It never sounded so good. Thank you Audiocircle. I am Speechless!

Cheeseboy

Well now things have taken a turn for the worst.  The new lines have been installed.  I did a quick turn on and turn off as I had chores to do and thought everything was fine until it was time to watch the Niners.  I need some help.  There is a ground problem.  I have what I think is a 60- cycle hum in my amp and on my TV.  It comes and goes.  I have called the electrician and he thinks it is a ground wire that is not installed properly. 

Has anyone had this problem before?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  It is either a poor connection or now having two dedicated lines which is causing ground loop. Try plugging all you can in "one" outlet and see if hum is present. Try both.

charles

Cheeseboy

Thanks Charles,

I have the video gear on one connection and the audio gear on the other.  Both are humming like a drunk at midnight mass. 

I did run an extention cord to the other end of the room just to see if it was the new lines.  I plugged the whole audio system into that extension cord.  No hum in the audio system.  I didn't do the same with the video half of the gear.  If the audio didn't hum I thought the video wouldn't be humming either.

I hope it is a simple connection.  Is there something my electrician should be aware of because he ran two new 20 amp lines into the room?

Steve

SoCalWJS

Seems there was a similar issue raised in another Thread - maybe in the power conditioning forum awhile back? - (but now I can't find the thread) - you may want to post there as well.

Something about sometimes Electricians not doing the ground right when they do 2 dedicated 20A lines for Audio.....?????

Cheeseboy

I recall seeing that post as well.  I'll go looking for it too.

Thanks John

DeeJayBump

Might have something to do with having audio on one line and video on the other line versus everything on one line. See Reply 10 here by DaveC:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=4845.0

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Cheeseboy, try disconnecting the audio system from the video system or try plugging all of the system on one leg of your power. I think the problem is that you are using two different legs from your service panel and then connecting the devices together.

Good Luck,

Greg

MichaelHiFi

They call me Anti-Mike  :green:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Are both 20 amp AC lines on the same phase of the electrical box? 

Cheeseboy

The Electrical 60 cycle hum was the cable system not being grounded properly.  The cable guy came out and routed everything from back at the power box and grounded the system properly.  Hum gone. 

I found a pair of used Kimber Kable Heroes with the upgraded connectors and inserted them between the AntiMode and my Dodd Audio battery preamp last night.  While it may not be the reference grade cable other may have I'm very happy with how fast the cable is and how it masterfully gave new dynamics to the midrange.  Easily one of the best $100 upgrades I've ever made. 

I,ve got one more step to go and then I'm taking the Spring off on upgrades.  I just ordered the Crossover upgrades for my LS-6 speakers from Danny.  I'll check in when they are burned in and sounding right. 

Cheeseboy

They call me Anti-Mike  :green:

Didn't they make a Movie About you?

bdp24

The Electrical 60 cycle hum was the cable system not being grounded properly.  The cable guy came out and routed everything from back at the power box and grounded the system properly.  Hum gone. 

I found a pair of used Kimber Kable Heroes with the upgraded connectors and inserted them between the AntiMode and my Dodd Audio battery preamp last night.  While it may not be the reference grade cable other may have I'm very happy with how fast the cable is and how it masterfully gave new dynamics to the midrange.  Easily one of the best $100 upgrades I've ever made. 

I,ve got one more step to go and then I'm taking the Spring off on upgrades.  I just ordered the Crossover upgrades for my LS-6 speakers from Danny.  I'll check in when they are burned in and sounding right.

I've been using Kimber for a long time. Silver Streak and KCAG inter-connects and 4AG speaker cables. Classics at transparency.