Ya get what ya pay for these days...

ctviggen

Re: Ya get what ya pay for these days...
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2013, 01:44 pm »
Wow. I really don't see how that's possible.

I did a test between bluray and DVD (same player, same movie) on a 32 inch 16x9 LCD TV, and if you were up close, there was a difference.  If you watched from 10-15 feet back, there was no difference I could see, other than colors.  The colors seemed a bit better on bluray.   I've since graduated to a 42 then to a 53 inch TV (both plasmas), and I assume I could see a difference (and I'm closer now to the TV), but I haven't tested it.  I do have to say that I've blown up DVD to 92 inches 16x9 projection, and the DVD still looked great, good enough to not make me want to run out and buy bluray to replace my DVDs (especially since they charge too much for bluray and include all the crap I don't want, like a DVD and an electronic copy).

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2013, 02:03 pm »
The player was billed a as a smart unit so I assumed it would do some snooping and self-configure.
Yea,....."Smart" .......  :roll:   That's about as accurate of a description as "plug and play".  :duh:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:01 pm »
I did a test between bluray and DVD (same player, same movie) on a 32 inch 16x9 LCD TV, and if you were up close, there was a difference.  If you watched from 10-15 feet back, there was no difference I could see, other than colors.  The colors seemed a bit better on bluray.   I've since graduated to a 42 then to a 53 inch TV (both plasmas), and I assume I could see a difference (and I'm closer now to the TV), but I haven't tested it.  I do have to say that I've blown up DVD to 92 inches 16x9 projection, and the DVD still looked great, good enough to not make me want to run out and buy bluray to replace my DVDs (especially since they charge too much for bluray and include all the crap I don't want, like a DVD and an electronic copy).

I got the same results. Everybody thought I was goofy. Imagine that!!!

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:40 pm »

Of course you can't tell the difference on a 32in from 10-15 ft away, who could? Also, who watches a 32in from 10-15 ft away? Watching my 50in. from 15ft away puts me in the kitchen. There is such a thing as recommended viewing distance for screen size.  :scratch:

Other than that I'm at a loss for words. How someone can not see the blurriness and jaggies of a DVD in comparison is beyond me. If there are folks who really can't tell the difference with this medium then that makes me assess the whole 'there's no difference' crowd in audio in an even more skeptical light.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:53 pm »
Just as in audio where upsampling or downsampling is not always desireable, downsampling and interpolating a 1080p image to fit a 720p screen does not give as sharp of an image as natively displaying a 1080p image on a 1080p screen.

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2013, 04:58 pm »
Just as in audio where upsampling or downsampling is not always desireable, downsampling and interpolating a 1080p image to fit a 720p screen does not give as sharp of an image as natively displaying a 1080p image on a 1080p screen.

Steve

Funny thing is that's what I deal with as I have a 720p screen and I STILL think it's night and day vs DVD.

srb

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2013, 05:08 pm »
Funny thing is that's what I deal with as I have a 720p screen and I STILL think it's night and day vs DVD.

I don't doubt that and it probably falls at least halfway in between, DVD being only 480p.  I would also suspect 1080p > 720p screen results will vary some with the video processing chips employed.

Steve

JakeJ

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2013, 09:08 am »
Update - I picked up a Samsung BD-F5900 at Target on Friday and am now watching Blu-Ray movies.  Upon opening the box there was a consumer notice that a software update may be needed and to register on Samsung's website to find out or be notified via email.  Just as soon as I was registered I was informed that an update had been released that same day.  Downloaded, installed and watched Man of Steel.  Woo Hoo!

Yes there is a significant improvement in resolution.  I am forced to use optical for audio but it sounds just as good to these old ears as the digital coaxial from the Oppo.  Will need to watch a DVD and compare to the Oppo but I am sure I will see a difference.  Also I need to go through the manual and see if there are other tweaks that may eke out some more performance.

I'm off to my sister's for Christmas tomorrow and I wanted to report in as well as wish everyone a great holiday and say thanks to all of you that helped me understand this new technology better.

Jake

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2013, 01:14 pm »
Welcome aboard the Blu-Train.  :thumb:

But yea, check those settings, and also put a critical eye on the age and quality of that HDMI cord.

JakeJ

« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:16 pm »
Welcome aboard the Blu-Train.  :thumb:

But yea, check those settings, and also put a critical eye on the age and quality of that HDMI cord.

:lol: It's funny, I read on multiple sites that the HDMI cable makes no difference and don't spend any money on them.  My ears have told me of the differences in audio cables so there must be a difference in video cables as well, although I suspect the "diminishing point of return" may be hit sooner than with audio.

Any recs?

wgscott

« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:44 pm »
The HDMI cable makes no difference so don't spend any money on them.

Belkin, Monoprice, Amazon's own, and Blue Jeans Cable all are viable options.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:18 pm »
Yea, don't get me wrong, I wasn't pushing some videophile high dollar stuff.
I'd be hard pressed to think that something from the list whscott listed wouldn't be better than a 10 year old HDMI from Walmart though.
They're cheap enough, so it might me worthy of an upgrade if your stuff is old and crappy.

Is there something to be said about the ability to carry the amount of information that Bluray is capable of, versus the early versions of HDMI made when that amount was unheard of though?

Bob