Netflix Super HD!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Netflix Super HD!
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2013, 05:50 pm »
There are a lot of reviews on the site that echo what you said...it's been sitting there in my queue for a while now, but I just haven't been motivated to give it a go. I recently watched episode 1 of The Wire, since a lot of my friends have been encouraging me to turn to that to help with my Breaking Bad mourning period.

I don't see a lot of people talking about Hemlock Grove, so apparently it's not generating buzz in the same way House of Cards did. I think my roommate would be interested, so I'll check out the first episode when she gets around to watching probably.

Any thoughts on The Wire?

Hemlock grove is Twilight with more gore.  Ugh super bad.  And stupid.  And not stupid that is funny, it's navel gazing stupid. 

The Wire is great, but I didn't see it's genius till the 2nd season.  I figured it was just another "cop show", but when the writers expanded past the cops and criminals and started showing how City Hall, the schools, the docks, the prison system, and the press were all connected (and all culpable) for the shittiness of the whole ball of wax, it was freaking brilliant.  The thing I loved most about the show (besides the great characters) is how good people, with the best of intentions, end up being forced into doing bad things when the system is corrupt.  It's not a new theme, but I've never seen it so methodically and logically worked through.  Oh yeah, and great characters and good plots that don't insult your intelligence.

ajzepp

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2013, 12:52 am »
Curious why you say that. Apple TV only recently started supporting full HD wheras Roku has been supporting it for many years now.
Why do you feel Apple TV is superior to Roku for movies and TV?

I mainly replaced my Rokus with AppleTV because of air play and the ability to stream my entire music library. If not using it for that, Roku is probably even a better option than AppleTV since you get Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon rental services in addition to other channels. I wasn't meaning to say that AppleTV was a better product, just that it was a great option for the money...and I"m not sure if Netflix on Roku offers SuperHD, whereas I'm certain of it on AppleTV. But Roku is great...I've had two of them for several years and gotten hundreds of hours of use out of them.

Thanks for the feedback on The Wire and Hemlock Grove, everyone...much appreciated  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:53 pm »
The Wire is the greatest TV drama ever. E-v-e-r. Talking Shakespeare. The first 3 seasons constitute the most satisfying narrative experience I have ever had outside of literature. The kind of story that could only come from people (the producers/writers) who have a lifelong history with the subject at hand. I envy anyone who is getting to see the show for the first time.  :bawl:

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2013, 07:58 pm »
Yet another reason why Netflix is awesome. And yes this is real.:

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:48 am »
 :lol: :lol:

dreamreaper

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2013, 02:43 am »
WOW wushuliu, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Chazro

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:37 am »
I've seen two recent developments that, IMO, can be laid directly on Netflix's doorstep.  1st - Blockbusters shutting down at the end of the month.  2nd - In the past, Comcast's On Demand service was VERY limited.  For example; HBO would offer a smattering of their original programming like just a few episodes of one season of The Sopranos, and maybe a 1/2 dz. shows.  Recently, while scrolling thru their menu I was pleasantly surprised to see every season of just about EVERY show available!  Oz, Carnivale, The Wire, Deadwood, and so much more!  I say the competition from Netflix prompted this! :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2013, 02:36 am »
I've seen two recent developments that, IMO, can be laid directly on Netflix's doorstep.  1st - Blockbusters shutting down at the end of the month.  2nd - In the past, Comcast's On Demand service was VERY limited.  For example; HBO would offer a smattering of their original programming like just a few episodes of one season of The Sopranos, and maybe a 1/2 dz. shows.  Recently, while scrolling thru their menu I was pleasantly surprised to see every season of just about EVERY show available!  Oz, Carnivale, The Wire, Deadwood, and so much more!  I say the competition from Netflix prompted this! :thumb:

Now Netflix is securing a deal with Marvel for 4 original super heros series. I'd say the writing's on the wall for all competitors save new-release centric streamers like Vudu (movies) and Hulu (for TV). Then there will be satellite premium offerings like HBO, SHowtime, etc. and genre-specific 'channels' like on the Roku.

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:42 am »
Well, I just had an experience with Netflix Chat Customer Service...I was interested to give it a shot based on Wushuliu's fun exchange.

I was having an issue with subtitles when I came to watch a movie called "A Hijacking". Nothing was showing up and I didn't see anything on the play bar like there usually is. So I'm in chat with this personable young lady and things are somewhat jovial, though not quite to the same degree of playfulness as Wush's chat. I described the issue and awaited her response. In the chat she typed, "okay, we're gonna have to figure out a way to get these subtitles turned on!"  After a few minutes she asked, "were you typing a reply?" I said, "yes, I started typing a joke, but then decided it probably wasn't the best idea."  She replied, "oh, cool! I love a good joke! Fire away!"  So I thought about it for a sec and decided to go for it...I said, "well, I was just going to tell you that I already tried talking softly to them and gently caressing its buttons, but to no avail..." 

I probably dont' have to tell you guys what happened next...