What was in our room at RMAF

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
What was in our room at RMAF
« on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:03 am »
I just wanted to post a listing of the gear used in our 2 setups for anyone interested.

Setup 1 was the Nimbus White - $9495/pair
Amps used were the Arte Forma Due Volte monoblocks at $6500/pair.  These are SET 805 based tube amps that do 40wpc, great match for the 93db efficient Nimbus. 
The front end consisted of the amazing Empirical Audio Overdrive SE DAC, Empirical Off-Ramp with Dynamo power supply, and the Empirical Final Drives.  Hopefully Steve can post pricing, or see his subforum ... but I believe the Overdrive is $8500, Off-Ramp around $2000, and the Final Drives are just under $3000.  All these pieces of gear are what I hope to someday have in my own systems at home, they're simply best of the best. 
Our source was the Antipodes music servers, on this end we were using his new prototype box which Mark says is the best sounding server yet ... and I certainly can't disagree.  We also used his Antipodes cabling throughout, same cabling I use at home and have no intention of changing at any time. 

Setup 2 was the new Joule White, could call it Joule White 2.0 since it's a complete redesign - $12,995/pair
Amps used were the BMC M2 monoblocks at $8390/each.  They're the best solid state I've heard, dynamics and jump with a very resolving and neutral sound.
Due to my BMC DAC1 deciding to cause issues after 2 years of trouble free operation at home and at shows, we used the new BMC PureDAC that's $1690.  After a first day where it was a bit hard, it broke in nicely and was very smooth and refined by day 2.
We also had the BMC BDCD1.1 belt drive cd player at $4990.  I wasn't able to use the Superlink connection due to my DAC1 issue, but still this is the best CD player available in my mind ... if you need a cd player. 
Server was again the Antipodes, this time the DV Reference (love the case btw).  Price I believe is around $4000 with 6TB of storage, and functioned as a NAS for the room.  As somebody who has been near 100% computer based audio for almost a decade, nothing for me has come close to the performance of the Antipodes boxes. 
Cables were also Antipodes throughout. 

Of course we had GIK panels and diffusers throughout the room, maybe not as much as that big room could have used, but enough to keep the room under control and reaching it's potential.

Also making an appearance in the room was the new VH Audio Plasmatron (or Psychotron).  At $4000 it isn't inexpensive, but really works!  I can see one (or multiples) appearing in my home systems soon.   Oh, and they make the absolute coolest audiophile night lights ever!

Biggest thanks to Arte Forma, Antipodes, Empirical Audio, BMC, GIK, and VH Audio ... you guys made it happen just as much as we did!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: What was in our room at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:21 am »

Antipodes was in the Hyatt Regency (RMAF is growing every year), a five minute walk from the Marriott, and was paired with Vapor Joule Black Loudspeakers ($13K) and Arte Forma Audio tube and pre and power amps that looked like works of art. Audiophilia writers are big fans of designer Mark Jenkins’ Antipodes Audio cables and I have been reviewing his new music servers. Quality products, quality people.

RMAF article link...

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:25 am »
Ryan, you must be absolutely exhausted.

Just a note that your website page for the Nimbus White says Wavecor mids, but they are Accuton?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:32 pm »
Ryan, you must be absolutely exhausted.

Just a note that your website page for the Nimbus White says Wavecor mids, but they are Accuton?

Well, not anymore ... slept 12 hours yesterday, and about 10 hours last night.  I'm caught up  :banana piano:

I haven't even proofed the new website yet, it went live while we were driving to Denver.  So much to do!

Douger

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2013, 04:42 pm »
Hi Ryan, looking at Antipodes website, I see no mention of the amplifier power cords.  Any ideas of pricing? :?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2013, 08:53 pm »
Ryan - the loaded Overdrive SE DAC is actually on sale right now.  Instead of $8700, its $6700.  Off-Ramp 5 as configured for the show (OTL, Turboclock, S/PDIF Hynes Reg) is $2399.00 and the Final Drive transformer buffer/selectors are $2999.00

Total value of the front-end $12K plus USB and S/PDIF cables.  (used my BNC-BNC cable which sells for $250)

The Antipodes server worked perfectly with my USB interfaces and sounded great.  It is the only one that I have heard where FLAC and .wav files were identical in SQ.  Solves the problem of metadata and .wav files.

There were dCS Vivaldi DACs ($35K) on either side of us, in the Wilson and Scaena rooms.  I'll take my DAC, thank you.

I'm pissed off again, the big magazines didn't get over to the Hyatt or just ignored us. Not even a mention or photos.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2013, 09:25 pm »

Antipodes

• Antipodes Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2013, 03:10 am »
Antipodes Audio was using the following in the Vapor room.  We worked crazy hours from about August to get our new models at RMAF and only missed with the new flagship server because we didn't get the cases done in time, but we showed it anyway.

We used our latest server model line-up, including the DX in a prototype case (to be released in November 2013).  The DS and DV are available now.
DS Reference $3,450  2TB internal storage and CD auto-ripping.
DV Reference $4,800  Better layout than the DS for reduced electrical noise interference, twice the storage and faster CD/DVD/Blu Ray ripping.
DX $5200  Similar to the DV Reference, but using our latest platform, which allows an ideal layout and a higher-spec'd power supply.
In this case we mainly played from the DS and DX, and configured the DV with 6TB of storage and to be a high-quality NAS for the other two to play from.

And we were using our new model cable line-up (all being released in November 2013) using wire made in-house with a new process, and improved cotton assemblies for insulation.  No plastics involved in the insulation, so though they are thick cables they are very flexible.
Antipodes Reference Speaker Cables  $1500 the first stereo meter plus $500 per additional half meter.  These cables use pure solid silver wire.
Antipodes Reference Interconnects  $2500 the first stereo meter plus $1,000 per additional half meter.  These cables use pure gold wire and pure silver wire, roughly 50%/50% by weight.

EdRo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2013, 03:30 pm »
     Hey, Steve. Something tells me that the Wilson room didn't get ignored. The Vapor room was next door to the Wilson room, right? Heck, the Nimbus happened to be the same color as the Wilsons speakers, right? Maybe caviar and crackers, a fine vintage wine, and some "servers" would get more attention. Maybe for the Chicago show. I think that the old adage, "Build it and they will come" will work for Vapor , Arte Forma, and Empirical; continue on your paths together, and soon they won't be able to ignore you guys!!!   :flame: Just keep putting on the heat, and you WILL START A FIRE!!!