Going to a classic rock concert tonight..Styx, Kansas, ...

Marbles

and John Waite (formerly of the Babys).

Will do the bourbon thing with dinner...have a designated driver lined up, hearing protection bought, and waitress service at our seats...

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2003, 07:25 pm »
That sounds like fun.  I saw them both years ago...pretty good shows.  I really liked that Styx video you lent me.  Madam Blue, Chrystal Ball....Oh yea.

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2003, 07:36 pm »
Sounds like fun, enjoy the show, food and libations

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2003, 06:09 pm »
John Waite had more hits then I remembered.  He was OK..no show, just his band playing music.  He played for the usual 45 minute opening 3rd act.

Kansas was up next and they played for about 75 minutes.  They had a few more lights than JW, but really no show either.

Styx was last, and they played for about 90 minutes.

Tommy Shaw and James Young are all that remain of the original band.  Their new drummer and bass player are much better than the originals IMO.

No one can really take Dennis De Youngs place, and his replacement was adequate, but not as good as the original.

They had a more of a show than either of the previous bands.

Why do bands have to play so damn loud?  I brought hearing protection and even gave some to the about 8 year old kid two seats down.  Stupid parents....

He thanked me between acts..said he was getting a headache and JW had only been playing about 5 minutes.

One thing I noticed from concerts years ago....there was no smoke in the place..not even cigerette smoke!

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2003, 06:38 pm »
Usually it's not just the loudness but the awful frequency balance that drives me nuts.  Were you able to understand the spoken bits between songs?  On many shows I've been to speech has been almost indecipherable.  I figure there must be some gonzo phasey whatsits going on in the three way crossovers.

Nice that there wasn't any smoke though!

If I have to put in earplugs at a show I feel ripped off.  I feel like they owe me money.  I've tried those plugs that aren't supposed to kill the treble so much, but it was bogus.  Still muffled and useless.  I think it's a travesty that concerts are made to be OSHA-hazards that you have to protect yourself from.  That is just fundamentally fucked up!  Loud is good, but loud hashy fatiguing distortion I can do without.  But the band and the crew are probably half-deaf anyway, they endure this shit all the time!  :(

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2003, 06:49 pm »
The plugs took the edge off EVERYTHING.  Details and distortion without prejudice.

Good thing I knew most of the lyrics or else I might not have been able to make out some of them.

Most of the guys I was with put the plug in their left ear, the one towards the speaker and left their right ear open.  I did this for the amplified acoustical songs, but could not on anything with drums or electric guitars.

Now I remember why I like concert DVD's so well.  I get to control about everything from the volume to pauses for refreshments :-)

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2003, 04:09 am »
I've never tried it before, but I think I should go to a concert drunk once.  That seems to be what everyone else is doing, and they seem to be having more fun. *sigh*  

I'm waiting for the day one of those bands plays my town's "Fish Day" event - we get all the old washed up rockers!  It's hilarious.  I saw Styx once at a county fair, the place where old bands go to die...  :lol: