Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)

jonbee

Re: Let's watch some pro football (2013-14)
« Reply #300 on: 3 Feb 2014, 05:46 pm »
Watching Seattle all year we knew the defense would show up, but the offense needed something to add an extra dimension to Marshawn Lynch and Wilson to really go over the top. With the Broncs stacking up on Lynch, that something showed up in Percy Harvin, a big $ investment that sat out nearly the whole season. His early performance really shocked and opened up the Bronco defense and allowed lots of good things to happen. And his kickoff return to start the 2nd half essentially ended the game early.
People here in Seattle went nuts. It was like watching a lightning storm, with the Broncos on the receiving end.
Whatever else may be true about the Hawks, no one would have beaten them last night as they kept drawing aces.

roscoeiii

« Reply #301 on: 3 Feb 2014, 05:58 pm »
Though, let's be sure not to overlook some real lapses by Denver's D too. Seattle players gained some important yards well after a Broncos tackler or two should have wrapped them up.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #302 on: 3 Feb 2014, 06:05 pm »

Denver,  had that look, "like a deer in your head lights".  I'll never forget the look on Mannings face, on that first snap, when the ball went whizzing past his right shoulder.  Priceless..

TomS

« Reply #303 on: 3 Feb 2014, 06:09 pm »
I don't think about it as drawing aces. They worked very hard to get there and performed exceptionally in every phase without making critical mistakes. They really improved throughout the season as well. This team that dominated the Saints and now Denver isn't the same one that I watched the Colts defeat at Lucas Oil. I remember back then, seeing RW in person made it obvious how special he is both mentally and physically, but this was as impressive a team performance as I've seen in many years. Congrats to Seattle!

jonbee

« Reply #304 on: 3 Feb 2014, 06:16 pm »
I don't think about it as drawing aces. They worked very hard to get there and performed exceptionally in every phase without making critical mistakes.
Yes, and luck favors the prepared.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #305 on: 3 Feb 2014, 06:43 pm »
Renee Fleming and Burno Mars (and maybe a couple of the ads) were the highlights of the game.
Renee Fleming was awesome. Bruno Marrs sucked. Overproduced schlock pop. Red Hot Chile Peppers were a joke. Middle aged white men, shirtless making fools of themselves. I agree some of the ads were great especially the bit about puppy and the Clydesdales. Madison Ave. at it's best.

jackman

« Reply #306 on: 3 Feb 2014, 08:00 pm »
Renee Fleming was awesome. Bruno Marrs sucked. Overproduced schlock pop. Red Hot Chile Peppers were a joke. Middle aged white men, shirtless making fools of themselves. I agree some of the ads were great especially the bit about puppy and the Clydesdales. Madison Ave. at it's best.

Maybe my expectations of Bruno Marrs were so low, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance.  At least he can play instruments and is a good performer.  If this is the best modern day music industry can provide, I agree, it's pretty pathetic.  You can't compare this guy to the bands I grew up listening to in the 70's and 80's, but at least he's not Beiber or Miley Cyrus.  Also, I'm not an objective judge of the RHCP because I'm a big fan (or at least I was when they were in their prime).  Those guys are amazing musicians and Chad Smith is still the best drummer in Rock, IMO.  I'm disappointed John Fruscante is no longer with the band but it didn't matter yesterday because it didn't look like their instruments were really plugged in. 

Also, I'm just happy they didn't trot out washed up crap like Bon Jovi.  Those guys make me want to throw up... :o

Cheers,

Jack

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #307 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:29 am »
Though, let's be sure not to overlook some real lapses by Denver's D too. Seattle players gained some important yards well after a Broncos tackler or two should have wrapped them up.

That sounds like Jon Gruden.  :lol:

"That would have been one hell of a great pass if it hadn't been an interception!"  :duh:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #308 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:35 am »
I looked forward to this game. As former AFC West foes, who played many great games against each other, Number 1 vs Number 1 had potential.

Seattle dominated every part of the game. They surprised me, and many others. Awesome performance on the biggest stage in or of the game.
Congrats 'Hawks!!!  :beer:

Freo-1

« Reply #309 on: 4 Feb 2014, 02:44 am »
Denver just did not look prepared to play. There was a "deer in the headlights" look to their performance.  That was surprising to me.  I did expect Seattle to win, but not to dominate.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #310 on: 4 Mar 2014, 09:52 pm »
One of the panelists on ESPN's First Take this morning suggested that Jerry Jones give Houston Tony Romo straight up for their first round draft pick.  Ummm, think Johnny Football would be a good match for Dallas?  I bet the kid, a native Texan, would love to be a Cowboy.  Bet he's dreamt of it his whole life.  Dunno what Houston would think about their end, tho.  Dunno what they're thinking at all.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #311 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:07 pm »
Apropo of nothing really………I'm so glad Mike Shanahan, head coach of the Redskins, was fired.  Don't really know much about Jay Gruden, his replacement, but he can't do much worse.  Redskins ability to tear defeat from the jaws of victory (and vice versa) must make skin's fans the most stressed in NFL.  Nonetheless, I miss having football to watch…..it's gonna be a long 6+ months…….

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #312 on: 4 Mar 2014, 10:08 pm »
One of the panelists on ESPN's First Take this morning suggested that Jerry Jones give Houston Tony Romo straight up for their first round draft pick.  Ummm, think Johnny Football would be a good match for Dallas?  I bet the kid, a native Texan, would love to be a Cowboy.  Bet he's dreamt of it his whole life.  Dunno what Houston would think about their end, tho.  Dunno what they're thinking at all.
If the panelist would do his homework instead of throwing out stuff for ratings, he'd realize that this isn't even a remote option ( he may know it and said it anyway).  Dallas would still be on the hook for a huge cap hit,  Houston would have to agree to most of the contract, and with Romo coming off his second back surgery in two years, I can't imagine that anyone would be interested.  Too much expense, too much risk for Houston.  Too much dead money for Dallas.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #313 on: 30 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm »
I'm for Romo staying put and Dallas with an 8-8 season again.  Coach Jason Garrett's contract is up soon, I think.  Jerry gonna admit he was wrong and get someone else? 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #314 on: 30 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm »
I'm for Romo staying put and Dallas with an 8-8 season again.  Coach Jason Garrett's contract is up soon, I think.  Jerry gonna admit he was wrong and get someone else?
Dallas is doomed until the owner grows a pair and fires the GM.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #315 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:01 pm »
Jarcher, Jay Gruden has lots of class.He coached the Oakland Raiders when they lost to the Pats in the snow with the infamous(Brady Tuck) rule. He never complained. The next year he got his Super Bowl ring with the Tampa Bucs. I'm an old Pats fan too. Wish he was the Pats coach...Mark.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #316 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm »
Got your Grudens mixed up, Mark. Jon was the Raider and Bucs coach.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #317 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:10 pm »
Dallas is doomed until the owner grows a pair and fires the GM.
That would mean Jerry would have to replace himself and admit failure, something he probably never has had to do in his life.  Then Romo could be outta there or warming the bench.  Is there another team that would pay Romo what he's getting?  Don't think so.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #318 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:19 am »
Hi Macrojack, I'm sorry, thanks for the correction. I didn't know. When I was in the 8th grade I could name every pro lineman offensive and defensive for every team. I'm 57 now and know about 3 players names in the line. Here's a question...why did the Patriots resign Vince Wilfork for 3 years. He's way overweight, has been there for 8 years,an Achilles torn,(that's the end of anyone's career), and needs to address a family history of being over weight and facing Diabetes.....that's my question...sorry about not knowing the Gruden thing...Mark K.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #319 on: 31 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm »
Mark, Don't feel bad - I don't know the Wilfork thing.

If a guess helps you, my guess is that Vince seemed invincible until this past season and he has been one of the most disruptive interior lineman in the league during those 8 years. Apparently, NE thinks he can return to form if your info is correct.

I read somewhere that he had cleaned out his locker and was not planning to return.