Hanging speakers from the ceiling?

IanVan

« on: 3 Aug 2004, 04:14 pm »
I have a system with a pair of GMA Europa's in a large shared bedroom/office with a cathedral ceiling. GIven the presence of a desktop and a computer monitor between my ears and the speakers (and the WAF factor), I've been considering hanging the Europas from the ceiling.

Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions on materials/issues to consider?  The ceiling is about 9'4" where I want to put them, rising up steeply in front of them. Any idea on how far below they need to be placed?

They're currently sitting up about 45" on some pro-audio stands. I keep thinking that if I can hang them with some sort of rope, and make sure they are properly tilted, I might be able to remove some  desktop bounce, and improve the sound (as well as the aesthetics of the room).

TIA.

avalon65

« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2004, 05:39 pm »
I can't offer advice on how low to hang them, but in my college days we hung speakers from the ceiling using fish net. It might offer a bit more security than wrangling a rope around them :wink:

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:11 pm »
I hung my rear speakers using a board with a lip and put some eye bolts into them.  Then I screwed some eye screws into the ceiling joists (through the drywall), then I tied 30 LB fishing line (doubled up) through the eyes to hang them.  

zachslc

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:32 pm »
Wasn't this a big audiophile thing in the 70s and 80s?  Makes sense--perfect isolation.  Perhaps it would be easier to hang the audiophile from the ceiling?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2004, 07:34 am »
Bit of info on the Europa's....43 lbs. each. Cabinet material....solid cast marble. You might check with this AC member.... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2588  ...Roy is the manufacturer. He's always very helpful ! :)

Roy Johnson

• http://GreenMountainAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2004, 03:20 pm »
Ian-
When you hang the Europas (which to my knowledge would be a first!) there are two important considerations beyond safety and the method of hanging:

How to tilt them to aim the time-coherent axis down into your workspace.
The length of the hanging pendulum.

For the first- consider a metal shop bends and drills a piece of 3/16" cold-rolled steel flat stock at least 2" wide into a flattened "U" shape, so that it either comes around the sides of the speakers from the wall and bolts into the marble (we can advise on the size of bolts, etc), or comes down over the top of the speaker from the ceiling to touch each cabinet side. This "U" bracket would need to be mounted to at least one wall stud or ceiling rafter with two 1/4" lag bolts. Secure the speaker with steel cabling from the hardware store, of course.

For the second- if the pendulum length is longer than 12 inches, then the resonant frequency will be so low that the speaker may move with the music- specifically at a 1Hz or so resonant frequency. This tone is not in the music directly, but is there by the way of difference tones- like the beat frequency that emerges while tuning two guitar strings.

Consider the swing arms designed to hold flat-screen computer monitors- they would allow you to swing the speakers out from the wall, and then tilt them down and toe them in. When you are done, push the Europas back up and in. I believe Parts Express and MCM Electronics has some of those available, and I have a master catalog here somewhere from the leading mfg if that helps. There are many styles and weight capacities.

Once you decide, consult with me directly on the size of the bolts/screws into the Europas. Because the cast marble can be unforgiving, specific screws must be used, and their pilot holes into the marble must be the correct size.

Best regards,
Roy Johnson
President/Product Designer
Green Mountain Audio