JVC RX-ES1sl

Kevad

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #400 on: 23 Nov 2004, 03:45 am »
Thanks for the offer!  Check your PMs.

My F10 is running fantastic as well after about 350 hours of burn-in so far.  The high end is noticeably less harsh than originally out of the box, and it drives my Dynaudios without any problems, so I'm quite happy.  (Don't think the ES1sl would be able to, but that's why it will be going down on the 2nd rate system :))

-Dave

-Richard-

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #401 on: 23 Nov 2004, 08:21 am »
Hi TheChairGuy,

I am finally on line again...

I landed in Ojai 4 days ago and I am almost
unpacked...boxes...boxes...boxes...

I sold my Carver ZR 1600 just before I left
southern New Mexico and my Maggie 1.6
QR's today on Audiogon...

I noticed you purchased an F10 recently and
have almost burned it in...

You mentioned: '...I have the F10 now driving
my Maggies (splendidly, I might add)...'

That sounds like the synergy problems you were
having with your ES1sl and your pair of Maggies
has been resolved with the F10 driving them.

If so I celebrate your new relationship with your
Maggies...Bravo!!!!

In truth...I hated to sell the Maggie 1.6 QR's...
with the F10 driving them they sounded
better than the $9000 Quads I heard in
NYC recently...this is no exaggeration!!!

The match of the JVC F10 and the Maggies
is rather incredible...

Alas...even though I do now live in a double
wide mobile, the living room is too modest in
size to accommodate the 1.6 QR's...they need
more space...even visually...

However I was rather surprised to find that
my Ruark Crusader 2's sound infinitely more
intimate in this admittedly more intimate space...
it is as if the F10 "understands" the new space
and has accommodated itself to sound in perfect
synergy with it...not only overcoming what might
be perceived as apparent limitations...but actually
shifting some paradigm of some unseen dimension
in order to allow the music to live its life in perfect
harmony with the space...

Yes...yes...I am sounding ever more delusional...
except even Deborah...as level-headed a lady
as your likely to meet...sober in all things and
rational in temperament...hears exactly the same
thing...incredible intimacy and a new lush
inner space of the music...

Of course this can all be explained if I take the
time to get out the various tools we use to measure
this and that and find physical and mathematical
laws that explain in linear terms what is going on...

But I do think certain electrical equipment have a
life of their own...however scarry that idea may be...
and may actually be "conscious" in ways that we are
barely aware of right now...perhaps they even
influence us...penetrate our minds with their “hidden”
agendas...dream themselves more incessantly
into our lives as our resistance wavers...
whisper their needs through the unseen as yet
morphogenetic dimensions...

Really enjoying the music.

And so glad you are also, TheChairGuy...

Do keep us informed of your unfolding experiences
with your new F10 and your search for your next
love affair with speakers.

Always with warm regards -Richard-

TheChairGuy

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #402 on: 23 Nov 2004, 12:04 pm »
Dave/Kevad,
Reply PM in your box.

My F10 is only at 230 hours and it took me a little longer to love it than the ES1sl on the Vandy's.  I think Maggie is more picky in her suitors and it is more ruthlessly revealing it's break-in weakness'.  However yesterday, for the first time, I had (what -Richard- might call) and ethereal experience.  Truly, stunning stuff...perhaps my most entertaining hour of music in my home ever.  The next 70 hours is anxiously awaited.

-Richard-,
Welcome back fella'!

Even tho I read and re-read your posts on your listening experience with the F10 / 1.6QR combo, given my recent synergy issue with the ES1sl...I was still a bit skeptical.

No skepticism now remains with the little JVC F10.  Truly, winning stuff...and I'm not too surprised that it drives your trusty Ruark's to new levels.  I've never owned a better amp or preamp (I have owned a better tuner, for sure), and tho this may not be saying a whole lot given what I've owned, it's still remarkable as everything else was 7-10x more list.

I'm still floored by the new math that the JVC's add up to.

John / TCG

tubeytubeamp

JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #403 on: 7 Dec 2004, 03:36 am »
Dmason,

I finally splurged on the on the Phase Tech PC1.1II that I have been lusting after and they are a very good match with the JVC. The Phase Techs are by far the best speaker I have ever owned. They are neutral, smooth, and extremely detailed. They sound great at high and low volumes. Their laid back presentation is a great match like Chairguy's Vandersteens. They are on a completely different level than the JM Lab 706s that they replaced.

The PC 1.1II's are a no nonsense speaker. What I mean by that is they  present the music without getting in the way by coloring certain parts of the frequency spectrum.

Dennis

mmarchant

Crackling RX-ES1
« Reply #404 on: 11 May 2006, 11:09 am »
I've had a RX-ES1 for about two and half years. Initially I wasn't running the 5.1 some time after purchasing the unit. I connected a couple of small speakers to the rear and started trying out the 5.1. It worked fine after a while and then the RX-ES1 developed crackling sounds as soon as you turn it on. Whether in Stereo or Digital "All Channel" it crackles. It's driving me MAD!. I decided to disconnect it and take it down to a JVC repairer. He couldn't find a thing and went on to say that maybe my speaker cones could be of low quality, (which they may as well be since I bought a 5.1 set off eBay for $150 AU), but it was interesting that after I brough the unit back from repairs, nothing happened, and then WHAM! IT started again. I said "CRAP!! javascript:emoticon(':x')What the heck is going on?". I'm totally at a loss to work out what it is. I'm thinking of buying some expensive speakers but before I do, would anybody have any idea what's wrong with the unit? The speakers are some China brand and 8 Ohms with a supposed capacity to accept upt o 100 watts.  javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Mar-Man

Re: Crackling RX-ES1
« Reply #405 on: 28 Mar 2007, 12:20 pm »
I've had a RX-ES1 for about two and half years. Initially I wasn't running the 5.1 some time after purchasing the unit. I connected a couple of small speakers to the rear and started trying out the 5.1. It worked fine after a while and then the RX-ES1 developed crackling sounds as soon as you turn it on...

Hi there, is this topic still active??
I do own the same system (got it for few years now already) and am very satisfied with it!
But I have the exactly same problem as you do. Only diff. is that I am using the default JVC speakers that came with it (small satellites).
I am using digital inputs as well as analog. From my experience once the crackling sound starts, if I switch through the diff. surround options (e.g. crackling starts when I'm in "all channels stereo" and switch to "stereo" and then to "play movie" and so on...) the crackling sound eventually goes away on one of these other surround setting.
Also sometimes if I switch the sources (e.g. crackling starts when I'm in "TV" and switch to "DBS" then "DVD" and then "FM/AM" and then back to TV) the sound goes away as well.

But it does start again irregularly!

I do have the crackling sound in both analog and digital input...

have you managed to solve the problem?

Would be glad for any input.

-M-

mmarchant

« Reply #406 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:20 am »
I've had a RX-ES1 for about two and half years. Initially I wasn't running the 5.1 some time after purchasing the unit. I connected a couple of small speakers to the rear and started trying out the 5.1. It worked fine after a while and then the RX-ES1 developed crackling sounds as soon as you turn it on...

Hi there, is this topic still active??
I do own the same system (got it for few years now already) and am very satisfied with it!
But I have the exactly same problem as you do. Only diff. is that I am using the default JVC speakers that came with it (small satellites).
I am using digital inputs as well as analog. From my experience once the crackling sound starts, if I switch through the diff. surround options (e.g. crackling starts when I'm in "all channels stereo" and switch to "stereo" and then to "play movie" and so on...) the crackling sound eventually goes away on one of these other surround setting.
Also sometimes if I switch the sources (e.g. crackling starts when I'm in "TV" and switch to "DBS" then "DVD" and then "FM/AM" and then back to TV) the sound goes away as well.

But it does start again irregularly!

I do have the crackling sound in both analog and digital input...

have you managed to solve the problem?

Would be glad for any input.

-M-

I've resorted to hitting the thing. I get so annoyed, but it eventually stops. It seems like it needs to warm up. I haven't found a solution yet. I keep thinking it may be my house wiring....I don't know.

Mar-Man

« Reply #407 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:02 am »

I've resorted to hitting the thing. I get so annoyed, but it eventually stops. It seems like it needs to warm up. I haven't found a solution yet. I keep thinking it may be my house wiring....I don't know.
[/quote]

Hi, not sure if you still checking here but i think I have found a solution - at least it works for me.

By accident I found out that my unit was sizzling hot - you could virtually fry bacon on it! This was because I had my DVD player on top of the air intake. I just switched the positions of dvd player and jvc and now the air intake is free. The unit now is cooler - still quite hot- BUT the crackling has nearly gone. For the last 3 days I have heard nearly no noise at all. Whereas normally it would crackle about 50-60% of the time it now has gone to 5%!!!
So i am quite happy and suppose this problem (at least mine) is heat related.

Lemme know if this works for you as well.

best regards -M-

mmarchant

Re: JVC RX-ES1sl
« Reply #408 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:14 am »
Thanks for the reply Mar-Man.

No, the problem is still there and yes, when I took the unit for service, the guy told me to keep the air vents well clear, so now the unit sits on top of the cabinet. It will crackle until the unit has been running for a few minutes (at least 20). I still wonder if it it could be an earthing problem. I'll keep searching. I'm thinking of swapping the unit for a more sturdy one, but I still like it because it's not so bulky like other amps. Maybe this is the problem overall, heat dissipation. It's just interesting that it stops once the unit has been running for a while.

Mar-Man

« Reply #409 on: 17 Jun 2007, 11:43 am »
Hmmm, very weird.
Especially since I have searched the whole I-Net (i suppose you as well) and this is the only thread where I found someone with the same problem...
Also your "crackling-symptoms-solution" are a lil different than mine...but ok...

If you ever find a fix for that make sure to post it here :)

Anyways, have a nice sunday...

-M-

oesterbye

« Reply #410 on: 25 Oct 2007, 07:20 pm »
Same problem here - using JVC sattelites - crackling sound in all speakers for the first 15-30 min. My solution was to open the lid and blow the inside clean using canned air (spray) - now after one hour I havent heard any crackling sounds :o)

It was especially behind the volume control I found dust connecting the "soldings".

- Ø -