Polanski Films - What's Your Take?

ajzepp

Polanski Films - What's Your Take?
« on: 7 Nov 2013, 06:28 pm »
Since I first heard of Roman Polanski, I've avoided his films on principle due to his history of child sex abuse. The only one I ever saw was Chinatown, which at the time I didn't realize was one of his. Anyway, I saw the documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" several months ago and found it very interesting. It affected the way I see him as a sex offender, which had a ripple effect in terms of my position on seeing his films.

So, just curious what the rest of you guys think. Do you, or have you ever, avoided his films as I have because of his criminal past? Or do you separate Polanski the person from Polanski the filmmaker?
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm by ajzepp »

rpf

Re: Polanski Films - What's Your Take?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:06 pm »
Yes, I avoid his films because of his history: he should have gotten 20 years.

But also because - and starting long before his wife's death and his drugging and rape of a child - almost everyone of his films includes scenes of rape and violence against women. And they are shot in way that seems intended to convey/produce enjoyment of those acts.

Why has your position changed?

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:36 pm »
I wouldn't say my position has changed, it's more like there has been a lot more information added to the story, if that makes sense. That's partly why I'm interested in what others feel about the guy...there was a whole lot more to it than I ever realized.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:41 pm »
I felt the same way and until I saw that film/documentary on what happened. I started to view him in a more positive light. Sometime later, I heard that the Documentary has quite a bias to it, but w/o going through everything yourself (court and police documents/transcripts) it's tough to really know. :dunno:

Maybe it's my personal POV, but it still doesn't pass the "sniff test". Even if Polanski thought she was older (18? 18!!!  :shake:), he was much older than she was and in a position of huge power in their time together. A "Gentleman" should know and behave better.

My 2 cents

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:54 pm »
I felt the same way and until I saw that film/documentary on what happened. I started to view him in a more positive light. Sometime later, I heard that the Documentary has quite a bias to it, but w/o going through everything yourself (court and police documents/transcripts) it's tough to really know. :dunno:

Maybe it's my personal POV, but it still doesn't pass the "sniff test". Even if Polanski thought she was older (18? 18!!!  :shake:), he was much older than she was and in a position of huge power in their time together. A "Gentleman" should know and behave better.

My 2 cents

Well said. I agree, there's absolutely no excuse for ever taking advantage of a minor. That judge was an absolute joke...I guess it doesn't surprise me that that sort of nonsense goes on in this country, especially among those who are in a position of power. I think that's the aspect where I actually did change my mind - the basis for why he decided to run instead of completing the legal process. Not saying I agree with it, but that was a pretty messed up situation.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:19 pm »
He probably didn't care so long as she had reached puberty.  Shame on him.  And, remember, she was said to be quite the party girl.  Shame on her.  I don't think Polanski was the only grown man to screw her but that doesn't give him license even if she was willing.  That aside, I think he is a world class artist and has made some world class films.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:35 pm »
He probably didn't care so long as she had reached puberty.  Shame on him.  And, remember, she was said to be quite the party girl.  Shame on her.  I don't think Polanski was the only grown man to screw her but that doesn't give him license even if she was willing.  That aside, I think he is a world class artist and has made some world class films.

One thing that I do consider is the fact that hundreds of people worked on his films...by shutting him out, I'm shutting out the work of all the actors, all the behind the scenes people, the editors, etc, etc...part of me things I may be rationalizing things because some of his films seem to be very interesting in terms of their description and reviews, but then again a lot of work by a lot of people does go into making these things...

I dunno, I've never had this much of a moral dilemma about a damn movie before lol

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 7 Nov 2013, 09:08 pm »
Yes, I avoid his films because of his history: he should have gotten 20 years.

But also because - and starting long before his wife's death and his drugging and rape of a child - almost everyone of his films includes scenes of rape and violence against women. And they are shot in way that seems intended to convey/produce enjoyment of those acts.

Why has your position changed?

Well given the time period of those films you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY film that does not have violence against women and shot in a way that does not convey enjoyment of it. Hell my gf and I just watched a Mary Tyler Moore episode from 1972 that was about her being stalked basically, but you could tell the subject matter was no new and so delicate that they STILL had her come out as the one who was 'overreacting'. We were both like wha?

I don't think good or bad about Polanski - what happened to his wife was f*cked up and something like that would cause any of us to respond in any number of ways. He should have done time but according to the above-mentioned documentary the system suffered moral failures of its own. No saints vs. sinners here.

If we stopped watching the films made by people with abhorrent private lives I'm afraid all we'd have left is reality tv - which are of course mostly about people with abhorrent private lives.

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2013, 01:39 am »
That aside, I think he is a world class artist and has made some world class films.

+1

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2013, 02:07 am »
I don't think good or bad about Polanski - what happened to his wife was f*cked up and something like that would cause any of us to respond in any number of ways. He should have done time but according to the above-mentioned documentary the system suffered moral failures of its own. No saints vs. sinners here.

It's pretty cut and dry.  He was 40 years old and admitted to having sex with a 13 year old, game over.   And after that time he further established a pattern of being a sick old man who is into underage girls.  Those aren't things I can personally look past.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2013, 03:22 pm »
Well given the time period of those films you'd be hard-pressed to find ANY film that does not have violence against women and shot in a way that does not convey enjoyment of it. Hell my gf and I just watched a Mary Tyler Moore episode from 1972 that was about her being stalked basically, but you could tell the subject matter was no new and so delicate that they STILL had her come out as the one who was 'overreacting'. We were both like wha?

If we stopped watching the films made by people with abhorrent private lives I'm afraid all we'd have left is reality tv - which are of course mostly about people with abhorrent private lives.

You miss the point that almost all of his films - from his earliest, continuing to the present - present such scenes. Not just those shot decades ago.