too much bass trapping?

guf

too much bass trapping?
« on: 10 Oct 2013, 06:03 am »
I have my front 2 corners covered and my rear wall with 6 in bass traps, and the first reflection points. I dont think my room sounds dead but it's more dead than alive for sure.  Any new treatments were going to be diffusion or something. But there are some local tri traps available and we all know that shipping kills us on those.  I was thinking of getting them and finishing my rear corners behind my seating position. Could it put me over the edge and make it too dead?

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
Re: too much bass trapping?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2013, 07:31 am »
It's almost impossible to have too much bass trapping.  If your room sounds dead you're probably sucking out the high end or mid-range, not the bass.  What are you using now?  IIRC the Tri-Traps (if you mean from RealTraps) have a membrane on the front to reflect the highs.  Adding those should be fine.  But if your current traps don't have something like this you're likely overdamping the room.

guf

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2013, 06:17 pm »
All my stuff is from GIK. Tri traps, monster bass traps, 242's.  And I don't think it sounds dead just mentioning that it does not sound alive. My adjacent dining room/office and desktop system, with no treatments and hard wood floors sounds alive. My treated room does not sound this way. Maybe my concern is over dampening.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2013, 08:18 pm »
The real answer is to do some measurements at your listening position. The general comment is that you can't have too many bass traps.

You should listen first if you are hearing the bass properly. Large improvements can also be made by moving speakers and listening position.

To make a more alive sound you could allow reflection at the side walls, or use something like the 244s with the scatter plates.

I have in my 14' x 13' x 8' room 7 soffit traps, 2 monsters, 2 244s and 2 diffusers. Measurements (using REW) show that I could do more in the bass area if I wanted.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:00 pm »
Photos would be nice.  How large is the room?  How close to the rear wall are you sitting?

I went from years of believing I had to absorb everything to turning the corner and using diffusors at first reflections on the walls and ceiling and behind me. 

I firmly believe you should introduce some diffusion.  But let's see the room.

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:24 pm »
BRM, click gallery under his user name.

Guf, I do not think you have too much Traps. Maybe something to do with your equipment, your LP or your speaker position.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:55 pm »
Yeah, after I typed I looked for the gallery.

You want to diffuse/reflect in that doorway.  You're losing alot of higher frequency sound right into the kitchen.  You are still close to the rear wall and again try some diffusion there.

Which dac do you use?

We know it's not the speakers!

guf

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2013, 11:40 pm »
oh boy my pictures are so last year. I'll update them. My speakers are  6 feet from front wall, seating 6 from back wall, and 7 feet between between me and them.

MarvinTheMartian

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2013, 04:16 pm by MarvinTheMartian »

Alex Reynolds

• Industry Participant
  • Bringing Your Sound to Life
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2013, 06:44 pm »
So it seems like that we're trying to get a bit more bass trapping in, but trying to make sure we don't overdeaden the room. A couple of things to consider to help make the decision easier:
If traps are up higher in the room where there's less objects breaking up the sound, they will be VERY effective at dampening the high end (as well as the low end like usual). With traps lower in the room, a lot of sound is already being broken up / scattered / absorbed by objects in the room, so though the TriTraps absorb high frequencies, they aren't absorbing to their full capability. So if you get some additional TriTraps, just get them lower in the room - and with furniture like tables or even plants or something to reflect the high end in front of the traps will help keep the room sounding as live as possible. The bass trapping won't be affected really by a table or plant in the way, but the high end will.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:29 pm »
oh boy my pictures are so last year. I'll update them. My speakers are  6 feet from front wall, seating 6 from back wall, and 7 feet between between me and them.

I love that set up .so comfortable looking :thumb:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2013, 07:27 pm »
you could stuff the fireplace with Safe n Sound! The room really does look comfy! A great place for a beer and the newest H/D smooth jazz release. Nice veneer, BTW!  :thumb:

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2013, 01:24 am »
I don't see a picture of the rear of the room, would it be possible to use a large diffuser there?  This one addition has helped many rooms overcome the "dead" sound you describe.  It could be fabric covered to blend with your cozy environment, and would probably be the last thing you want to remove from the room, once you hear the difference it would make.