N3TL Build and Questions - Update - Finished Finally!!!

persisting1

Re: N3TL Build and Questions - Update and new pictures
« Reply #80 on: 5 Jan 2014, 11:59 pm »
That looks so much better! Really nice work. Congrats  :thumb:

murphy11

« Reply #81 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:06 am »
I like the 2nd base better than the first. Looks properly substantial and in better proportion to the speaker without drawing too much attention to the base.

That veneer is gorgeous - congrats!

lacro

« Reply #82 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:23 am »
Working on some MDF mock ups based on Peter's two tier plinth.

If I decide to go the MDF/epoxy route would you recommend:

1: epoxy each piece individually then laminate them together
2: laminate the pieces together first than epoxy a single, though more complex, unit or
3: epoxy each piece separately and attach them to the cabinets separately  (each bolt goes through both pieces but they are not laminated together).

Mike

Mike,
In this case, the epoxy is just for hardening the MDF. Gluing the 2 pieces together with Titebond or similar would be easier to do before the epoxy coating.

lacro

« Reply #83 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:48 am »
I have two sets of plinths made based on Peter's design. I have put a 3/8" chamfer on the top edge of both pieces. The first one has a 1/2" ledge on each piece per Peter's design.  The second one is identical except it has a 3/4" ledge on each piece. 

Larry, you were right about the India ink. it works much better than the dyes or stains I have tried before and is dry to the touch within an hour. Now I need to find a less expensive source. It is $4 an ounce at the local hobby store.

First up are pictures of the plinth with the 1/2" ledge and 3/8" roundover.

Yes, I know the grill isn't straight. It is actually made for the other speaker so the magnets don't line up (I don't have the cover on the grill frame for this speaker yet).

Here is the same design with a 3/4" ledge and 3/8" chamfer

See, the grill actually fits on this speaker.

I think I might increase the chamfer to 1/2" on the plinth with the 3/4" ledge and see how it looks.

Mike

Mike,
maybe I am in a minority, but to my eyes, the 45 degree chamfer's on the base do NOT mix well with the speaker's roundover edges. I would round-over the base edges the same as the tower. I have some speaker stands done with 45 degree chamfers on all edges, and they look great. Just don't like the roundover/chamfer mix.
Just my opinion. YMMV....

India Ink is really great on MDF (alcohol base) I found one 1oz bottle to be enough for speakers and stands. However yours are larger boxes.

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 6 Jan 2014, 01:59 am »
+1 on this, but...  why don't youdecide  for sure which base  you like better ,  the   3/4 or the 1?2   then  round over the    the one  your not going to use to compare  the  two different styles.... if you like the round over, you can always do the other one

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 6 Jan 2014, 03:09 am »
That's a good idea. I did a roundover by itself to begin with but wasn't all that fond of it. That's why I went with the chamfer. But I didn't do a complete plinth with the roundover and set the speakers on it to see. I have enough MDF laying around to make another test plinth after I decide on width.

I've ordered in a pair of the outriggers also. They should be in by the end of the week. I'll hold off on deciding which width I like best until I see them both with the outriggers.  After I decide on width I'll decide on edge profile.

Mike

PMAT

« Reply #86 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:47 am »
Haha so funny.. I've done a lot of woodwork and veneering still scares me. You did a great job and everyone is like your family criticizing your clothing on your first date regarding the bases. Love it! Keep up the good work.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: 6 Jan 2014, 05:03 pm »
Thanks PMAT. Veneering scares me too, not as much as it used to but there is still so much to learn.

To be fair to everyone, I asked for their input, ideas, suggestions, and critique. This type of feedback and my willingness to be flexible is what will allow me to end up with a much better looking pair of speakers than I would have had on my own. I may not always take somebody's suggestion but I will give it due consideration then incorporate, modify or reject it as I feel best fits the intended result. In this case, a high quality pair of stereo speakers that are also a high quality piece of furniture which my wife and I will enjoy and others will drool over (no vanity there huh?)  :)

This is my 3rd GR build. To date I have built a three channel X-LS/CS Encore system and a pair of N1X's.  With each build I gain skill plus help and ideas from folks on this forum which I carry over into the next build.

So thanks again to everyone for you ideas, comments, complements and critiques.

Now it is time to start finishing those cabinets. Filling the pores is the next step. That's going to be so much fun. I think I have enough end grain sawdust made up.  :roll:

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #88 on: 6 Jan 2014, 09:42 pm »

I may not always take somebody's suggestion but I will give it due consideration then incorporate, modify or reject it as I feel best fits the intended result. In this case, a high quality pair of stereo speakers that are also a high quality piece of furniture which my wife and I will enjoy and others will drool over (no vanity there huh?)  :)

So thanks again to everyone for you ideas, comments, complements and critiques.

Mike

That's the great  thing about  this forum  :thumb:
BTW,  none  of it is meant as critcism, it's all  just  different suggestions and  alternatives.  Like you  mentined,   you need to decide what is right for you.

In any event,  these are going to be one gorgeous pair of  N3's   

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:11 am »
I'm waiting on the outriggers before I make a final decision on the plinth. In the meantime I have sanded everything to 320 grit, found out the veneer I chose doesn't have any pores that need to be filled (after I spent the better part of a week trying to fill the non-existent pores  :duh:) Oh well, at least everything was glassy smooth for laying down the build coats of shellack so I can start polishing.

After getting the build coats on all sides I cutout the port and driver openings. Lesson learned, If you plan on covering the cabinets with veneer, do not round over the edges of the port opening. It leaves a void under the edges of the veneer after flush trimming. I had to fill the voids with wood filler, sand everything down and re-dye the edges of the port opening. 

After cutting out all the openings and cleaning everything up I test fit the drivers

I need to put one more build coat of shellack on the fronts then I'll be ready to start the French polishing.

Mike

grimace

« Reply #90 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm »
Mike,

Great work on these. Here's a pic of my bases from (Reuben) to help validate the direction you went.

They are plenty stable.

Captainhemo

« Reply #91 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:44 pm »
Getting closer Mike,  looking great  man...
Not much longer till  "Xmas"    :lol:

-jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 18 Jan 2014, 03:57 am »
Jay,

Christmas 2013 is turning out to be a floating holiday this year. They could have been a birthday present but that's coming up on Monday so I won't make that either. To think I originally thought I'd have these done by Thanksgiving. Danged work keeps getting in the way   :dunno:

Grimace,

Thanks. Are your speakers attached to the plinths or do they sit down in them?

Mike

grimace

« Reply #93 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:58 am »
Jay,

Christmas 2013 is turning out to be a floating holiday this year. They could have been a birthday present but that's coming up on Monday so I won't make that either. To think I originally thought I'd have these done by Thanksgiving. Danged work keeps getting in the way   :dunno:

Grimace,

Thanks. Are your speakers attached to the plinths or do they sit down in them?

Mike

They sit down in them and they are attached with screws. I move them around a lot, and this setup works great. Have spikes when they are on carpet but just use some rubber "feet" on the hardwood floors where they spend the most time.

You are going to absolutely love em. Still can't get over how much bass they have. Introduced my daughter to some Pink Floyd tonight and they sound so good loud too!  :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 25 Jan 2014, 02:15 am »
How about some Fleetwood Mac or Jethro Tull or Phil Collins for bass?  :D

I can only play loud when my wife's not in the house.  Even then I don't like it much above 87dB with an occasional spike up to 92dB.

This cold snap has pretty much stalled progress. Even running both space heaters wide open 24/7 I'm having problems keeping the garage above 50F.  That's too cold for me to apply any finish.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 12 Feb 2014, 02:58 am »
Almost there. I'll finish the french polishing tonight. Tomorrow night I'll rub out the finish and put a coat of wax on. Then Thursday evening I'll install the crossovers and AcustaStuff.

1) How much stuffing goes in each area?

2) From the look of the drawing, the stuffing covers the through holes of the brace B's. Is this correct?

3) Is the stuffing just loosely placed in or is it glued in?

Mike

IronForge

« Reply #96 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:42 am »
Almost there. I'll finish the french polishing tonight. Tomorrow night I'll rub out the finish and put a coat of wax on. Then Thursday evening I'll install the crossovers and AcustaStuff.

Mike

Now Biff, make sure you get two coats of wax.

Wow awesome work on these speakers.. looking great.. and I'm sure sounding great!

Danny Richie

« Reply #97 on: 12 Feb 2014, 04:15 am »
Mike, simply loosely fill those areas.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #98 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:10 am »
Now Biff, make sure you get two coats of wax.

Wow awesome work on these speakers.. looking great.. and I'm sure sounding great!

Just finishing the second coat now...

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #99 on: 12 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
Mike, simply loosely fill those areas.

Thanks Danny

Mike