Is it a filing cabinet or a bass trap?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« on: 27 Jul 2004, 04:53 pm »
In the front-left corner of my listening room is a standard four-drawer metal filing cabinet.  It's probably 3/4 full of paper documents.  I can easily pull the cabinet up to six inches out from the corner.  If I were to pull the cabinet out and attach 3 to 4 inch thick rigid fiberglas to the back and side facing the corner, would this give me any significant bass absorption?  Would I need to seal the air space between the fiberglas and the corner?  

I could use a few dB of attenuation at about 125 Hz and 67Hz.  The room dimensions are 20x16x8 and I have the speakers set up along the 20 foot wall.  I’m guessing the filing cabinet dimensions are about 5x1.5x2.5.  Any suggestions or comments?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2004, 06:00 pm »
If you want to make a bass trap in that corner, dont try to use your metal filing cabinet.

Just pull that thing out from the corner so you can make a trap there with some rigid fiberglass panels (owens-corning 703 seems to be pretty much the norm on the AC).  Place them across the corner so there is a space behind them (like a triangle shape of air behind the panel).

Bass is absorbed when it first hits the panel.  Then it will hit the corner and bounce right back at the room but it will pass through the corner trap once more.  This should give you some very good absorbtion for bass.

You don't really need to seal it unless you are worried about looks.  I would just get a coupel panels and pop them into corners quickly to see how it sounds.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Is it a filing cabinet or a bass trap?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2004, 03:44 pm »
Russ,

RT gave you the right answer. I'll also add that you need more than one bass trap in one corner. At the minimum you want to treat all four wall-wall corners, and you'll get even better results if you treat some or all of the corners at the tops of the walls here they meet the ceiling.

--Ethan