Ender's Game 11/1/13

Jon L

Ender's Game 11/1/13
« on: 6 Oct 2013, 05:29 pm »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Yup, it had to happen.  I sure hope Hollywood and Harrison Ford don't screw it up too much. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Ender's Game 11/1/13
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2013, 07:54 pm »
I have high hopes.

On a side note, I find it humorous that Harrison Ford is in the movie, and there's an actor by the (real) name of Han Soto co-starring him.  :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2013, 08:25 pm »
Planning on seeing this the first day it's out. Probably tied with Dune as my favorite books.

(I have a signed first edition hardback of Ender's Game   :green: - locked up in a safe)

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2013, 09:09 pm »
Planning on seeing this the first day it's out. Probably tied with Dune as my favorite books.

(I have a signed first edition hardback of Ender's Game   :green: - locked up in a safe)

I enjoyed the book when I was younger, but my favorite in the book series by Orson Scott Card was "Xenocide."  What a fabulous book and writing, with much more depth than Ender's.  I would like to see THAT book made into a movie by a good studio. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2013, 09:17 pm »
I enjoyed the book when I was younger, but my favorite in the book series by Orson Scott Card was "Xenocide."  What a fabulous book and writing, with much more depth than Ender's.  I would like to see THAT book made into a movie by a good studio.
Interesting - Xeno was my least favorite. Loved Speaker for the Dead though, and pretty much the whole Shadow series.

ss397

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2013, 01:47 pm »
The trailer looked promising, but they can be deceiving.

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:33 pm »
Oh, this movie is going to suck for anyone who has read the books. I just know it. Probably a reasonable hit though for people who don't read.

ss397

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2013, 07:13 pm »
I read all the time, but not that genre, so I hope to blissfully enjoy the movie. It might lead me to read the book.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2013, 06:46 am »
Well, just got back from seeing Ender's Game.  I had to do a little soul searching as to whether or not see it; personally I find Mr. Card's views and activism repugnant.  Future generations will probably not judge him kindly.  Still, the movie isn't just the fruits of on man's labors but a team effort.

Overall I liked the movie.  The story is shallow and simplistic but the acting was uniformly strong, albeit with not very well fleshed out characters aside from maybe Ender Wiggin himself.  I was especially impressed with the cadre of young actors!  Seriously, are they growing these kids in a test tube somewhere? :lol: :thumb:  Very strong performances from some pretty young kids.

The effects are well done throughout, although there's some special effects overload; this contributes to a finale that's exhausting and also disappointing.  Things are a bit rushed and the ending it to pat.  I didn't read the books so I have no idea if the film is faithful to them nor do I care.  Books are books and films are films.

I would give it a 'thumbs up' rating.  Not high art but an above average popcorn flick. Certainly a cut above your typical Michael Bay monstrosity! :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:08 pm »
My local paper gave it only 1.5 stars.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2013, 04:10 pm »
I had no idea that Orson Scott Card was such a terrible human being.  Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely be giving this (and anything else he's involved in) a miss.

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2013, 07:01 pm »
Perhaps Mr. Card is a fundamental Catholic.  It is nice to live at the end of history when all of our ethical prescriptions are so clear-cut and all encompassing.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2013, 08:06 pm »
I had no idea that Orson Scott Card was such a terrible human being.  Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely be giving this (and anything else he's involved in) a miss.

Well I can't say that I think his personal life will merit any influence on his work, as in I'll judge the movie based on the movie, I now like you Tyson find him to be a terribly offensive man. He really has no respect for things he cannot understand; and sadly doesn't even posture more than an angry toddler's maturity towards personal dispreferance. Surprised.

But I do love Sci-Fi....

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2013, 01:11 am »
Amazing the condemnation heaped on the author of this book for his personal viewpoint on an issue.   :shake:

I've never seen condemnation of an author expressing viewpoints on the other end of the spectrum.... (on this forum)

Anyway, saw a late morning matinee performance at the Ontario Mills IMAX. As a fan of this book, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the movie was able to catch so many of the major storylines (condensed of course) My wife (another fan of the book) and I went with another couple and we all thought it was a very good movie (not great) that made you think (if you are so inclined).

I'll definitely pick up the movie when it's released on Blu Ray.

:thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2013, 07:44 am »
Card has stated that he receives no royalties nor cut of the box office; he was paid a flat rate for the rights to the book for a film adaption.  So seeing this movie won't put a dime in his pocket, or so goes the story.  For the record, I don't heap scorn nor condemnation on Card for his views- I loath him for his actions.  It's one thing to be a bigot and a crank privately but he transcends that and uses his money and influence to actively work to make people's lives worse.  He's a legendary crank.  I will say no more here out of respect for the prohibition on the discussion of religion and politics.  Anyone interested in his notoriety can Google his name. :thumb:

Woodsea

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2013, 05:58 pm »
Just saw the movie last night.  I give it  :thumb:
They cut out the sibling story line all together, and added a character that was not in the book.  But, I can see length wise, why these were done.  Very well done to get the emotion across of Ender's turmoil.
Now on to Bean!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 8 Nov 2013, 06:16 pm »
Just saw the movie last night.  I give it  :thumb:
They cut out the sibling story line all together, and added a character that was not in the book.  But, I can see length wise, why these were done.  Very well done to get the emotion across of Ender's turmoil.
Now on to Bean!
Great books, but I can't see them ever translating to the screen.