Subwoofer Question

dougme57

Re: Subwoofer Question
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:16 pm »
I like the ib budget compared to 2 finished cabinets,  plate amps etc.

What do you listen to with all that bass lol

dougme57

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2013, 03:52 pm »
Bob, the ib is going to be across the room from my rack, should I put the amp in th closet and run a long coax or in the rack and run long speaker wires?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2013, 01:36 am »
What do you listen to with all that bass
My Mother asked me the same question once.  :lol:

I listen to everything that warrants a lot of bass. Movies, Music, Gaming, Videos, etc...etc.... As much as I can. Of course. 
In my system, I've got a long speaker cable run. It would be nice to have the amp in the IB enclosure to keep it out of my rack. But I'm sure the vibration would have its way with a PC board in a fairly short time.

On a side note:
For a cheap ride in bassville, try this on for size..
So yea.... That comes through the IB with authority. There's a couple spots in there that make my hair buzz and pant legs vibrate.

In short, if it has bass, I listen to it with bass. It's what amuses me.  :thumb:

Bob

dougme57

« Reply #23 on: 2 Sep 2013, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the link, that was fun and yes I want more bass! I have been reading and looking at a lot of builds and would like your opinion, again:).

If I use the closet it will be on the side of the listening area about 7ft off the front wall and directly behind 2 heavily upholstered old recliners. The rest of the "theater area" of the room has 2 upholstered couches. I have done a lot of measuring and I can put a quad cube 15" set up in the closet close to the floor.

The front wall shares with a spare bedroom, rarely used and has some stuff stored in it. My mains, center and 100" screen are on this front wall. The bedroom is 10x12x9. What would you think about 2 outies near my mains vented into that room with air exchange grills on the bedroom side of the wall. The boxes would have to be finished nicely in the theater room and I could make 2 with 2 drivers in each. And if this is a viable option what size would the boxes need to be in the theater room? I am leaning towards the IB Parts Express 15" drivers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 2 Sep 2013, 08:31 pm »
Ok, it sounds like you're an official bassfreak, so I'm thinking you're heading down the correct path.  :lol:

Two things...

Number one; Having the drivers accessed by another bedroom (or another room that the family has easy access to) worries me that if somebody slams a door, they've blown your drivers.
Number two; I can't answer what happens if you use the "twin double driver" idea you've proposed. That math is beyond my pay grade. I don't know if two IB's split up like that would be better than a single larger unit. I've heard good things about multiple subs in a room, but I don't know about IB's like that.

The one thing you said that concerns me is the comment about "the boxes in the theater room needing to be nicely finished".
There shouldn't be boxes on either side of the driver.  :scratch:
They should have "free range", or as much as possible to achieve the VAS factor like we talked about.

dougme57

« Reply #25 on: 2 Sep 2013, 08:56 pm »

I saw these and I was thinking of combining. The quad 15 in the closet would be simpler if location is ok.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:24 pm »
Ohhooo.... Sorry. Now I understand. Yea, that's not really what I had in mind when you said "Box". I was thinking you were building an enclosure for the drivers.
These are nothing more than "holders", as as far as I know, have nothing to do with the "tuning", or efficiency of the drivers. They serve nothing more than to hold them in place. So size is irrelevant. Build them as big as they need to be to hold the drivers, with a bit of room on the sides to have enough support/strength to withstand the earthquake like forces they'll encounter.
My recommendation would be to not use MDF, as it'll have a tendency to crumble. Use plywood. Preferably, use a Baltic Birch voidless type plywood. Last I checked, the place by me sells it for about $50 for a 5'x5' sheet.

With a box about 18" cubed, you could mount three drivers on three "compass points", and one on top.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 2 Sep 2013, 09:36 pm »
By the way.....

In the interest of full disclosure, I want you to know that my knowledge regarding an IB rig are limited to the unit I build about six years ago in the thread located >>HERE<<.
I don't want you to spend money relying solely on what I have to say about the subject simply because our rooms and situations are different.

I can tell you that I have enough bass, "Quality Bass" for that matter, than I could ever ask for. I have no desire for more. Fortunately for me, I hit the bullseye the first time, but it wasn't without the help of the folks on that twelve page thread I linked to above. In that thread, if you read it all, you'll read along and learn along as I learn everything about IB that I know today.

I put IB in high regard as the brass ring of LFE/Bass. If you build this, and build it with a few simple rules in mind, you'll never want to upgrade.
That being said, I'll help you however I can as I'd love more guys to have what I do regarding bass. but I'm not an expert.
If you'd like, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can chat about it.

Bob

dougme57

« Reply #28 on: 2 Sep 2013, 10:10 pm »

This is my front wall now. The one cube holder would be pretty simple.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 2 Sep 2013, 10:50 pm »
Looks good. When you're watching a movie, and the lights are off, do the surrounding walls have a "glow"?
I'm thinking that your walls are a bright on the bright side for a HT room.

dougme57

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2013, 11:27 pm »
No it works pretty good, would have gone darker but some things you just have to compromise on :).

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 3 Sep 2013, 12:12 am »
Roger that.  :lol:

dougme57

« Reply #32 on: 4 Sep 2013, 04:50 pm »
I wrote Parts Express and gave them my room dimensions and after modeling for me they said hands down the IB15 over the DVC18. The tech said it won in every category. I also asked about wiring since the drivers are svc and 8ohm. He came up with the same thing I had series/parallel but it would remain 8 ohms. He suggested running 2 off one channel and 2 off the other at 4ohms to get 500 each. That or purchase a larger amp.

Any thoughts?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 6 Sep 2013, 01:37 pm »
Sorry for the delay.

I like the idea of two @ 4ohm on each channel. Not much I could add to that.  :thumb: