75 Albums Every Man Should Own

MaxCast

Re: 75 Albums Every Man Should Own
« Reply #40 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:52 am »
My total is 31 on a mix of vinyl and CD
Sheesh, I'd thought you'd have them all   :lol:

No DSOTM,  :hyper:   but animals was an interesting pick.

It would be hard to pick 75 must owns.  I look at it like 75 of the bands you should have and an album from their prime time.

mjmsound

« Reply #41 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:21 pm »
 only 12. A number of albums on the list I wouldn't own. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:09 pm »
I'd not get caught dead with half of this list, but one man's treasure is another man's trash.
That's it right there.
If any of my friends were coming over to the house, I'd hide some of those albums under the couch.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #43 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:57 pm »

Oh I know ! God forbid anyone should see any of that crap around my house when they drop by! That Beethoven - soooo overrated - hasn't written anything decent  in years ! Mahler, too for that matter - bet he still goes around saying he's big in Japan, though... And Mingus ? Don't even go there... People would start thinking I was turning into some kind of hipster doofus music snob...

You know, just sayin'..... :green:

And before anyone grabs a pitchfork or lights a torch, those are all among my 46 off this list.

D.D.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 19 Dec 2013, 03:52 pm »
Ahh......."No"....
Those aren't' the ones I had in mind.    :duh:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #45 on: 19 Dec 2013, 07:28 pm »

Likely not, but that's not really the point, is it?  :wink:

D.D.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #46 on: 19 Dec 2013, 09:48 pm »

Well, to be fair, some are must haves but conspicuous by their absence are Exile on Main Street, Electric LadyLand, Blonde on Blonde, White Album, Court of Crimson King, Hard Again, The Next Day, Sail Away, Boomers Story, Grevious Angel, just to name a few. And we can all agree that The Idiot should be there before Lust for Life, can't we. But the classical and jazz selections are laughable. However this is Esquire afterall and they've obviously still taking a page outta Frankie's book and many of these are just props to help a swinger smooth talk the dolls. In this floating crap game, a wise guy is sharp to know how to appeal to small-town frails, city skirts, blue-blooded dames and twists of all stripes. This list could help and then things can be A#1, Top of the Heap. It's best not to forget that angry tomatoes ain't small potatoes. And speakin' of dolls, there's no New York Dolls ... oh, forget it.

Scotlynn

« Reply #47 on: 19 Dec 2013, 10:31 pm »
I think I'm somewhere between 40-50, but wasn't motivated by this list enough to get up and go to the music room to check my shelves. I'm not necessarily against lists - they can be fun - but the problem with a list of "Albums Every Man Should Own" is that its inherently random. And the records included in the Esquire list (and the ones that are not) evidence just how silly this particular listing exercise is. "Manly" could mean the record I think is missing (can't get any more "manly" than Black Sabbath's Paranoid, right?) or it could be the Esquire take on the 21 Century confused hipster who thinks Vampire Weekend is the greatest thing ever (or at least for the next 15 minutes) . Speaking of 21st Century Schizoid Man - where's Court of the Crimson King??? Hell, back in the day when playing Joni Mitchell's Blue on a date got me laid, I could argue that Blue was the "manliest" record I had in my collection. Sure made a man outta me. On several occasions.

I think lists like "The Top 100 Most Influential Records in Rock and Roll History" would be a fun list. Then we could have a meaningful debate about DSOTM, Ziggy Stardust, Let It Bleed and Never Mind the Bullocks and discuss the influences. Or the "Best Renditions of Gershwin Songs" and I can argue why Billie Holiday's Summertime needs to be up there. But "manly" music? Not even sure what that means.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #48 on: 19 Dec 2013, 10:53 pm »
What a weird list. I currently have 18 on his list and used to have a few others that I got rid of.  I do have about 5,000 others that I would rate higher than the other 57 on that writer's list! Frankly, just about any AC poster could come up with a list as good or better than that one. Sheesh.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #49 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:00 pm »
Six for me...I was expecting fewer. With regard to the "What, no DSOTM" chorus...

While recommending only 75 Long Players to take to the island is a pointless exercise, it does bring up what for me is an interesting question: What is the ONE Long Player to take from a particular group?

The list maker get points from me making what I think are the right picks for The Beastie Boys, Buena Vista Social Club (well, isn't there only one release?), The Grateful Dead, KISS, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Taj Mahal, The Velvet Underground, and The Who.

Their picks for a number of other groups are tough to argue with: AC/DC, The Beach Boys, The Cars, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, Charles Mingus, Nirvana, Liz Phair, The Ramones, Frank Sinatra, Van Halen, and Neil Young.

wedweb

« Reply #50 on: 19 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm »
19, and one of them was the Good the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack.  :)

Bo

Diamond Dog

« Reply #51 on: 20 Dec 2013, 12:17 am »
What a weird list.

For me that's part of the appeal...these lists usually just round up the usual suspects over and over with a few author-specific biased choices tossed in but this one casts a somewhat wider ( wilder? ) net. And there isn't one thing on it I wouldn't at least like to hear once just for the helluvit. But it gets people talking and that's always potentially fun.

If you want to see a really wack list, you should check out The Great List which the Counterbalance feature on Popmatters.com is based on. Ever-evolving and shifting as more records get thrown into the frey and their fortunes ebb and flow, The Great List is really something to contemplate. Until you slowly ...go...mad.

D.D.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #52 on: 20 Dec 2013, 02:00 am »
What a weird list. I currently have 18 on his list and used to have a few others that I got rid of.  I do have about 5,000 others that I would rate higher than the other 57 on that writer's list! Frankly, just about any AC poster could come up with a list as good or better than that one. Sheesh.

Weird list is right. No band/artist had more than one on the list. And many of the albums on the list I would say were listed bands weaker efforts.

daves

« Reply #53 on: 22 Dec 2013, 12:04 am »
It's fun to see some of the lesser, or more artistic, selections culled from various artists. Still, if you are going to go hipster or strange, for goodness sake, get OUT THERE with Captain Beefhart's "Trout Mask Replica" or Zappa's "We're Only in it for the Money." And any real man would prefer "London Calling" over "Combat Rock," whose picture is in the dictionary under the word 'sellout.' :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #54 on: 22 Dec 2013, 01:42 am »

No mention of "Dark Side Of the Moon" by Pink Floyd.  The whole list is flawed.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 22 Dec 2013, 01:18 pm »
Right. "TSOTM" was an awesome album, and it's been mentioned here a few times, but I've seen no mention of "The Wall".
Those two from Floyd "would have to be" on there.
But they listed "Animals" from Floyd.  :scratch:

When I think of Pink Floyd, album "Animals", it makes me think of........

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #56 on: 22 Dec 2013, 03:06 pm »
Dude, are you serious? The Fischer Price is way better than Animals.

Careful with that Aux, Eugene.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #57 on: 22 Dec 2013, 04:25 pm »

When I think of Pink Floyd, album "Animals", it makes me think of........

If one were to start pushing buttons on that particular FP/PF See'n Say:

Cow says "Moo..."

Mouse says " Squeak..."

Pig says " Ha ha, charade you are..."

Sheep says " One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces..."

D.D.

PS: For me, DSOTM, WYWH and Animals > The Wall which is a big, sprawling hot mess by Side Four and if I were to choose only one of the former three to have here to listen to, it would be Animals which I think was always underrated. Gilmour's playing on that album alone would be reason enough...Which isn't to say he didn't play some stunning music on The Wall, 'cuz he did. I think that lyrically, the first three dealt with more universally-relatable themes ( less so WYWH, perhaps ) but The Wall seemed to deal primarily with the gooey contents of Roger Waters' psyche and we all know how that ended up - cue up The Final Cut ...Tough thing to edit a concept album like The Wall , though... hack off too much and you lose whatever narrative there is, don't edit enough and you end up with...well, this.  Still, that being said, in the same sense that as Lou Reed put it,"My best day is better than your best year", any of these PF albums is better than many bands' entire catalogues and certainly better than much of what is on this or other such lists of "necessary" music.

But that's just my opinion...and I could be wrong.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:22 pm »
I just never could get past all the oinking and various barnyard sound that "Animals" made. Just went right over my head.
But "no", you're not wrong. What you like is your preference and that's perfectly fine.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #59 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:52 pm »
But "no", you're not wrong.

Now let's not rush to judgement here... :wink:

D.D.