Am I crazy or what?

pelliott321

Am I crazy or what?
« on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:21 pm »
I have been enjoying my rebuilt MaggyIIIa's (hard wood frames and premium xover parts)for about four years now.
I have since bought another pair for back up parts. so I have been thinking about an arrangement of the panels like the drawing here.

Each piece would be in a separate frame.  The two mids and two bass panels would be connected in series with one ribbon in the middle times.  This would be one channel and would be duplicated for the other.  I know I would have to rework the xover.
I could easily prototype this by just building one frame to the "Extra" panel and set it along side what I already have.

What I am asking if if this is just too crazy to try

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Am I crazy or what?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2013, 09:53 pm »
Yes, you're crazy.
Yes, you need to do this!!!

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2013, 12:42 pm »
One of the benefits of an MTM design is to minimize the interaction of the tweeter with the floor and ceiling by inserting mid/bass drivers above and below the tweeter in a vertical arrangement. The horizontal arrangement you propose may very well limit the side to side dispersion of the tweeter ribbon and narrow your sweet spot and limit the width of your perceived soundstage.

Of course, I may be completely full of baloney and not know what I am talking about, but I have never seena horizontal MTM speaker produced, except for center channel home theater rigs. There is likely a reason for this. May be worthwhile talking with a pro speaker desiner about your idea before you commit the time, effort and materials.

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2013, 04:57 pm »
The only thing you know for sure is that the polar response will be symmetrical.  But even though it's symmetrical, it's going to be very complicated.  Much opportunity for comb filtering and various lobing patterns to confuse the power response.

The analogy to a conventional MTM speaker is not bad.  You see the same issues with MTM speakers, but just not as involved.  In my opinion, the only valid reason to construct an MTM speaker is the sensitivity issue since two conventional woofers in parallel usually match fairly closely to a single tweeter sensitivity-wise and it yields an approximate 6db SPL increase.  However, a standard MT configuration is preferable for all other considerations.  I suspect that might be the case with this experiment as well.

Cheers,

Dave.

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2013, 07:35 pm »
You will probably have a pronounced horizontal venetion blind effect due to the lobing pattern. A simple test to see what your proposed arrangement would sound like could be done by setting the speakers side by side per your drawing and taking the fuse out of one of the tweeters. Viola, you have the array and lobing patterns of your design without building it out. If the result sounds good you can go ahead and finish the project.
Scotty.
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2013, 05:33 pm by *Scotty* »

pelliott321

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm »
So with the above this does not sound like a good idea, which agrees with the inmates over at AA, I guess I just have to wait for Mr Anderson to knock on my door so I will be able to buy and restore a Tympany IVa