Tang Band 1808 Open Baffle Build

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Tang Band 1808 Open Baffle Build
« Reply #20 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:00 pm »
There are very few driver characteristics that cannot be "measured" in some shape or form.

Sure... but the missing ones are important & cannot be dismissed if you are looking for something excellent as opposed to just something good.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 30 Oct 2013, 10:06 pm »
And so we live inside of problems where we feel safe and secure in what we think we know.

A good example of this is that until the development of complexity/chaos theory (still very much in the infant stage) the hard sciences tended to limit themselves to problems within the 5% that was doable with the existing mathematical tools.

dave

matevana

« Reply #22 on: 30 Oct 2013, 11:55 pm »

"However, my experience is limited and you may very well be right, that a well-done circuit used to 'tame' a drivers frequency anomalies (peaks and/or valleys) is entirely possible without affecting its sense of life."

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

Richard,

Can you describe the drivers and systems you have worked with in OB? I'm referring to those you have heard personally.

mcgsxr

« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm »
I used the b200 Visaton with Planet10 phase plugs.

I used it full range for a while.  I then added a Reckhorn active Xover and added a 12 helper woofer off a plate amp.

I did try it with a correction circuit (passive) on the b200 in addition to the Xover for the subs.

Did not like it.

But, in my case I was using a 5wpc SEP EL84 amp, so the reduction in efficiency robbed the drivers of what good the tubes could give them.

Run with another AC members amps (300w monoblocks as I recall) it was a different story.

But, in my room to my ears, the passive circuit did something else too.  It changed how the sound filled the room.

Run full range after the Xover, the sweet spot was the whole front of the room.  I could walk L or R all the way to the edge of the baffle (at the listening distance) and the image was still centered.

Add the passive circuit, and the soundstage was good in the chair (centered) but walking off axis the central image would follow me physically.

I stuck with the b200 full range after the active Xover, and was happy for years.

It was the decision to finish the basement (my long time unfinished listening room) that sent OB's packing for me.

I miss the dynamics and openess of those baffles with guitars, sax or voice, but could not live with the floor space requirements in the new space.

Later on, when the kids have left and perhaps I lose the pool table, I could then explore low WAF setups!

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2013, 01:34 pm »
I did try it with a correction circuit (passive) on the b200 in addition to the Xover for the subs.

What type of filter were you using on the B200 drivers?