Phone camera to replace digital camera? Samsung Galaxy Camera disappointing

Jon L

I was at the Verizon store, trying to undo a Verizon mess-up (what else is new?).  It gave me a chance to scope out my next phone, upon which I will be placing a large emphasis on *good* camera performance, as I tire of carrying a real camera to various casual events.

My prime candidate, the Samsung Galaxy Camera, was heavily disappointing.  It was MUCH larger and heavier than any phone OR compact camera I've owned, not to mention the ugliest.  It's like they literally took a phone and camera and fused them without weight or size savings.  The 21x zoom lens was not bad even zoomed all the way out as far as IQ and focus speed, but it looked ludicrous when zoomed out.  Considering it only has the usual 1/2.3" size sensor, larger than usual phone but same as run-of-the-mill point-and-shoot, this phone should have been smaller and lighter. 

Nokia Lumia 1020 is a candidate with its larger 1/1.5" sensor but why 41.3 MP??  Verizon does not even carry it, and I would like to stick to Android anyway.  Any other candidates? 

Galaxycam1 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Galaxycam2 by drjlo2, on Flickr

bside123

Hi Jon,

I've been in the exact same dilemma lately and have been looking around and surfing the web as well. So far, I've resigned myself to have to carry a camera AND a phone. I always have a camera around my neck, so I thought that at least I'd like to put one in my pocket. I've been considering the Sony RX100 II or the Sony "Lens Camera," the QX100, which is compatible as either a stand alone or an attachment with both Android and iPhones. Comes with a Zeiss 1.8 lens! Otherwise, there's supposed to be a rash of small camera and tech announcements through the end of the year.  There's an every increasing amount of small, high quality cameras coming out... that is if you can keep up and have got the $$$ :scratch:

Din

Brad

Don't know when/if Verizon will have a variant of the Nokia 1020. :scratch:
I'd have one now if they did. :evil:

That said, the Verizon Lumia 929 is supposed to announce Nov 5 or 6.  It's a 5" variant of the 1520 that was announced today.
20mp Pureview.  Full 1080p

Also announced today was RAW support from the 1020 and 1520. :thumb:
Hate the US AT&T exclusive for the newest/best Nokia products.
Not a big ATT fan, but considering switching carriers.

I want a 'good enough' phone camera to replace my point/shoot for when I don't want to haul around the DSLR.

Jon L

the Sony "Lens Camera," the QX100, which is compatible as either a stand alone or an attachment with both Android and iPhones. Comes with a Zeiss 1.8 lens!

Yeah, I was initially excited by the Sony QX100, but this video review convinced me it's not for me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jgKD2ascc