How do I temporarily network two PCs?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:22 am »
I don't really want to create a permanent network, just move a bunch of files from one computer to another.  Physically they're only two feet apart.  I want to transfer a whole bunch of wav files from machine A to machine B.

I'd much prefer not to rerip them as EAC isn't really fast, plus I don't want to have to type in all the track info again (I know EAC can connect with an online database, and I do this on PC#1, but I don't wish to have PC#2 connected to the 'net).

vpolineni

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:27 am »
Rob, you can use a serial cable to connect both computers.. then go to the files and settings transfer wizard under system tools in the windows start bar.  Another solution would be to hook up your computer via usb 2.0 or firewire.

taketwo

Re: How do I temporarily network two PCs?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:40 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I don't really want to create a permanent network, just move a bunch of files from one computer to another.  Physically they're only two feet apart.  I want to transfer a whole bunch of wav files from machine A to machine B.

I'd much prefer not to rerip them as EAC isn't really fast, plus I don't want to have to type in all the track info again (I know EAC can connect with an online database, and I do this on PC#1, but I don't wish to have PC#2 connected to the 'net).

I'm assuming you have a network card on both PCs. Use a CAT5 cable of the length you want and make it into a cross cable. Usually these cables come in a straight configuration. Basically each cable will have 4 pairs of wire. Cross pins 1-2 on one end to pins 3-6 on the other end respectively. You would need new RJ45 heads and a crimper to do this job though. Alternatively you can buy this cross cable from any computer shop at any length you want.

A word of caution though. The first time you connect both computers with the cable it may take some time before they recognise each other. Assuming both PCs has TCPIP loaded, try pinging until there is a response.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:41 am »
Thanks.  At the risk of sounding stupid, I considered USB 2.0, but I've never seen one with the correct plug on both ends.  Is there such a thing?

vpolineni

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:45 am »
try www.a2zcables.com  they should have it.

taketwo

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:47 am »
Maybe you can get a USB thumbdrive. Those come in larger capacities I heard. Or if you have an ipod or know somebody who has one, you can temporarily use the storage space to transfer files from 1 PC to the other. You are not exactly networking but you get the job done.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:53 am »
Well, a thumbdrive would work but it would be pretty slow as it would take many "trips."  I have a small one right now (32 MB) and it's really handy.  But a truly big one would be expensive & still not large enough.  I had considered buying an extra HD & an external case- in fact, I'm almost sure I will one day do so, but not in the near future (too many purchases lately).

I wondered if simply connecting them with CAT5 cable would work; can I merely unplug from the 'net and connect the two PCs thru their 10/100 cards?  That would be very simple & elegant if it works that way.

When it comes to computers, I know just enough to be dangerous!  :o  :lol:   I can build one but I don't know squat about networking! :oops:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:01 am »
If they both have network cards, just buy a crossover cable.  If you don't have the connectors, cable, and crimper handy, just going out and buying a $7 will be the most economical method.  I hope you don't have XP or 2000 on any of them :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:06 am »
Why, does XP preclude doing this?  Both machines have XP.

taketwo

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:14 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I wondered if simply connecting them with CAT5 cable would work; can I merely unplug from the 'net and connect the two PCs thru their 10/100 cards? That would be very simple & elegant if it works that way.

Basically thats what I've suggested but you will need a cross cable! Unfortunately there is a bit more to that than just plugging it in. You still need to configure the network settings. Either use the NetBeui or TCPIP protocol and enable file and print sharing. Windows Help will tell you what you need to do.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:15 am »
This looks like the doodad I need.  It mentions Windows 98, 98SE & 2000, but not XP specifically.   Hmmm....

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:16 am »
Sorry- was in midpost before I saw your advice, Taketwo.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:21 am »
USB2 is blazing fast, but if that cable is usb 1 or if you only have usb1, you're in for a rude awakening :P  You'd be better off burning to cd ;)

Yeah, what taketwo said.  The thing with 2000 and xp is that you'll need to create an account on one of the computers and work out some sharing details, etc.  Windows help can help...or it can confuse :D  If you don't know how to set up tcp/ip, getting your two comps into the same subnet, maybe you know a computer guru in your local neighborhood who does?

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:22 am »
Rob,

If I remember you have a firewall for your internet connection. Many of these have a 4 or 8 port switch. If this is the case, just plug both machines into the switch and it will hand out an IP address to each machine.

With XP you will have to enable file sharing.  It's turned off by default. Some info on how to do this: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

If you really don't want the second machine to see the internet just unplug the firewall from the broadband modem.

If you don't have a firewall you can use a crossover cable as others have suggested. One thing to keep in mind is the if WinXP can't find a DHCP server (which it won't with an XO cable) it will assign a default address to the machine. I'm not sure if Windows is smart enough to assign both of them on the same subnet to where they will see each other but it should be.

HTH, mike

taketwo

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:30 am »
Quote from: mgalusha
Rob,

If I remember you have a firewall for your internet connection. Many of these have a 4 or 8 port switch. If this is the case, just plug both machines into the switch and it will hand out an IP address to each machine.

With XP you will have to enable file sharing.  It's turned off by default. Some info on how to do this: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

This would be the best solution. Nothing to configure on the TCPIP portion (which is very tough if you don't know what you are doing and has the potential to mess up a whole lot of things) and just need to enable file sharing.

If you still want to use the cross cable solution, I suggest installing another protocol IPX/SPX/NetBios. Nothing to configure unlike TCPIP. Then enable file sharing. HTH.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:34 am »
practicallynetworked is great.  Just for clarification, if you do do the hub/switch thing, you just need a regular cable, not a crossed one.

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2004, 04:19 am »
Pull the HD out of one computer, and temporarily hook it up in the other computer (Hook it up where your optical drive is). Transfer all of the files you want to, then put the HD back in the proper 'puter.

I've done so on many occasions. Works great.

Bonus being, no damn cables to buy/build. Probably faster anyway...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2004, 05:32 am »
Yeah, I did consider just swapping drives temporarily, and I still might, but capacity on the C drive of my machine #2 might be an issue.  

All in all, that's often the fastest method of moving a large amount of files; I just wondered if there's a lazy way. :wink:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2004, 06:25 pm »
If you have USB 2.0 on both computers, then there's a USB 2.0 transfer cable available.

It's basically 2 USb 2.0 ends with a block in the middle doing the transferring.  It comes with drivers.   It allows fast transfer this way.

Costs about $20-$30 depending on brand.

I use one for the same exact thing between lappy and desky.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2004, 08:19 pm »
This is very simple

If you are running XP in both machines & have network cards in both machines all you need is a "netwrork crossover cable". Cable cost is like $10

Turn both machines off. Connect cable to both network cards. turn both machines on and XP will automatically recognise the other machine.

Then you can move files around between both machines all you want.

I do this all the time between my laptop and home computer system.