James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:10 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: Bryston

Hi James,

I'm happy to inform you that you will receive a SoundStage! Network Product of the Year award at CES 2014 for:

SoundStage! Network Product of the Year -- Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifier

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/621-bryston-b135-sst2-integrated-amplifier

Congrats! We need to set an appointment for Monday, January 6, to present the award and take some photos for our CES coverage. What time is good for you?

Thanks,

Jeffrey W. Fritz
Editor-in-Chief
The SoundStage! Network
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

Samurai7595

Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2013 9:10 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: Bryston

Hi James,

I'm happy to inform you that you will receive a SoundStage! Network Product of the Year award at CES 2014 for:

SoundStage! Network Product of the Year -- Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifier

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/component/content/article/2-uncategorised/621-bryston-b135-sst2-integrated-amplifier

Congrats! We need to set an appointment for Monday, January 6, to present the award and take some photos for our CES coverage. What time is good for you?

Thanks,

Jeffrey W. Fritz
Editor-in-Chief
The SoundStage! Network
www.SoundStageNetwork.com

CONGRATS Bryston team! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON B135 Integrated Amplifier - PRODUCT OF THE YEAR 2014
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2013, 02:46 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: SoundStage - Product of the Year Awards for 2013

Recipients of the SoundStage! Network’s Product of the Year Awards for 2013 are chosen from all products reviewed this past year.  Here are the winners of the 2013 SoundStage! Network Product of the Year awards, each with a link to the original.

Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifiers!

Bryston B135 SST2Bryston B135 SST2 integrated amplifier:

The B135 SST2 could also have won this year’s Exceptional Value award – given its price/performance ratio!

Philip Beaudette, who has probably reviewed more integrated amplifiers than anyone else on our staff, said this about it in his SoundStage! Hi-Fi review: “You’ll have to spend significantly more to improve on the B135’s sound, and even so, those improvements are likely to be small.” Since then, he’s bought one to use as a reference. So simply saying that the B135 SST2 is good for the price doesn’t do this exceptional integrated amplifier justice -- its high level of performance qualifies the B135 SST2 to win the 2013 Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifiers award.

budcook

« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:39 pm »
I intend to downsize my system using the B135 as the key component to accomplish it.

Eventually, I'll replace a 4BSST2, BP-26 and a BIT IS-15.  I might even replace my BHA-1. 

I don't think the DAC option on the B135 is in the same league as my BDA-2 so I'll keep that along with the BDP-2 and BCD-1.

I'll replace my Maggie 1.7's with a monitor speaker such as the Mini T.

Bud

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2013, 05:33 pm »
Hi Bud,

Could use the BHA-1 with the 4b and lose the (second) preamp.
My guess would be that the sound would equal the 135b.

Cheers,
Bob

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2013, 05:36 pm »
Congratulations, well done!

Cheers,

Bob

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: SoundStage - Product of the Year Awards for 2013

Recipients of the SoundStage! Network’s Product of the Year Awards for 2013 are chosen from all products reviewed this past year.  Here are the winners of the 2013 SoundStage! Network Product of the Year awards, each with a link to the original.

Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifiers!

Bryston B135 SST2Bryston B135 SST2 integrated amplifier:

The B135 SST2 could also have won this year’s Exceptional Value award – given its price/performance ratio!

Philip Beaudette, who has probably reviewed more integrated amplifiers than anyone else on our staff, said this about it in his SoundStage! Hi-Fi review: “You’ll have to spend significantly more to improve on the B135’s sound, and even so, those improvements are likely to be small.” Since then, he’s bought one to use as a reference. So simply saying that the B135 SST2 is good for the price doesn’t do this exceptional integrated amplifier justice -- its high level of performance qualifies the B135 SST2 to win the 2013 Outstanding Performance: Integrated Amplifiers award.

budcook

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2013, 06:03 pm »
Hi Bud,

Could use the BHA-1 with the 4b and lose the (second) preamp.
My guess would be that the sound would equal the 135b.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

I used to own a BP-17 and I know that the BHA-1 can't match it as a preamp.  It doesn't have remote control, it doesn't have the versatility, it doesn't sound as good as a preamp, etc.  I've done an apples to apples comparison both with the BP-17 and the BP-26 compared to the BHA-1.  IMHO, the preamps can't be replaced by the BHA-1.

I also need to downsize space and the 4B now has to sit behind a big screen TV while the B135 would fit on a shelf under the TV or in my current equipment cabinet.

I just ordered a Cardas Clear Light headphone cable for my HD-800's.  This cable is single ended and will work with a preamp as well as the BHA-1.  It won't sound as good as my Cardas Clear balanced headphone cable but it's more versatile and plugged into the B135 would allow me to vary the volume with my remote.

I'm also taking into account the complexity of dealing with this gear if something should happen to me.  I have a nephew who could really use the B135. Dealing with the 4B is out of the question even for my nephew not to mention my wife.

I really don't need the money but I would recoup a bit of it if I made the change.

Bud

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2013, 09:44 am »
Hi Bud,

Interesting that you did the comparison between the bha and b17. I fully agree that the b135 would make your life, and possibly that of others, more organized. Personally I have become rather addicted to the balanced BHA-HD800 option, but I do 95% of my listning through the cans.

I hope you will be able to enjoy your new setup for a long time to come!

Be well,

Bob

budcook

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:52 pm »
Hi Bud,

Interesting that you did the comparison between the bha and b17. I fully agree that the b135 would make your life, and possibly that of others, more organized. Personally I have become rather addicted to the balanced BHA-HD800 option, but I do 95% of my listning through the cans.

I hope you will be able to enjoy your new setup for a long time to come!

Be well,

Bob

Thanks Bob,

Actually, I also do most of my listening with headphones.  I have a balanced Cardas Clear HD-800 Cable but when I ordered it, I didn't get it long enough to sit in my favorite chair.  The new Clear Lights are now long enough and even though they haven't been broken in yet, they sound great.  I also like the fact that they are a single cable rather than the dual cables that make up the Cardas Clear balanced.  Much easier to deal with.

I'm having second thoughts about the B135.  It would be much simpler for me to replace the 4B with the new 2.5B.  It would be just plug and play without having to re-cable some things.  I could leave everything where it's at, keep my BP-26 and continue to have a fully balanced system from BDP-2 to the amp.

I could then focus on replacing my Maggies with something requiring less space. 

Bud

klao

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2013, 07:31 pm »
Many congratulations to the Bryston team, James.  This is another fruitful year for you and your customers, indeed.  Hope we'll share your success stories and awards again in 2014.  Cheers.   :thumb: