TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps

rhing

Re: TPA3110 and TPS3116 amps
« Reply #520 on: 5 Apr 2014, 02:18 am »
I used 3/8" 4-40 Nylon standoffs. You're right that you just need enough clearance so some of the thru-hole mounted components don't contact the bottom if the chassis.

For the Keystone twin binding posts, the distance center-to-center is 3/4" (19mm) as you mentioned. The mounting holes for the connector plates are 1/2" (12.5mm) diameter.

One of my friends bought the Yuan Jing Aluminum chassis and even though the binding post holes resemble many twin binding post mounting patterns, their spacing is not the standard 3/4" and the holes are not 1/2". Fortunately, he had purchased some Mueller binding posts that fit the smaller hole size and do not use the twin binding posts housings. I know some people buy their audio connectors from China, but a lot of Chinese manufacturers do not use materials as advertised. Hopefully, you have a trustworthy source.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2014, 10:27 am by rhing »

OzarkTom

« Reply #521 on: 6 Apr 2014, 07:25 pm »
Here is an Astron 24vdc power supply for sale on Craigslist for $80 in Michigan.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/4386875850.html

rhing

« Reply #522 on: 6 Apr 2014, 07:42 pm »
Here is an Astron 24vdc power supply for sale on Craigslist for $80 in Michigan.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/4386875850.html

That's a nice deal for a good PSU that will yield extra output.

I like to stay with the 12-14V DC range as that gives me plenty of power. On top of that I like the flexibility of using automotive battery power-related products like batteries and stiffener caps (if I ever get around to trying them). A friend of mine just shared with me that old car cell phone chargers with LED power indicators are great for removing the LED and 12V step-down circuit and transplanting them to a TPA3116 amp build to use as a power indicator. That's a neat way if repurposing something that usually gets shoved into a desk drawer or tossed out.

lacro

« Reply #523 on: 6 Apr 2014, 10:55 pm »
Made my first attempt at a wooden knob, and finally installed my Blue/Black stock board on its chassis and  into its cabinet. What's ya think..

rhing

« Reply #524 on: 6 Apr 2014, 11:08 pm »
Made my first attempt at a wooden knob, and finally installed my Blue/Black stock board on its chassis and  into its cabinet. What's ya think..

Pretty cool. How does it sound?

OzarkTom

« Reply #525 on: 6 Apr 2014, 11:31 pm »
Nice! It looks like The Beverly Hillbilles on steroids.....Er, I mean altoids.

lacro

« Reply #526 on: 7 Apr 2014, 12:17 am »
Pretty cool. How does it sound?

Rich... Funny you ask, both my wife and I hear a completely different sound. The HARSH HIGHS seem to be gone!! Maybe its the warmth of the Mahogany knob  :lol: or maybe the very short signal/speaker wiring. However I suspect the ferrite beads I had left on my experimentation board from using the 3110 amp as causing some problems?

It sounds amazing without any mods :thumb: The passive volume control is my way of having a power amp only, an integrated amp or a power amp with the 6N3 3 tube preamp which the top shelf of the case is already designed for. Also, no on board DC switch as I will be switching the AC input of the PS instead. That's not because I don't think there is a 12V switch capable, but because there is no room for one on my 4" wide chassis!

Doublej

« Reply #527 on: 7 Apr 2014, 12:21 am »
Can someone summarize the sound of the red and the blue boards? Is there s consensus as to which sounds better?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #528 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:35 am »
Very imaginative lacro

wushuliu

« Reply #529 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:45 am »
Can someone summarize the sound of the red and the blue boards? Is there s consensus as to which sounds better?

The blue board has the correct output filter recommended by TI. Go with the blue board.

Blackmore

« Reply #530 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:48 am »
Spent a nice day of listening to the Yuan Jing TPA 3116 amp.  Fed by a Sony DVD player and running my Advent 3, I've enjoyed some great jazz and classical cuts today.  Really liked Cesar Franck's "Le chasseur maudit" from the French Touch cd by BSO and Charles Munch.  Didn't know the littlest Advents had such a big bottom.   :lol:

The amp sounded wretched out of the box and needed a couple of Isotek treatments to settle down.  Mine also has left and right switched, but that doesn't bother me now that I know to switch RCA jacks.  Now its treble is tamed and bass is tight.  What a great little system for so little money.  I paid $88 for the amp, but shipping was about $32 for USPS delivery.  I'm very satisfied with the amp and will use it along side my TBI for my summer months amps.  These are real tube savers when you don't want to burn up some $$$ tubes or it's just too damn hot to fire up the BAT VK-60. 

Thanks to everyone for bringing this to our attention and love the DIY amps I've seen in the thread.  I didn't want to make my own and Yuan Jing was pretty quick with shipping to Mo. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #531 on: 7 Apr 2014, 02:28 am »
Spent a nice day of listening to the Yuan Jing TPA 3116 amp.  Fed by a Sony DVD player and running my Advent 3, I've enjoyed some great jazz and classical cuts today.  Really liked Cesar Franck's "Le chasseur maudit" from the French Touch cd by BSO and Charles Munch.  Didn't know the littlest Advents had such a big bottom.   :lol:

The amp sounded wretched out of the box and needed a couple of Isotek treatments to settle down.  Mine also has left and right switched, but that doesn't bother me now that I know to switch RCA jacks.  Now its treble is tamed and bass is tight.  What a great little system for so little money.  I paid $88 for the amp, but shipping was about $32 for USPS delivery.  I'm very satisfied with the amp and will use it along side my TBI for my summer months amps.  These are real tube savers when you don't want to burn up some $$$ tubes or it's just too damn hot to fire up the BAT VK-60. 

Thanks to everyone for bringing this to our attention and love the DIY amps I've seen in the thread.  I didn't want to make my own and Yuan Jing was pretty quick with shipping to Mo.

Holler at Rex and take your two amps over there and hook them to his Ten Tec power supply. You will amazed at the improvement that psu makes.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #532 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:27 am »
My three YJ blue/black 2.0 boards just arrived in Portland 6 minutes ago!  They should be here tomorrow.  I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

cody69

« Reply #533 on: 7 Apr 2014, 01:27 pm »

I like your design and execution -- a nice warm look about it.

Would you mind posting your BOM for materials?
I'm completing a pair of Danny's LGKs and am in need of an amp and this one looks perfect.

lacro

« Reply #534 on: 7 Apr 2014, 10:44 pm »
Received my 2nd Blue/black board today. It came in 10 days  :thumb: which is half the time it took from Yuan Jing. I got it from E-bay seller hiamplifier
It included the input cable that YJ charged extra for. Also, it was about $5 less expensive. Buying from an E-Bay seller adds another layer of safety (money back guarantee) that you wont get from China direct sellers like YJ. Another interesting thing is on this board the components and connectors are more square with the board. On the YJ version most of the components are twisted out of alignment. This probably doesn't make a difference, but it looks a lot better with everything in alignment, at least to my eyes.
 I hope it sounds good, as one of my boards will probably get modded, not because the stock board sounds bad, just "because it's there"

Blackmore

« Reply #535 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:16 pm »
Hey Tom,

Can you pm me Rex's phone number ?  I'd love to try my TBI on his power supply.

MCM_Fan

« Reply #536 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:25 pm »
Received my 2nd Blue/black board today. It came in 10 days  :thumb: which is half the time it took from Yuan Jing. I got it from E-bay seller hiamplifier
It included the input cable that YJ charged extra for. Also, it was about $5 less expensive. Buying from an E-Bay seller adds another layer of safety (money back guarantee) that you wont get from China direct sellers like YJ. Another interesting thing is on this board the components and connectors are more square with the board. On the YJ version most of the components are twisted out of alignment. This probably doesn't make a difference, but it looks a lot better with everything in alignment, at least to my eyes.
 I hope it sounds good, as one of my boards will probably get modded, not because the stock board sounds bad, just "because it's there"

That's the same seller I bought mine from, and mine also arrived today - 10 days after I purchased them.  That's pretty good considering I purchased them on a Friday afternoon, which is Saturday Morning HK time.  Mine also came with the input cable.  It's a simple 3-wire (red, yellow, black) unshielded cable.  I paid $15.99 each, plus $13.50 shipping for three boards.  I see the seller has now updated his listing.  The cable in the new listing is different.  It looks like it might be shielded.  He has also raised his price from $15.99 to $19.99, plus shipping ($6.50 for one board, $3.50 for each additional board).  I wish mine would have included a shielded cable.  I'll try twisting the wires and keep them as short as possible.  If that doesn't work and it seems like I'm picking up noise on the inputs, I'll make my own shielded cable.

In any case, all three of my boards look great.  There are a couple small caps that aren't perfectly square, but over all the quality of the boards look good and the delivery was prompt.  So, I can't complain at these prices.

I did get a pleasant surprise when I opened the box.  On top was a certificate that said: "Thanks for purchased this Cheap and Cheerful Class-D Amplifier Board".  So, it sounds like the seller knows about our Cheap and Cheerful forum here on AudioCircle.

lacro

« Reply #537 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:36 pm »
I like your design and execution -- a nice warm look about it.

Would you mind posting your BOM for materials?
I'm completing a pair of Danny's LGKs and am in need of an amp and this one looks perfect.

Hi Cody69,
 Not sure what BOM you are looking for? The board is the TPA 3116 blue/black board that has been discussed her at length. The only connection that is actually required is the input cable which comes with the board from E-bay seller hiamplifier All the other connections on the board, power input, the speaker outs are screw-down connections.
 You just need a power jack that will fit what ever power supply you choose. You will need a pair of RCA connectors for input signal, and speaker terminals. There are dozens of choices for these parts from cheap to boutique. Look back for posts from Rhing. He listed a BOM for his build a little while ago. See post 410.
 The volume pot I used (see post 401) was also suggested by Rhing (part # in post). It works great. You can install in in your chassis or as a passive volume control as I did in post 401. You can get all your parts from Mouser, Digikey, Parts Express, or from E-bay/China.
 My board is mounted on a sheet of aluminum that I bent. The wooden 2 tier equipment rack was just a wood working project that took a lot of time. Hope that helps. If you need technical info, others will be a better resource. Let us know how the amp works with LGK's

Poultrygeist

« Reply #538 on: 7 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm »
I doubt we realize how much business is generated by a thread like this.

rhing

« Reply #539 on: 8 Apr 2014, 12:16 am »
I doubt we realize how much business is generated by a thread like this.

I'm surprised that Yuan Jing hasn't come out with a compact chassis with their blue amp that would cost far less to ship than their amp with the switch-mode power supply. It's just a matter of time before other Chinese manufacturers like SMSL, Topping, Hlly, Muse, etc. come out with their complete TPA3116-based amps in nice little Aluminum enclosures for less than $50. They're watching these forum threads like a hawk, and working diligently on products of their own. But then, maybe they haven't come out with these types of amps with the hopes of first selling off their glut of T-amps. In the meantime, let's enjoy the DIY fun.