First time buying a tuner please addvice

captain

« on: 8 Aug 2004, 02:02 pm »
Hi

Can any body advice me on a tuner.

I live in the UK and have up to £400 to spend. I have a computer headphone system. Etymotic ER-4S headphones , GSP Solo MK III Amp and a computer with a E-mu 0404 sound card.

I would like to add a tuner and have seen a  High fidelity X-Plora FM Tuner and A3 on eBay which I could bid on. are there any comments on these two which is better . Also I have seen a Naim Audio NAT 02 advertised on web site for about £500 is it worth pushing the boat out for one of these, also can you get a cable to use it with RCA connection.

Are modern tuners in my price range going to better these older ones.

Really need any advice I can get, I do not read HiFi mags so am not current with what's about.  Once I make my choice that will be it for a long while.

Thanks for looking

Kirk

orthobiz

« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2004, 11:41 pm »
Go to
fmtunerinfo.com
look all around.

Ed Hanlon at antennaperformance.com
is a good source in the states...get a
used and modded tuner!

biz

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2004, 11:50 pm »
Try a PM or email to member 3moons.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=675  :)

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2004, 01:21 am »
Hi Captain,  Just want to concur with both Orthobiz and Lonewolf, IMHO the old analogs are the way to go.  I've three early to mid 70's units (two are receiver's though) that perform beautifully.  The tuner has been moded by Antenna Performance Specialties, though you should be able to find somebody comparable out/over your way.

Are the models you mentioned satallite tuners?

Gordy

orthobiz

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2004, 02:25 am »
And, pardon my ignorance, but do you get 88-108 in England? I know some areas of the world are different...

I have a modded Magnum Dynalab FT-101, but am desperately waiting my home improvement project's completion for a real anntenna hookup (also Antenna Performance)

The analog tuning is the way to go. I hate being locked into some off-tuned quartz crystal's idea of where I should be...

biz

captain

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2004, 07:08 am »
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Has any body heard of a Leak Troughline II tuner with a Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder. I have managed to find one and after reading this review here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/featureshtml/timdeparadecoder.html I was convinced to buy it. Not a direction I thought I would go down, but after going to FM tuner info as suggested and the related yahoo group I am curtain I have done the right thing.

Thanks again for your help

Cap

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2004, 03:18 pm »
Quote from: captain
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Has any body heard of a Leak Troughline II tuner with a Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder. I have managed to find one and after reading this review here http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/featureshtml/timdeparadecoder.html I was convinced to buy it. Not a direction I thought I would go down, but after going to FM tuner info as suggested and the related yahoo group I am curtain I have done the right thing.

Thanks again for your help

Cap

now, you need to get one of the standard vintage tuners that's highly rated on the fmtunerinfo.com site (may wanna check jim rivers' shootouts), & do an a-b, so all us tuna freaks on this side of the pond can have a point of reference to the much talked about troughlines & deparavacini decoders!   :wink:

doug s.

michael w

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:31 am »
And don't forget to budget for a good outdoor antenna.

The best tuner in the world will still sound like crap if it's fed a poor signal.

captain

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:04 pm »
Hi

Thanks for your help and advice regarding my first tuner. I have sent the cheque so should get it next week. :mrgreen:

I paid £300 about  $550 dose this seem like a reasonable price.

Also could any body advice on a aerial I may get here in the UK. A Ron Smith may be a bit out of my price range.

Thanks once again

Cap

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2004, 05:10 pm »
Quote from: captain
Hi

Thanks for your help and advice regarding my first tuner. I have sent the cheque so should get it next week. :mrgreen:

I paid £300 about  $550 dose this seem like a reasonable price.

Also could any body advice on a aerial I may get here in the UK. A Ron Smith may be a bit out of my price range.

Thanks once again

Cap

i have no idea whether or not that's a good price for that tuna/decoder.  but, it better be good cuz i *do* know that there's mitey-fine tuna to be had for that amount of cash!   :wink:

re: antennae, i dunno if this is awailable in the uk, but a wery good reasonably priced antenna is the winegard hd-6065.  do a web search, & there's lotsa vendors for this.  mebbe some usa vendors will ship to the uk...

doug s.

captain

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2004, 10:48 pm »
Thanks for advise Unfortunately no one sells  winegard hd-6065in the UK. Will try and look state side.

Really funny thing I noticed about price difference from the US to the UK, say some thing cost $100 in the US it would be £100 in the UK. Things are  so much more here. So using that theory if I brought it in the US it would of cost me $300

Any way I will keep you posted

Thanks again

Cap