The BDA2 wpn't turn on

R. Daneel

The BDA2 wpn't turn on
« on: 1 Sep 2013, 09:21 am »
Hello!

I decided to start this thread to described what has been happening with my BDA2, or what I think has been happening with it.

To put it simply, it won't come on from the standby mode. This is the third time it has happebed in the last two days and I only purchased in two weeks ago. So far I have noticed this:

- if it is left unplugged for several hours and then plugged in, it won't turn on after I press the power button;
- after it has been in standby for several hours, it won't turn on after pressing the power button either

I think the input was set to USB when it happened.

However, after some wait and pressing the power button several times in succession, it does come on and works properly after that. When you turn it off after that and press the power button again, it comes on within one second as it should.

It is like after a long period of inactivity (either being unplugged on or in standby) it "falls asleep" and you have to press the power button several times to turn it on.

Does anybody have any clues as to why this might be or has anyone experienced something similar?

Mr. Tanner tells me there might be a problem with the power switch but I sincerely doubt that as it works properly once you've managed to turn it on after the problem occurs. If there was something wrong with the switch, it would alsways do that.

This is unexpected and frankly, it is disappointing.

Thank you!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: The BDA2 wpn't turn on
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:05 am »
Hello!

I decided to start this thread to described what has been happening with my BDA2, or what I think has been happening with it.

To put it simply, it won't come on from the standby mode. This is the third time it has happebed in the last two days and I only purchased in two weeks ago. So far I have noticed this:

- if it is left unplugged for several hours and then plugged in, it won't turn on after I press the power button;
- after it has been in standby for several hours, it won't turn on after pressing the power button either

I think the input was set to USB when it happened.

However, after some wait and pressing the power button several times in succession, it does come on and works properly after that. When you turn it off after that and press the power button again, it comes on within one second as it should.

It is like after a long period of inactivity (either being unplugged on or in standby) it "falls asleep" and you have to press the power button several times to turn it on.

Does anybody have any clues as to why this might be or has anyone experienced something similar?

Mr. Tanner tells me there might be a problem with the power switch but I sincerely doubt that as it works properly once you've managed to turn it on after the problem occurs. If there was something wrong with the switch, it would alsways do that.

This is unexpected and frankly, it is disappointing.

Thank you!
Antun

Does it only happen with a specific input- we have hundreds of BDA's out there and this is a first? :scratch:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:19 am »
Hi James!

I set it to COAX 1 input before I unplugged it an hour ago to see whether it happens with USB only or with other inputs as well. I will plug it in in a while and let you know what happens.

I will tell you this though, the last time it wouldn't come on, the computer to which it was connected to was offline. I pressed the power button on the BDA2 a few times but nothing happened. I then turned on the computer (it was in sleep mode so it came on very quickly) and after pressing the power button on the BDA2 once more, the DAC came on immediately.

It is rather strange.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:34 am »
Hi James!

I set it to COAX 1 input before I unplugged it an hour ago to see whether it happens with USB only or with other inputs as well. I will plug it in in a while and let you know what happens.

I will tell you this though, the last time it wouldn't come on, the computer to which it was connected to was offline. I pressed the power button on the BDA2 a few times but nothing happened. I then turned on the computer (it was in sleep mode so it came on very quickly) and after pressing the power button on the BDA2 once more, the DAC came on immediately.

It is rather strange.

I will ask engineering but because USB is a 2-way communication system maybe the computer has to be ON for it to recognize it - not sure on that one.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:43 am »
I will ask engineering but because USB is a 2-way communication system maybe the computer has to be ON for it to recognize it - not sure on that one.

james

Okay, thanks! I will see what happens with the SPDIF COAX input.

Please remember that this doesn't happen every time but only when the BDA2 has been in standby or unplugged from mains for a longer period of time. So far it has happened on USB input but I will try and determine whether it happens on other inputs as well.

It doesn't make any sense I know but I think it should power on regardless of the computer status. Even it cannot lock onto any signal from the computer, I think it should still power up.

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2013, 01:09 pm »
My-2 turns on whether I have anything connected or not.
I would think it should definitely turn whether connected to cabling or not.
I'd be concerned as any component should turn regardless of the other in/outputs.

brucek

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: R.Daneel
Mr. Tanner tells me there might be a problem with the power switch but I sincerely doubt that as it works properly once you've managed to turn it on after the problem occurs. If there was something wrong with the switch, it would always do that.

One of the most common and frustrating faults that occur in electronics are of the intermittent variety. Don't discount that this may be a simple power switch intermittent fault.

brucek

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2013, 04:09 pm »
One of the most common and frustrating faults that occur in electronics are of the intermittent variety. Don't discount that this may be a simple power switch intermittent fault.

brucek
[/quote

I am not discounting anything. I am waiting for a reply from James and his engineering team. I am not so sure about the switch as it works perfectly, when it works... It has never failed to turn the machine off either.

Thanks Brucek!

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2013, 04:11 pm »
My-2 turns on whether I have anything connected or not.
I would think it should definitely turn whether connected to cabling or not.
I'd be concerned as any component should turn regardless of the other in/outputs.

Hello! You might try this - switch the BDA2 to USB input and then turn it off and unplug it. Plug it in tomorrow morning and then try to turn it on and see how long it takes. Make sure the computer is off when you try to power it on. This is where it has failed for me.

gene9p

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2013, 05:50 pm »
I don't understand why you keep unplugging your BDA-2 from power?

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:12 pm »
All my components,computer on 24/7,no warm-cold here.
Been on for yrs and nadda problem,just the way I like it :thumb:.

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:07 pm »
Does it only happen with a specific input- we have hundreds of BDA's out there and this is a first? :scratch:

james

Hi James!

The COAX input works perfectly so it would appear that the problem occurs only on USB and only when the machine has been in standby / unplugged for several hours and when the computer is turned off.

It is obvious that a large majority of BDA2 users use it in conjunction with the BDP player or some other SPDIF-equipped transport and more rarely with USB input so that is the reason why no one really noticed it. I still maintain it's a software glitch rather than a hardware problem.

Were you able to get some information from your engineering department?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:27 pm »
Hi

No we have not been able to replicate it here but it may be a function of a specific computer with the BDA.

We will continue to test.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2013, 02:41 pm »
Hi

No we have not been able to replicate it here but it may be a function of a specific computer with the BDA.

James

Hi James!

It's possible and I have considered that. I don't have any other computer at my disposal at the moment so I can't test that. It's a Windows 7 machine.

These things are difficult to trace because they occur sporadically. Other than that, the machine's performance has been exemplary and there are no problems whatsoever. It locks to any signal almost instantaneously.

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2013, 01:50 pm »
Hi

James

Hi James!

I was not able to replicate the error. After an almost entire week of testing of what works and what doesn't, it all seems to be working as it should.

I cannot explain what happened before. I have plugged the BDA-2 into a different USB slot on the computer and while I cannot be certain that this made any difference, the error seems to have disappeared.

I did notice one thing however. The buttons have to be pressed purposefully, not hard or too soft / slow, and they will never miss a command. Sometimes the buttons won't respond to a mild press. It is not how it happened when the error occured however but it is just something I have noticed.

What do you think?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2013, 01:58 pm »
Hi James!

I was not able to replicate the error. After an almost entire week of testing of what works and what doesn't, it all seems to be working as it should.

I cannot explain what happened before. I have plugged the BDA-2 into a different USB slot on the computer and while I cannot be certain that this made any difference, the error seems to have disappeared.

I did notice one thing however. The buttons have to be pressed purposefully, not hard or too soft / slow, and they will never miss a command. Sometimes the buttons won't respond to a mild press. It is not how it happened when the error occured however but it is just something I have noticed.

What do you think?

Cheers!
Antun

I think you have driven the gremlin away  :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2013, 02:26 pm »
I think you have driven the gremlin away  :thumb:

james

It would certainly appear so! I hope it stays away!

It is quite possible that the error was caused by my computer. I also haven't excluded the possibility that the power switch might have failed for some reason. In any case, everything seems to be working normally now.

I take it you were also unable to provoke it enough to cause any error?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2013, 03:51 pm »
It would certainly appear so! I hope it stays away!

It is quite possible that the error was caused by my computer. I also haven't excluded the possibility that the power switch might have failed for some reason. In any case, everything seems to be working normally now.

I take it you were also unable to provoke it enough to cause any error?

Hi

Correct - I could not get it to fail on my 3 systems at home as well as 2 units in our sound-room at bryston

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2013, 04:11 pm »
Hi

Correct - I could not get it to fail on my 3 systems at home as well as 2 units in our sound-room at bryston

james

In any case, thank you very much for trying and for hearing me out. You are quite a gentleman.

Even though I would have preferred if I didn't have to bother you with this, I am still happy to have chosen Bryston because this kind of service supportwould have remained science fiction when other manufacturers are in question.

In the event something like this happens again, I will inform you but I think it will okay from now on.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #19 on: 9 Sep 2013, 07:51 pm »
Hi

james

Hi James!

Unfortunately, it appears you were right all along and something is going on with the power switch and I am thinking it might have picked up some dust, either in the factory where the boards are manufactured or on the factory where the boards are installed.

Sometimes it won't respond at all but it does eventually if you press the button really hard. I do not want to do that as it is not healthy since I think the board is screwed vertically onto the front panel and by doing so the board is bent.

What shall I do?
Antun