Headphones Accessories and Mods

dB Cooper

Re: longer cable for Sennheiser Momentums
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:19 am »
Hi.  Just got my Sennheiser Momentums last week.  Excellent stuff.    I'd like to get a longer cable.  Is this possible ?   I have been searching.  Have found nothing yet.

Insight Appreciated !

Just get an extension cable. They work fine. I have 8- and 20-footers. Is the Momentum cable detachable? If so there are probably aftermarket replacements.

dB Cooper

Re: Headphones Accessories and Mods
« Reply #21 on: 12 Dec 2013, 04:29 am »
Hi dB Cooper and all Audio Circle members.
Again I must say and ask:
Is that up-grade really worth (Every penny of) the 380 USD ?
By how many % will it improve the sound quality?
1% or 5% or maybe 10% ? ? ?
They are asking for that up-grade more than 25% of the price of the HD-800.
Well, if you have the money, why not.
For me, even if I had the money, I would not buy it,
because I think it's unreasonnable.
But again, that's me.

Guy 13

With you all the way, Guy13.
And remember, it only works with balanced amps like Sennheiser's own (so add another $2K to your system cost for that).
I'd rather add another set of cans to the stable for a different "flavor". Another $20 would buy you a set of Hifiman HE400's or maybe a used pair of K702 Anniversaries. But then i am thinking from the POV of an owner of the lowly HD650's  :cry:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2013, 10:31 pm »
Not sure anyone spending $1500 for a set of cans would be "thrift minded" enough to hack the stock cable. I would either just drop the $380 or leave it the heck alone and spend the 380 on, say, a lot of good music.My feeling is that if the stock cable wasn't satisfactory, those 'phones wouldn't have had the impact they have had. I find Frank Van Alstine's argument that if your cable changes the sound of your amp, that means your amp is sensitive to load variations and that is not good, persuasive.
I cant comment on Frank assert, but my opinion on all these hi priced HiFi phones with 3 meters long is it is a unnecessary lenght of wire or too long.

A hi-end cable must be shorter, I would prefer 1,2 meter or max 1,5M.
These 3 meters cable call my attention instantly, I would cut they in the middle and do two cables with Cardas silver solder.

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2013, 11:45 pm »

These 3 meters cable call my attention instantly, I would cut they in the middle and do two cables with Cardas silver solder.

Ever see the size of those wires? If you can solder them, your eyes are a lot better than mine (admittedly not all that difficult, sad to say).
Some AKG cables are coiled, which creates inductance, which should address the concern, but honestly, in 40+yrs of using 10-20 ft cabling, I've never noticed any problem.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 13 Dec 2013, 11:54 pm »
Ever see the size of those wires? If you can solder them, your eyes are a lot better than mine (admittedly not all that difficult, sad to say).
Some AKG cables are coiled, which creates inductance, which should address the concern, but honestly, in 40+yrs of using 10-20 ft cabling, I've never noticed any problem.
I think I can solder it, as I am very myopic since childhood I can see very small objects at very short distance without a magnifying glass.
The only care are some phones wires are so thin a misplaced iron solder can evaporate the wire, some are a thin flat wire.

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 14 Dec 2013, 04:28 am »

The only care are some phones wires are so thin a misplaced iron solder can evaporate the wire, some are a thin flat wire.

That's what I mean. I know I would do that (melt the wire). Since I don't seem to be having any problem, I'm staying with the stock 3m cable (and an extension when I want to listen on the other side of the room.)

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #26 on: 14 Dec 2013, 02:53 pm »
I think I can solder it, as I am very myopic since childhood I can see very small objects at very short distance without a magnifying glass.

Are the wires really that thin?  If they are like tonearm wires, there's a couple of tricks you could employ.  It helps to have some magnification.  There are inexpensive helping hands or table mounted lamps with magnifiers built in.  Some people use jewelers loops. Even if you can see it, this will make a difference.
http://www.parts-express.com/dual-helping-hands-with-magnifier--360-670

Stripping the insulation can be a problem.  Silk wrapped wire can be stripped using the side of an Emory board/cloth, but it's probably poly or Teflon.  If you can't strip it without cutting off the wire, try burning it off with a match.  This works.  You just have to clean any carbon residue.  Tinning the wire can be another problem, but I don't know if they're really that thin (as small as 36Ga.)  If the wires burn up with your iron, don't tin them.  Tin the connector, then heat it again and lay end of the wire in the molten solder just after you remove the tip of the iron.  You have to have the wire flush against the contact surface.  Holding the wire with your needle nose will act as a heat sink and prevent the insulation further down from melting.

With all that said, I'm not sure your audiophile objections are valid.  This is more like speaker wire than interconnect.  I guess there's nothing wrong with "neating-up" the cable.  Is the connector non-standard?  Maybe you could buy a shorter cable.
neo   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:59 am »
Thanks Neobop for the tips.
I like the jewelery loop.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:31 am »
At HeadFi Tomatolicius informed that old style velour Beyer DT990 replacement pads fits perfectly in the HifiMan HE400, part numbers:
1x Replacement Pads EDT 990 V 926679
2x Foam Pad 910236
Unfortunately these pads cost more than the nice HE velour factory pads, which sells only for $10 pair.