Diana Krall Live in Paris

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Diana Krall Live in Paris
« on: 7 Dec 2013, 08:44 pm »
I have the DVD of Diana Krall Live in Paris, so I was already familiar with her version of "Deed I Do".  And we all know she's sexy as hell.  Anyhow, I just heard that tune again on the radio and I could still hear her making those vocal sounds and grunting in the background while burning up the keyboard, and I was just wondering if anyone else heard this tune and noticed her doing that.   And, is it just me, or does anyone else find that [OMG] so erotic?   :drool:

WireNut

Re: Diana Krall Live in Paris
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:25 pm »
Yeah see's frig'n HOT. I'd buy her albums just for the covers  :o

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:41 pm »
Well I love Diana Krall too. She has got a great voice and is indeed a great singer. The grunting, well only Elvis Costello knows, I suppose.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2013, 11:32 pm »
That would be singing the melody internally(internal clock).
Pro musicians do this for keeping time and also for phrasing ect.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2013, 01:25 am »
Not so "erotic" for me when Keith Jarrett does it, more a nuisance.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2013, 01:55 am »
I have the DVD of Diana Krall Live in Paris, so I was already familiar with her version of "Deed I Do".  And we all know she's sexy as hell...   And, is it just me, or does anyone else find that [OMG] so erotic?   :drool:

Indeed I do! Just got it on 45 rpm from Elusive Disc. My favorite though is Devil May Care. A very serious percussion solo that is awesome!

Best,
Anand.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:54 am »
I just came here to drool in the thread.

But yea.....yum....

Just....so.....

"yes".

francis43

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2014, 04:34 pm »
ASK Costello  :D

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2014, 06:30 pm »
Acquired the CD several years ago.  Among all the gems on the track list, "Fly Me To The Moon" in my fave.  Have been tempted to get the 180g 45 but the CD sound fabulous.  At $50-$75 a pop I choose those 45's carefully.  For the most part they are well worth the price.

bacobits1

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2014, 08:31 pm »
Well now, I will just have to listen to it.......................

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:26 pm »
I have the DVD of Diana Krall Live in Paris, so I was already familiar with her version of "Deed I Do".  And we all know she's sexy as hell.  Anyhow, I just heard that tune again on the radio and I could still hear her making those vocal sounds and grunting in the background while burning up the keyboard, and I was just wondering if anyone else heard this tune and noticed her doing that.   And, is it just me, or does anyone else find that [OMG] so erotic?   :drool:
YES!!!!! She is so erotic! I just wanted to say hello!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2014, 09:38 pm »
When Diana sings "Popsicle Toes", there's some fairly provocative lyrics in there.
Yea, I still dig her voice. She "does it" for me. Still.

PMAT

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2014, 10:32 pm »
That is a great live album. I listen to it sparingly. The audio shows apparently overplay it so people get tired of it. Many of the tracks are my favorite version of popular songs. "A case of you" is sung with such depth and emotion that it really grabs you. I never found it to be provocative but hey, whatever spins your propeller.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:02 pm »
I am not a DK fan but I thought I should chime in here.  A good friend heard her in concert very recently.  He said she mixes it up (tempo, instruments, cover songs) and kicks butt live. He and his wife had a great time.

airhead

Re: Diana Krall Live in Paris--"A Case of You"
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm »
The most profound and most beautiful rendition of "A Case of You" I know is by Patricia Barber.  Both her piano playing and her singing are incredible.  I've heard her do it live twice.  There is a Youtube version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PPvZWlJzQ

She has recently released a cover of another Joni Mitchell song, "River", that is equally beautiful and also beautifully recorded.  For that you have to go to iTunes and pay $1.29.  Almost as much of a bargain as the cost of seeing her live at the Green Mill in Chicago.

PMAT

« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm »
Sorry Airhead but I found it pale in comparison. I bought 2 Patricia Barber CDs because of the good refs of her work. Something really bugs me about her vocal style. I gave both CDs away. Keep in mind that I am not a big fan of Krall's studio albums. I had 3 and didn't listen to them. The"Live in Paris" CD just effervesces with its aliveness and interplay among the musicians. Plus her voice is sexy. Way more so than Barbers. At least to me.

Don_S

Re: Diana Krall Live in Paris--"A Case of You"
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:28 pm »
Airhead,

Sorry but I strongly disagree.  As a long-time Joni Mitchell fan I think Barber should be prohibited from torturing any more Joni Mitchell songs into a slow, painful death.   :whip:

The most profound and most beautiful rendition of "A Case of You" I know is by Patricia Barber.  Both her piano playing and her singing are incredible.  I've heard her do it live twice.  There is a Youtube version here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4PPvZWlJzQ

She has recently released a cover of another Joni Mitchell song, "River", that is equally beautiful and also beautifully recorded.  For that you have to go to iTunes and pay $1.29.  Almost as much of a bargain as the cost of seeing her live at the Green Mill in Chicago.

terry parr

« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2014, 11:43 pm »
patricia barber used the word "insouciance" as a song lyric in one of her songs once.   not "nonchalance."  "insouciance."  she can get a bit pretentious at times, but on the whole i've enjoyed patricia barber.  even on those albums where she tries (a bit too hard it seems at times) to be "consciously arty.")  but, hey she deserves credit for stretching the boundaries a bit and should be applauded for that.  at least give her credit for doing some good, original stuff.  although it was her album of standards (called "nightclub") that introduced me to her.  (which is an album that i've enjoyed very much). and still do.

Don_S may not be a fan of barbers' joni mitchell interpretation, but hey:  it might lead some listeners to check out some of joni mitchell's original stuff. 

long-time fan of diana krall, too.  piano playing, song interpretation...and to be able to do both at the same time.  as well as she does.  wow.
(she's a "hyphen!") 

and how 'bout the players that d.k. surrounds herself with.  (she tips her hat to bassist "ray brown. ray BROWN!" on the last four notes of
"'deed i do" on the "live in paris" dvd).

and how 'bout the drummer, jeff hamiliton?  a musical drummer who has "big ears" as they say. you can tell he feels this music and his playing really integrates well with the other players. his solos are thoughtful and skillful, too.  a real musician behind the drum kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YdvIZTjpMJM

there are plenty of drummers out there bringing twice as many drums to set-up on a stage, and they don't sound half as "musical" as hamiliton
does here!

Don_S

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:00 am »
At the risk of totally derailing this thread, Melody Gardot is another performer who is very versatile in concert and surrounds herself with expert musicians. I saw some U-tube clips of her in concert and she kicked derriere. I wish the clips had not been removed due to copyright issues. Even more, I wish she would produce an album and video of her live performances instead of her last disaster, The Absence.

terry parr

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2014, 12:01 am »
didn't give credit to john clayton.  the bassist on the "live in paris" dvd. 

very good bass player.