• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
Re: NSMT modified Lepai T-amp anybody?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2013, 04:42 pm »
Here's a review that just came out a couple of days ago on the amp with the new upgraded power supply-

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue69/lepai.htm

apollophono

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:22 am »
Sorry for the responding so late.  Yes that is what I'm talking about. 
I'm curious how good that little cheap amp is.  Any experience?

RCduck7

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2013, 06:31 pm »
The Lepai uses the 2024 IIRC, the IIRC 2021 based amps supposed to be better and warmer sounding.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:38 am »
Class D Audio's Mini amplifier is probably bounds beyond the Lepai, modded.

I have one without the volume. It's running off a laptop power supply from Goodwill. It still does numerous things better than my 3875 chip amp that had premium components in it. The 3875 was as described, more forward. I'm hoping an improved power supply will bring the Class D Audio up to snuff, and beyond (when I get around to it, got special plans).

I highly recommend it, in that price range. You won't be sorry. Just make sure to judge it till it burns in. The life comes about around 20hrs, and maybe it gets better (only had mine a few days).

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2013, 10:47 am »
The Lepai uses the 2024 IIRC, the IIRC 2021 based amps supposed to be better and warmer sounding.

It uses the TA2020 chip in a through-hole package attached to a decent finned heat sink.  I have a couple of these and they're pretty easy to tweak, especially if you abandon the stock case for a roomier home.  The tone controls are a big plus in this level of amp IMO.  Replacing the surface-mount input capacitor with something better takes some forethought, but otherwise, part upgrades are pretty simple.  Knowing where to stop is the most daunting challenge (is my turd shiny enough?).  :lol:

The TA2020 isn't quite as magical as the TA2024, but the tone controls make it palatable in more applications.  And the TA2020 has a little more power... a good thing.  :D

RCduck7

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:38 pm »
It uses the TA2020 chip in a through-hole package attached to a decent finned heat sink.  I have a couple of these and they're pretty easy to tweak, especially if you abandon the stock case for a roomier home.  The tone controls are a big plus in this level of amp IMO.  Replacing the surface-mount input capacitor with something better takes some forethought, but otherwise, part upgrades are pretty simple.  Knowing where to stop is the most daunting challenge (is my turd shiny enough?).  :lol:

The TA2020 isn't quite as magical as the TA2024, but the tone controls make it palatable in more applications.  And the TA2020 has a little more power... a good thing.  :D

Sorry, i was wrong informed. The Lepai does use the TA2020. So you found the TA2024 better then either the 2020 or 2021? In what regard?

ohenry

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2013, 06:16 pm »
Sorry, i was wrong informed. The Lepai does use the TA2020. So you found the TA2024 better then either the 2020 or 2021? In what regard?

In another time, place and implementation, the stock TA2024 amps seemed a little smoother on the mids and highs when used with HE full range driver speakers.  In less revealing situations (e.g., 2-way speakers), I'd be challenged to detect a difference. 

When modifications are made where power supplies, caps and inductors are upgraded, it's hard for me to state one is clearly better than another.  The TA2020 and 2021b have a slight power advantage and afford a little more flexibility in choosing speakers.  In the end, they are small t-amps and share the characteristic great bass and suspect highs (IMO).  Again, I find the Lepai tone controls to be helpful with taming the highs.  Air core inductors seem to help the highs as well, but can cost more than the stock amp.  :scratch:

They are impressive for very low prices and should be celebrated for what they are... highly efficient and enjoyable little music makers.  The wooden boxes NSMT employs are undeniably cool and makes me want one.  8)

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2013, 02:01 am »
Looks like this has all the answers.

But it might be a waste of time with the Class D Audio unit around. I'm not even concluding that modding it has much value. But maybe, still listening, and haven't tried a more powerful supply yet (particularly linear).

Update: Putting a 4.5a as opposed to 2a power supply behind the Class D Audio mini made a nice difference. Things are not overly laid back anymore.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2013, 02:25 am by Salis Audio »