Question of the day for speaker guru's. Parallel operation?

Danny Richie

Re: Question of the day for speaker guru's. Parallel operation?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:36 pm »
There could also be some cancellation in the horizontal plane depending on the center to center distances on those little mids.

undertow

« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:39 pm »
Why build this wall of sound then? Just flat out power handling? Not much more efficient than the first MTM with a bass driver in most speakers at 88 db.

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:43 pm »
Maybe they thought they could sell a bunch of them.

You are really limited to the output level of a single tweeter. So there is where your low sensitivity levels come from.

undertow

« Reply #23 on: 1 Oct 2013, 09:49 pm »
Bigger = Better = More Money! Marketing 101 right?  :P

I am struggling to figure out even in series - parallel how they are getting 10 midrange units to be any kind of a stable load in that speaker and even their new version uses 10 of them.

Even in 16 ohm drivers seems you end up well under 2 ohms.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct 2013, 10:31 pm »
Well you could always stack 16 eight ohm speakers per channel, four rows side by side of four speakers stacked.  Each stack of four run in series, and the four rows run in parallel, and that would keep you at a nice easy to drive eight ohm load.  How it would sound is another matter, but it would go LOUD!

I visited Wade Burns' home once years ago.  He was the chief electrical engineer for Dynaco at that time.  He was using a Dyna 416 amp with four A35 speakers in a series parallel stack on each side of his fish aquarium.  He played it blasting loud for me and the poor fish were terrorized!  :)  Not my cuppa tea.

Frank VA

By the way, going to 4 ohm speakers just to get more power does not work.  The four ohm speaker, all other things equal, takes twice as much current to drive as an identical 8 ohm speaker, and so the energy into the speaker remains the same, only the power amplifier runs hotter.  The amplifier has to work harder to put out the same V into half the R.