High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...

oz_audio_todd

Re: High quality desk top speaker? Full range drivers...
« Reply #120 on: 8 Dec 2013, 04:04 am »

It could be a WWWWWWWWMMTMMWWWWWWWW array. 
So that design would be about 2 metres tall, approximately $650 in drivers alone (each) and only good down to 150Hz or so??
Still if they took 300watts at 93dB and sounded good, I guess they could prove useful(!) (still massive though!).
I suppose just the MMTMM, centre section in a ported lifestyle setup could be a giant killer with 100W or so at that sorta sensitivity!  :)

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #121 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:58 am »
So that design would be about 2 metres tall, approximately $650 in drivers alone (each) and only good down to 150Hz or so??
Still if they took 300watts at 93dB and sounded good, I guess they could prove useful(!) (still massive though!).
I suppose just the MMTMM, centre section in a ported lifestyle setup could be a giant killer with 100W or so at that sorta sensitivity!  :)

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. I'm afraid I'll drool on my keyboard and short it out..

Oh well.. I'll shoot for no later than early 2ndQ 2014 for a small 'GK Solo' prototype and try to cool my jets..

Danny Richie

« Reply #122 on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:10 pm »
WWWMMtMMWWWWWW would work too. That wouldn't be too big.

The sensitivity would drop to 87.5db but you can run one from 200Hz or so and up and cross it over to nine of them below using a first order series network. The added output of three groups of three in the lower ranges would compensate for the reduced output that you get in the sub 200Hz range in an open baffle. If a side wing was added to just the right length then they might play down to a good 100Hz or less crossover point.

That wouldn't be real expensive and could sound incredible.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #123 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:27 pm »
WWWMMtMMWWWWWW would work too. That wouldn't be too big.

The sensitivity would drop to 87.5db but you can run one from 200Hz or so and up and cross it over to nine of them below using a first order series network. The added output of three groups of three in the lower ranges would compensate for the reduced output that you get in the sub 200Hz range in an open baffle. If a side wing was added to just the right length then they might play down to a good 100Hz or less crossover point.

That wouldn't be real expensive and could sound incredible.

I'd pass on the open baffle for the portable stuff, just because it's going to get knocked around a lot. But if it went down to 100Hz then two of the 2x8 or 2x10 subwoofer configurations talked about in another thread would make for great bass, plus provide something to put the arrays on.

Danny Richie

« Reply #124 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:39 pm »
I'd pass on the open baffle for the portable stuff, just because it's going to get knocked around a lot. But if it went down to 100Hz then two of the 2x8 or 2x10 subwoofer configurations talked about in another thread would make for great bass, plus provide something to put the arrays on.

Actually the ideal subs would be open baffle as well.

Sealed box versions can be built too, but the amount of air spaced needed for all of those drivers would start adding up real quick and get quite large.

And you would never want to set speakers like this on the subs. Keeping them in a separate box unconnected to the main speakers is very important.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #125 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm »
Actually the ideal subs would be open baffle as well.

Sealed box versions can be built too, but the amount of air spaced needed for all of those drivers would start adding up real quick and get quite large.

And you would never want to set speakers like this on the subs. Keeping them in a separate box unconnected to the main speakers is very important.

Now we're havin' some fun! I can tell I'm going to be doing a lot of research on this between now and the time I can get the cash together.

Of course, one of the biggest factors is the venues I'm playing now, and the ones I envision playing in in the foreseeable future.

Danny Richie

« Reply #126 on: 8 Dec 2013, 10:51 pm »
A little open baffle tower will be light weight and easy to move around, but will need to be placed out in the room and away from the front wall. Just like any open baffle design they will need at least 3 feet of space or more.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #127 on: 8 Dec 2013, 11:53 pm »
What is the sensitivity of these?
I'm wondering how many watts it would take to properly drive them for a modest PC speaker rig.

Bob

EDIT: Also, if a guy got crazy and did some kind of radical TL type thing and kept the majority of the TL under the desk, would that be in the ballpark if reality?

Danny Richie

« Reply #128 on: 9 Dec 2013, 12:43 am »
87.5db is the average I get on them.

And 10 watts or more drives them great.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #129 on: 9 Dec 2013, 01:05 am »
Thanks. I was thinking about one of those Lepai[sp?] type amps.

bonsai

« Reply #130 on: 9 Dec 2013, 01:57 am »
I built a similar pair of speakers as this project.  I built with a pair of 4 in Tang Band titanium drivers that are pretty nice sounding to my ears.

1 cu foot box, 1" X 4" long port. 

I built around a AMP6 from www.41hz.com that is a Tripath amp.  I run from MP3 players, IPhones etc that have volume control.  The amp is real nice in this application and the Tripath chip is excellent.  I have the amp in one speaker and it is a bit smaller than a tin of Sucrets mints.  I run the 12v into the speaker and then the ouput from the amp to the speaker with the other out to the speaker connect that runs to the other speaker. 

These small full range speakers can do wonders for the size!!!

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #131 on: 10 Dec 2013, 07:18 pm »
This is taking too long Danny. Less talk, more speakers. Do it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #132 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:15 pm »
This is taking too long Danny. Less talk, more speakers. Do it.

I ordered a small production run of them to be made last week. They are in production.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #133 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:31 pm »
Do they have a price?

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:45 pm »
Do they have a price?

I am going to try to introduce them at $29 a piece. Shipping via ocean freight, customs bond renewing, customs clearing cost, duty, and inland shipping is going to make it tough to hold that price though. So that could go up, but I know you AC guys would appreciate a good deal on something really cool that sounds great. So I plan to introduce them at that price.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #135 on: 10 Dec 2013, 09:37 pm »
I am going to try to introduce them at $29 a piece. Shipping via ocean freight, customs bond renewing, customs clearing cost, duty, and inland shipping is going to make it tough to hold that price though. So that could go up, but I know you AC guys would appreciate a good deal on something really cool that sounds great. So I plan to introduce them at that price.

Great price. How many on order? I'd like to do two before the initial Q is exhausted, even if I have to leave them sitting around for a while before I can get to the project.

Danny Richie

« Reply #136 on: 10 Dec 2013, 09:59 pm »
Great price. How many on order? I'd like to do two before the initial Q is exhausted, even if I have to leave them sitting around for a while before I can get to the project.

I had to order a LOT! So I think you will be able to get your two in before they are all gone.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #137 on: 10 Dec 2013, 10:59 pm »
Will you have the desktop crossover network and cabinet designs done by the time the drivers are available or should I plan on buying the drivers by themselves up front and hold on to them until the designs are done?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #138 on: 10 Dec 2013, 11:36 pm »
Will you have the desktop crossover network and cabinet designs done by the time the drivers are available or should I plan on buying the drivers by themselves up front and hold on to them until the designs are done?

Mike

I am working on the desk top design right now. As soon as I have it complete I am sending the design over to Ben. Ben has nice tools:

Then Ben is going to CNC cut a flat pack for me to glue up and test with. So I will have the kinks worked out and flat packs available before the LGK-1.0's even get here.

And don't ask me for the flat pack cost yet. Ben doesn't even have the plans yet.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 11 Dec 2013, 01:08 am »
I'll say he has some nice tools, puts my hand held stuff to shame

Mike