High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...

jcotner

Re: High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...
« Reply #320 on: 21 Jan 2014, 08:18 pm »
Danny did you post box plans yet (what's currently being built by CNC) and can that
box design accommodate the off axis tweeter earlier referenced?

Danny Richie

« Reply #321 on: 21 Jan 2014, 09:19 pm »
Danny did you post box plans yet (what's currently being built by CNC) and can that
box design accommodate the off axis tweeter earlier referenced?

I did not post them. I only fired them off to Ben.

One could mount a rear firing tweeter in the back of the box pretty easily.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #322 on: 21 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm »
These seem like a great speaker kit to make a boom box with. Use a flat pack for the speakers and one more box without the cutouts on the face for the amp and a pure i20 dock. With the built in dac the i20 has, that's all you would need. Alternatively one could install a USB dac and use a computer as a source. I would think this could make a pretty darn good traveling system. Connect all three boxes together so they can detach, put a handle on it and your good to go.

baniels

« Reply #323 on: 22 Jan 2014, 07:37 pm »
Hi folks,

I have emailed this to all of those with flat packs en route, but for anyone else interested, this will give you an idea of how these go together.

Download the PDF here ------->  LGK Assembly Guide v1.0

chip

« Reply #324 on: 22 Jan 2014, 08:03 pm »
What are the dimensions of this desktop speaker?

baniels

« Reply #325 on: 22 Jan 2014, 08:13 pm »
12 x 8 x 4.5

yakman2000

« Reply #326 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:09 pm »
So, this isn't the last buy of these things, is it?

baniels

« Reply #327 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:19 pm »
No, I will be making another batch starting tomorrow evening. I have three sheets of 1/2 material on hand, and can have more by Monday. It would help to predict the demand if those that want them would place an order on my website. It'll allow backorders even though the stock is currently zero.

http://www.subassemble.com/product/lgk/

yakman2000

« Reply #328 on: 23 Jan 2014, 06:52 pm »
And the drivers will be available going forward?

Danny Richie

« Reply #329 on: 23 Jan 2014, 07:31 pm »
And the drivers will be available going forward?

500 units have been made. Shipping arrangements are being made. They are trying to get them shipped out before the Chinese new year. Still working on logistics....

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #330 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:18 am »
Received my flatpacks today. These look really nice Ben. The front baffle fit fine on the one cabinet I have dry fitted. Question, why 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4"?

I take it the recess is set so the driver will sit flush with the front of the raw baffle, correct?

The reason I ask is because I plan on veneering at least one of these two pairs. With the veneer on, the driver would no longer be flush with the front baffle but be recessed the thickness of the veneer.  If I can find gasket material the same thickness as whatever veneer I use I could make a gasket that would space the driver out so it sits flush with the finished baffle. Any other ideas?

Mike

baniels

« Reply #331 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:34 am »
Mike - great. 1/2 vs 3/4 was Danny's call. For the size of the speaker and driver, I think 1/2 is probably all that is needed. They are well braced.

Yes, the recess on the baffle is meant be flush with the driver. When I QC'd the baffles, the driver I have was pretty much dead flush.

You should have no problem making up a little depth with some extra gasket tape. It's not uncommon for flange thickness to vary slightly from one driver to the next, speaking generally - I've only seen one of the drivers for this design. Gasket material paired with attention while screwing in the driver can overcome anything other than too shallow or grossly deep recesses.

Let me know how the assembly goes. I'm in the holding pattern now with mine - 5 sides together waiting for the drivers, contemplating finish options. A friend of mine runs a powder coating shop. I've asked him to look into this. Could open up a lot of options.

Received my flatpacks today. These look really nice Ben. The front baffle fit fine on the one cabinet I have dry fitted. Question, why 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4"?

I take it the recess is set so the driver will sit flush with the front of the raw baffle, correct?

The reason I ask is because I plan on veneering at least one of these two pairs. With the veneer on, the driver would no longer be flush with the front baffle but be recessed the thickness of the veneer.  If I can find gasket material the same thickness as whatever veneer I use I could make a gasket that would space the driver out so it sits flush with the finished baffle. Any other ideas?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #332 on: 24 Jan 2014, 01:41 am »

1/2" thick was all that was needed especially with the No Rez on the sides. And the largest span between braces is only 3.5". So not much panel resonance going on. The box is as solid as a rock. And the little 3" driver isn't going to be putting a lot of force on the cabinet either. 1/2" thick cabinets also minimize the surface reflections improving imaging.

Yep.

I had them add a nice little gasket on each driver. So there may be a little flexibility there.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #333 on: 24 Jan 2014, 02:29 am »
A friend of mine runs a powder coating shop. I've asked him to look into this. Could open up a lot of options.

I've never heard of powder coating wood. Wouldn't the oven baking damage the wood or melt the NoRez?

Mike

baniels

« Reply #334 on: 24 Jan 2014, 02:33 am »
Good point about the no-rez. I would probably have a contrasting baffle and do this before the no-rez.

I sent him that link and have only spoken with him briefly. I guess part of the process uses UV lights instead of the normal oven time and temps for metal coating.

I've never heard of powder coating wood. Wouldn't the oven baking damage the wood or melt the NoRez?

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #335 on: 24 Jan 2014, 03:47 am »
That would be interesting. You can get some really interesting colors, including fades, with powder coating. At least you can on bicycle frames.

Another question: between the 1/2" material, dados, and rabbets can the vertical edges of the front baffles be rounded over and if so, what would be the maximum radius?

Mike

baniels

« Reply #336 on: 24 Jan 2014, 04:40 am »
Great question, Mike.

For the front, 3/8" is probably the largest common size you want to use before the roundover encroaches on the driver recess. 1/2" slightly cuts into the recess. On paper, the edge of the recess would be met perfectly with a corner radius of .43075.

For the rear you have more room to play with. The image below will show the implications of a few options. Does this help?

Captainhemo

« Reply #337 on: 24 Jan 2014, 04:40 am »
Not sure if the powder coating could be made to adhere as it is usually applied electonically .
Might be some  other way of  applieig it,  not too sure....

-jay

Well,  obviously I was   wrong, things have changed  quite a bit....  a quick google search   
http://www.powdercoating.org/18/Store-Resources/Powder-Coating-on-Wood

Looking forward to hearig what your buddy tells you  Ben , should be interesting
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2014, 08:37 am by Captainhemo »

Danny Richie

« Reply #338 on: 24 Jan 2014, 06:34 am »
I used a 3/8" round over on the pair that I built out. Looks good.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #339 on: 24 Jan 2014, 07:00 am »
Danny,

Can you tell me how much a speaker ways with the driver in it?

Thanks,

Greg