.  With true level matched double blind tests, it is going to be hard to beat the Salks.

Frank Van Alstine
The date seems right but they've stated quite a few times that it is not a shootout. It is curious though.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:37 pm »
Of course they could just use the AVA ABX box to seamlessly swap power amplifiers to the speakers to determine how a different kind of power amp affects the sonics of the speakers.  This would be a useful process as not all speakers like all amplifiers.

Frank Van Alstine

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2014, 05:14 pm »
I guess its a matter of how you define a shootout. I think its 6 or so persons who comment on their impressions. Luverne is just west of Troy, Alabama down close to the coast, I'm from Alabama. I predict should Salk fair well ( which I think they will) it will be a big feather in the hat and result in more recognition down here.

Frank if they don't use your box they should. I would love to have one. I know you have several Salk speakers but do you have SS8??? Id like to hear the differences.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2014, 08:12 pm »
The new (Rev 2) ABX box is $999.  This is about the same price as a pair of premium interconnect cables, or a bottom of the line turntable or MC cartridge.  We can ship now.  What's holding you back?

No, I don't own Soundscape 8s but I have heard and used them at several audio shows with Jim.  They are very impressive.  I do own an older set of HT3s, HT2TLs, a new set of Philharmonic Threes, an ancient set of B&W801s, and am waiting for Dennis to finish and ship back to me a set of Pioneer 52 towers. With any luck I will have a set of Janzen electrostats to temporarily play with for while soon too.

Frank

robcentola

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2014, 12:50 am »
Here are pictures of the smokey silver gray Supercharged SongTowers we just shipped to the event...

And a close-up...

These will be available at the conclusion of the event.

- Jim

I do believe this will be the finish on whatever I upgrade to. Love it.

front242

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2014, 05:39 pm »
Here's a link to the thread where the results will be posted.  There are only some general hints about the process there now.  But more description is promised soon.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/73340-official-3-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event.html

I guess since it is hometheatershack, it's ok to demo with those electronics, but it would have been nice to see some pure two-channel stuff employed.

glangford

« Reply #33 on: 1 Mar 2014, 10:11 am »
It's been over a week and no real results posted yet. A paragraph of initial impressions without mentioning any brand names. Wish they'd hurry up.

robcentola

« Reply #34 on: 1 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm »
I'm guessing the unnamed speaker with the beautiful finish was the Salks.

Let's go Home Theater Shack......we're waiting ;)

glangford

« Reply #35 on: 2 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm »
I'm also guessing the one that sounded real good close to the wall was the Salks.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #36 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:45 pm »
Hard to evaluate speakers when they eq them rather than have them stand on their own

Randy

« Reply #37 on: 4 Mar 2014, 06:53 pm »
How in the world can they determine anything valid using that list of music they posted?

Paul K.

« Reply #38 on: 4 Mar 2014, 07:01 pm »
I had the very same question when I looked at their proposed play lists.  Without any intent to criticize or poo-poo forum members about their musical preferences, I don't remember seeing a single track having acoustical instruments played in an acoustical environment.  So, how can it be at all possible to judge the real quality of the speaker systems on hand?
Paul

How in the world can they determine anything valid using that list of music they posted?