Another major AKG intro: K812

dB Cooper

Re: Another major AKG intro: K812
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2013, 03:51 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:01 am »
Wow I must be snoozing for some weeks, just now I see the K812 have only one cable.
I would love to read the AKG tech explanation about it.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:57 am »
Wow I must be snoozing for some weeks, just now I see the K812 have only one cable.
I would love to read the AKG tech explanation about it.

Unless I misunderstand you, you must have been snoozing for many years, as many headphones have just one cable. With AKG, the pro headphones usually have a plug at the left ear, so the cable can be replaced or in some cases exchanged for a longer/shorter one, depending on the use. This also tends to prevent damage if the cable is pulled hard - it just unplugs.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2014, 11:37 am »
Unless I misunderstand you, you must have been snoozing for many years, as many headphones have just one cable. With AKG, the pro headphones usually have a plug at the left ear, so the cable can be replaced or in some cases exchanged for a longer/shorter one, depending on the use. This also tends to prevent damage if the cable is pulled hard - it just unplugs.
Iam surprised due the hi price of this phone, two cables also can be easily changed and the sound are even better.
Strange AKG agree to stay behind the HD800.
I sorry this phone was made with the pro market in mind, in many rock studios the sound quality even not important.

toocool4

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm »
Iam surprised due the hi price of this phone, two cables also can be easily changed and the sound are even better.
Strange AKG agree to stay behind the HD800.
I sorry this phone was made with the pro market in mind, in many rock studios the sound quality even not important.

It’s not one cable, you still have cables for left and right channels they both just come up the left side. The cable for the right channel is just that bit longer to reach the right from the left channel housing.
The length is so short that the slight extra length would not be noticeable to the human ear, you would not notice anything different in sound quality compared to cable of the same length connected to both ear cups.

With single sided entry cable, you have the convenience of having less cable to get in the way.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:45 pm »
It’s not one cable, you still have cables for left and right channels they both just come up the left side. The cable for the right channel is just that bit longer to reach the right from the left channel housing.
The length is so short that the slight extra length would not be noticeable to the human ear, you would not notice anything different in sound quality compared to cable of the same length connected to both ear cups.

With single sided entry cable, you have the convenience of having less cable to get in the way.
Sorry, I mean say the K812 had the usual 3 wires to be used with the bananas connectors.
The wires are 2 positive and just 1 negative, which provides both channels as usual on inexpensive phones.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2014, 11:44 pm »
Oops for the K812. The pads are unusual indeed, one have to insert the ear inside the hollow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyPgQU-WMc

Jumpin

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2014, 12:45 am »
on massdrop right now

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2014, 12:48 am »
Innerfidelity was underwhelmed, at least for the money:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/akg-k812-professional-reference-headphone

I have heard the 701 (which I didn't care much for despite their great detail) and the K702 "Anniversary" (reportedly identical to the 712) which I found much more involving.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:03 am »
The review *seemed* to suggest that EQ would not really fix the K812 problem, or make the sound pleasant in any case. I wonder though - this headphone interests me, and I wonder if something like the Audioforge parametric equalizer would knock down any particular resonance effect in the K812 treble to alleviate the problems noted in the review. Reading the review twice over, I don't see that question addressed, even though Tyll has recommended parametric equalizers before this.
Forget EQ, a balanced cable will flaten the treble somewhat.
With a problematic phone as this, one had to choose the cable type before hand(copper or silver) as it may help to soft the hi's.

I suppose buy the cable from the manufacturer is suited as they know how the cable sound.

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2014, 02:53 am »
The review *seemed* to suggest that EQ would not really fix the K812 problem, or make the sound pleasant in any case. I wonder though - this headphone interests me, and I wonder if something like the Audioforge parametric equalizer would knock down any particular resonance effect in the K812 treble to alleviate the problems noted in the review. Reading the review twice over, I don't see that question addressed, even though Tyll has recommended parametric equalizers before this.

Also, AKGs are renowned for taking a long time to "break in", although he is surely aware of this and gave them adequate run time before testing and evaluating.

Don't know if any type of EQ can really do much to help time-domain problems though.