JVC RX-ES1sl

kfonda

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #60 on: 9 Aug 2004, 12:50 pm »
Quote from: JLM
Where are you guys finding this receiver for sale?

I can't seem to find it anywhere (but I'm really bad at searching the web).

D Mason, what's your opinion of matching it to my Fostex F200A based single driver mass loaded transmission line speakers (that I'll be picking up next week)?

thanks

Right here ( if your looking for the ES1SL ):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39786&item=3096389114

Double boxed and a VERY nice person to deal with ( I have NO affiliation with this person--just a good buying experience ).

cjr888

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #61 on: 9 Aug 2004, 03:15 pm »
If you're only really using for 2-Channel (but _with_ video sources), does anyone see any reason to purchase the F10 over the ES1SL?  I haven't compared the full specifications, but recall there's the digital EQ (though I haven't heard of anyone using it at this point and only valid for the digital inputs which it also appears so one is using out of preference..)

Thoughts?

TheChairGuy

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #62 on: 9 Aug 2004, 04:54 pm »
cjr888,

For strictly 2 channel, save your money and do the ES1sl....it seems no internal differences beetween the two except different (more) functions with the F10.

However, no one has compared the two side-by-side and JVC is mum on  a lot of the technology, to begin with.

Yep, and on this baby, digital thru-puts are inferior to a good transport and DAC (or one box) run thru the analog pathway.  I A vs. B'ed it again this weekend, and the difference were clearer.  However, there is a small amount of beauty and simplicity to the sound thru the digital ins, like less processing of the music.  Hard to accurately describe, but it was overall inferior to the use of transport/DAC run into the analog ins for me.

kendrid

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #63 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:54 am »
I just ordered the RX-F10 from J&R.  I'm not much of a regular poster on this site.  I've performed in-home auditions of the Sony 2000ES, 3000ES, AVD-50ES, Panny 45 and Cayin TA-30 (tube).  Of those the Sony 2000/3000 and Cayin were at the top of my list.  

I am hoping the JVC will 'better' the Sony's.  From some PM conversations I have had it sounds like it will.

The speakers it will be driving are Onix Ref 1s hooked up with Onix SP-200 cable.

I will post my thoughts with 0 hours and through the break-in process.  If it arrives before this weekend I will be running it non-stop (I will be out of town).

gary

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #64 on: 10 Aug 2004, 02:21 am »
Quote from: kendrid
I just ordered the RX-F10 from J&R.  I'm not much of a regular poster on this site.  I've performed in-home auditions of the Sony 2000ES, 3000ES, AVD-50ES, Panny 45 and Cayin TA-30 (tube).  Of those the Sony 2000/3000 and Cayin were at the top of my list.  

I am hoping the JVC will 'better' the Sony's.  From some PM conversations I have had it sounds like it will.

The speakers it will be driving are Onix Ref 1s hooked up with Onix SP-200 cable.

I will post my thoughts with 0 hours and through the b ...

Can't wait to see what you think of the JVC, especially since we both have such similar systems and we've both tried the Cayin TA-30 (although yours was modded and mine was stock). I think we both even have the PT P1-A & P3-A.

Gary

cjr888

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #65 on: 10 Aug 2004, 02:31 am »
So who is going to try the 30w JVC w/integrated player and....wood cone speakers?

http://www.jvc-asia.com/sg/exa1/features/index.html

kendrid

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #66 on: 10 Aug 2004, 02:37 am »
Quote from: gary
Can't wait to see what you think of the JVC, especially since we both have such similar systems and we've both tried the Cayin TA-30 (although yours was modded and mine was stock). I think we both even have the PT P1-A & P3-A.

Gary

I do not have the PTech gear but I have easy access to it.  Hectic1 has it and he also has SOCS for the Ref 1s.  SOCS into the JVC might be a dream system.

TheChairGuy

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #67 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:32 am »
Quote from: cjr888
So who is going to try the 30w JVC w/integrated player and....wood cone speakers?

Why didn't they just use the dried squid cone concept....if you don't like the sound you can either take it back for a full refund or.... eat it for lunch.  :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #68 on: 10 Aug 2004, 10:17 am »
Thanks for the leads guys.

gary

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #69 on: 10 Aug 2004, 12:58 pm »
Quote from: cjr888

This thing looks very interesting. I'd love to hear it, but unfortunately I don't think there are any stores that actually put it on the shelf. In the states I think JVC is kind of stuck between consumer audio, who would find this system too expensive to bother with, and high-end audio, where the stores don't typically sell JVC equipment. I'd assume this is selling pretty well in Japan, but I'm afraid it's not going to take off here. Anyway, I hope it does, because from what I've been able to find online it looks like a great product:

http://202.186.86.35/audio/story.asp?file=/2004/7/15/audiofile/15jvc&sec=audiofile

Gary

vpolineni

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #70 on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:15 pm »
a quick froogle search showed a bunch of stores selling this here.. the cheapest being this:
http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id=106760

more established stores (like good guys) sell it for 499.... so this particular deal may be a marketing ploy.

ooheadsoo

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #71 on: 12 Aug 2004, 05:44 am »
My rx-es1sl arrives next monday.  I can't wait to hear it.  If it's really good, I may be able to sell some things off and that makes me doubly excited!

tubeytubeamp

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #72 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:04 pm »
Chairguy,

Is their a fan inside the JVC? I picked up one from Costco, I hooked it up and it vibrates at times. There is no mention of a fan that I can find in the manual. I'm afraid that the vibrations may be affecting the sound of the unit.

Thanks for your help.
Dennis

TheChairGuy

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #73 on: 20 Aug 2004, 12:52 pm »
tubeytubeamp,

Yes, there is a fan inside the ES1sl.

I don't remember it EVER coming on with mine, at any volume (up to '29' I've played, on 90db efficient Vandersteen's).  One, or two, others have mentioned the same instance as you have.  You may want to look at the post on JVC RX-F10....I don't remember who posted the problem there.

I think that the other person that had problems also bought them from Costco.  Most of us bought them from other sources (mine from ebay/Samman's Electronics).  Could be the container or ten that went to Costco had problems....it can happen that way; especially if Costco was among the first retailers for it.  I paid $179...so I'd think you'd even save $20 if you returned yours to Costco.

I don't know if there is a bad batch of JVC's out there, or if it has something more to do with electrical/mains problems in your digs.  However, I have run mine thru a power conditioner and direct to wall, and have not heard any fan cut in.

Food for thought.  Keep working on the problem until you find solution; it's worth it.  This receiver is really good......

tubeytubeamp

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #74 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:06 pm »
Thanks for you quick reply,

I just find it odd that the fan comes on and the receiver vibrates as soon as the unit is turned on. I also becomes very hot.

Sound quality wise, it is very good regardless of the vibrations. Similiar to a good tube amp in terms of midrange palpability.

I have them hooked up to a pair of JMLab Chorus 706s.

Thanks
Dennis

gary

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #75 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:36 pm »
The fan in my RX-F10S comes on once in a while, and it's fairly loud when it does. The only mod I've done to the unit so far is replacing the flimsy stock power cord, next up will be bypassing the spring clips and soldering my speaker cables directly and dealing with the fan. I'm not sure what I'll do to the fan, I'll at least damp the inside of the chasis and see what I can do to improve airflow (less turbulence = less sound). I may try to replace the stock fan with a quieter one, if I do that I'll be sure to post my results.

Gary

bobz

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #76 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:42 pm »
Tubeytubeamp,

I was the poster regarding fan noise on the ES1sl, and, yes, the vibration starts as soon as you turn the unit on--and it stays on all the time.  I thought the noise was the same under all listening conditions but for some reason it seemed louder and more intrusive last night.  Two others that I tried from the same Costco (the other Costcos in San Diego don't carry the unit) also had the problem.  My third unit will be going back today and I will probably get an RX-F10--the sample one I saw at Fry's Electronics did not appear to have this problem.  

ChairGuy is right, though, about the sonics on the unit being so good.  If you can live with the problem or work with it somehow, it may be worth your while.

tubeytubeamp

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #77 on: 20 Aug 2004, 01:55 pm »
What is Costco's return policy? I know that they are pretty liberal about returns.

For me, its not the fan noise thats the issue, but the possible sonic degradation that it may be causing.

All things considered, I am still very impressed with the unit.

Chairguy,

Sammans is about 1 hour from me here in NJ I'll give them a call to see if they have any more in stock. You said you paid $179.

I failed to mention that the JVC is powered by a Monster Line conditioner.

Thanks
Dennis

RoadTripper

Fan
« Reply #78 on: 20 Aug 2004, 03:02 pm »
I have the ES1SL and the fan comes on the instant I turn on the receiver. Always.

I don't care, however.

TheChairGuy

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #79 on: 20 Aug 2004, 04:01 pm »
Quote from: tubeytubeamp
What is Costco's return policy? I know that they are pretty liberal about returns.

For me, its not the fan noise thats the issue, but the possible sonic degradation that it may be causing.

All things considered, I am still very impressed with the unit.

Chairguy,

Sammans is about 1 hour from me here in NJ I'll give them a call to see if they have any more in stock. You said you paid $179.

I failed to mention that the JVC is powered by a Monster Line conditioner.

Thanks
Dennis

Dennis/TTA,

I think, like most mass retailers, Costco's return policy is quite liberal.  

Samman's handled things great for me and I know they have been around for a long time....20 years or more, tho I don't know if it's the same ownership.  Joe handled me; I think Sam is the owner.

Yep, they are up in Wayne, NJ; I think you'll save the $18 standard shipping they charge, but you deal with NJ's, what, 6.0% sales tax?  

Hey get it before Governor Mcgay-reevey hits you up for another half point on his way out November 15..... :lol:  Please excuse my humor, I've taken too much crap for having Ahh-nold as our Gov...Minnesotans, stay outta' this one :wink: