amplified Bluetooth Speakers

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
amplified Bluetooth Speakers
« on: 22 Sep 2013, 12:49 am »
Hey guys, I have a buddy who wants to hook up his phone via bluetooth to some amplified speakers that will not break his pocketbook.  Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

srb

Re: amplified Bluetooth Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2013, 01:08 am »
NuForce S3-BT - 3.5" 2-way (~ $235)

Kanto Yumi - 5" 2-way (~ $355)

Steve

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2013, 02:14 am »
Thank you for the suggestions!  I'll pass the info along to my buddy.  The Kanto Speakers look pretty cool! 

Thanks again,  Tom

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2013, 10:10 am »
Look for aptX (new BlueTooth version 4.0) products (like NuForce S3-BT) for better reception with less/no latency (signal delay for use with video applications).

Also recommend active over powered speakers.  Active uses one amplification channel per driver and crossovers before amplification which allows for more tweaking of crossover such as use of DSP (digital signal processing).  Actives provide better dynamics, flatter frequency response, and incredibly deep/full bass.  But beware that most actives are studio monitors that produce a dry/un-involving sound that reveals all the warts versus a more entertaining sound for enjoyment.  Don't know of any aptX/active monitors, but good examples of home use actives include Emotiva 4, Vanatoo Transparent One, and Adam A3X.

I scratched the Yumi off my list of prospective powered/active due to lack of info/professional reviews (plenty of known options and not interested in BT) but it looks promising.  BTW NuForce also offers an AirDAC that uses aptX.

chgolatin2

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2013, 05:47 pm »
Bluetooth speakers don't come close to wired speakers in regads to sound quality IMO, they are ok but honestly I don't consider them a worthwhile investment

Mr. Oczka

• Audiophile in training
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2013, 04:02 am »
"Bluetooth speakers don't come close to wired speakers in regads to sound quality IMO, they are ok but honestly I don't consider them a worthwhile investment"

I fully agree with your statement.  :thumb: :thumb:  My friend who asked about the bluetooth speakers does not have a main stereo system.  He uses his smartphone exclusively.  Actually, I think the phone is permanently attached to his body.  I had initially suggested powered speakers like the Emotiva Airmotiv connected via the stereo audio jack on his phone, but he is dead set on using the bluetooth feature.  You know....  the cool way!

I passed on all of the suggestions that you guys made.  I guess I'll let you know if he makes a purchase. 

Thanks again,

Tom

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2013, 11:09 am »
Tom,

The NuForce AirDAC is supposed to have Redbook sound quality and could be use to connect his smart phone to any powered/active speakers (that hopefully later on could be repurposed to a "higher/better" use).  But with Emotiva Pro 4 would cost over $500.

Even the NuForce S3-BT speakers are supposed to sound as good via BT as direct (and would be a cheaper/cleaner solution).  Current pricing on Amazon is $235/pair.