RMAF 2013 Thread

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: RMAF 2013 Thread
« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:12 pm »
Check out our YouTube Channel for a 3 part video of Tyson and Pez listening to their demo CD on the Joule White at RMAF.  We really appreciate all the hard work those guys have done delivering the most comprehensive and honest show coverage I have seen this year.  Still working on getting parts 2 and 3 uploaded, but here is part 1 of their review.  It was good to see those guys still having a good time after listening to the same tracks umpteen times at the show.  I just wanted to give an idea of how much work these guys are doing to anyone who hasn't been able to make it to RMAF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1hG_IR9O8

standub

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:14 pm »
Price on the Joules? Those are the best looking two boxers that I have ever seen.

I think $12,995 for the white and $12,495 for the black.  Personally I would take the black.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:27 pm »
I was a little disappointed in the sound of the Joule White at the show.  Now, bare with me, I had very high expectations, so I was just a little disappointed.  I was hoping to walk away, blown away, and instead I felt they sounded a little hard and edgy.  I am not familiar with the sound of the BMC stuff, so my impressions could easily be due to the electronics.  I must say though, I heard lots of high end speakers which sounded terrible during the show…  speakers I have heard sounding better on other occasions, including much more expensive models from famous designers.  I am starting to think that I am now just used to a better sounding DAC, and most DACs can just just sound hard to my ears…   At RMAF ones which did not were MSB and Light Harmonic.   
I am still considering Joules (but perhaps the Black) for my next speaker, but will have to listen again sometime.  I am in no hurry, as the necessary funding will be awhile in the making!
The Nimbus seemed quite a bit more forgiving and (perhaps because of the very different electronics) in sound, and, a little less accurate, it sounded really impressive, except on big orchestral crescendos, which sounded somewhat congested.

standub

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2013, 11:39 pm »
From what I heard and what some other people have said, I think the BMC Pure DAC is a bit on the 'digital' side to put it.  I noticed in T&P's photos that they had replace it with the Empirical Audio gear, it would be interesting to hear the difference.  Also I'm also on the side that isn't a huge fan of the Accutron drivers which can tend toward the harsh side.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2013, 12:05 am »
I have heard some sweet sounding speakers using the Accuton drivers, like Estelon.  I think they are probably just very demanding in terms of both speaker design and associated components.  I would guess that I might prefer the Black though…  but who really knows.  From what I have heard of the Raal, they do not seem to objectionable sounding drivers.  But speaker design is a huge factor, rather than just the drivers themselves.
I am still very interested in the Joule, as it is the right size speaker for me, and offers a lot of value for the price.  I use a DIY DAC, and can tune that to be sure I have no harsh digital sound there…
I know lots of people love Steve's DAC, and I respect his work, but have never been impressed by the DAC, but again, only heard it at RMAF a few times, and I never make hard decisions about how things sound from show listening.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2013, 01:06 am »
Check out our YouTube Channel .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn1hG_IR9O8
I watched all seven videos. The rooms looks pretty cool, wish I was there.
I even gave you your first "thumbs up" on all seven videos.  :thumb: .......  Including the one video that was muted due to copyright infringement. 
a-holes.  :roll:

PeteG

« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2013, 01:27 am »
I noticed on the video some of the electronics were changed out from when I heard the Whites.