Any suggestions for a free alternative to J River?

wushuliu

Re: Any suggestions for a free alternative to J River?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Nov 2013, 05:15 pm »
I was not aware of that. Thank you for the clarification. That does make the $50 a bit easier to swallow IMO.

I did try the free jukebox version of J River, but as stated, it is limited in what it can do, and does not allow wasapi output, nor does it do video.

I do eventually want to get it, but right now  I have not yet built the PC it will go on, so I am still hunting/searching for software that I will ultimately decide on. At this point, I can't seem to find anything that has the same (or comparable) functionality of J River. I will definitely have it on my "short list" of software to consider.

To the guy who found it for $25: Was there a promo/sale at the time? Does J River ever have promo deals or sales on their Media Center software?

Have you tried XBMC? If thousands of hours of code makes great software then XBMC has to be a contender. And it's free.
It's even downloadable as a media OS by itself, so you can boot to XBMC straight from usb. It's a hell of a lot slicker looking than JRiver to boot. It is puuuurty.

And you don't have to pay for upgrades.

http://xbmc.org/about/

randytsuch

« Reply #21 on: 8 Nov 2013, 05:21 pm »
Have you tried XBMC? If thousands of hours of code makes great software then XBMC has to be a contender. And it's free.
It's even downloadable as a media OS by itself, so you can boot to XBMC straight from usb. It's a hell of a lot slicker looking than JRiver to boot. It is puuuurty.

Does it do DSD?

wushuliu

jackman

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2013, 07:05 pm »
Has everyone with Jriver updated to version 19?  I updated yesterday and it keeps locking up.  I've kept 18 and it has no issues but 19 is a different matter.  I even rebooted and it still locks up.  Please note, my PC runs Windows 7 (the laptop I'm using at the moment for audio only).  Just curious if anyone else is having this problem. 

This is probably a better question for the Jriver forum but I've not signed up yet.  I checked but did not see anything indicating 19 was not compatible with my system.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jack

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #24 on: 8 Nov 2013, 07:13 pm »
Sorry bout that Jack.  MC19 has been nothing but wonderful for me, but I run WS 2012.  I know of no Win7 specific issues, though.  I wonder if something like upsampling or the library links got futzed up during install.  I would use control panel and do an uninstall, then re-install.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2013, 07:22 pm »
Has everyone with Jriver updated to version 19?  I updated yesterday and it keeps locking up.  I've kept 18 and it has no issues but 19 is a different matter.  I even rebooted and it still locks up.  Please note, my PC runs Windows 7 (the laptop I'm using at the moment for audio only).  Just curious if anyone else is having this problem. 

This is probably a better question for the Jriver forum but I've not signed up yet.  I checked but did not see anything indicating 19 was not compatible with my system.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jack
I would send a log to JRiver as that's usually what is asked for when it comes to debugging. 

jackman

« Reply #26 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:11 pm »
Thanks Guys, I'm going to mess around with it after work tonight.  It works but is very slow on my computer and locks up when I try to change songs.  Will delete and then re-install.  If that doesn't fix it, I'll break down and join the JRiver discussion board. 

I'm a big fan of Jriver and, although I would have rather received it for free, it's hard to complain about something that works so well (okay, the 18 in my case) and is so easy to use.  I can't think of $50 better spent. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:15 pm »
Thanks Guys, I'm going to mess around with it after work tonight.  It works but is very slow on my computer and locks up when I try to change songs.  Will delete and then re-install.  If that doesn't fix it, I'll break down and join the JRiver discussion board. 

I'm a big fan of Jriver and, although I would have rather received it for free, it's hard to complain about something that works so well (okay, the 18 in my case) and is so easy to use.  I can't think of $50 better spent.
I highly doubt an uninstall and install will do anything to yield you a result.  Just send a log and go from there.

Help > Logging > Report Log

It will save to your desktop and once you confirm it's there, go back and clear log under Help > Logging

Then email the log (zipped folder on your desktop) to logs (at) jriver (dot) com

jackman

« Reply #28 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:18 pm »
I highly doubt an uninstall and install will do anything to yield you a result.  Just send a log and go from there.

Help > Logging > Report Log

It will save to your desktop and once you confirm it's there, go back and clear log under Help > Logging > Report Log

Then email the log (zipped folder on your desktop) to logs (at) jriver (dot) com

Awesome, thank you very much!  I had no idea how to do what you just explained.  After I'm done with work in a couple hours, I'm going to mess around with my system and hopefully get this resolved.   

J

AKLegal

« Reply #29 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:21 pm »

XMBC looks really good.  I might play around with it later today.  I have already paid for J River so XMBC would really have to blow my socks off to get me to switch though.

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:28 pm »
XMBC looks really good.  I might play around with it later today.  I have already paid for J River so XMBC would really have to blow my socks off to get me to switch though.

If you've already paid for J River then there's not much incentive to switch.

kngale1

« Reply #31 on: 8 Nov 2013, 08:30 pm »

Jack
No problems here.   I too running on an audio dedicated laptop with Windows 7 DLNA to DAC.   I found best sound is no volume attenuation and sample as source everywhere ... zero manipulations!

*Scotty*

« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2013, 04:16 am »
I can't find a download of a version of Potplayer that supports WASAPI. The versions I have been able to find do not take advantage of Windows WASAPI event capability which bypasses the Windows audio mixer. The sonic quality of Waveout or Direct Sound available in Potplayer is markedly inferior to WASAPI event capability found in other players.
Scotty

jonbee

« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2013, 03:52 pm »

Jack
I'm running 19 on two win 7 machines. One was an upgrade from 18, the other a fresh install. Both run well, about the same as 18. I don't use many features besides the basics and remote control through both gizmo and the web remote features, which continue to work well, and to me I can't see much difference between the 2 versions one way or the other.
An uninstall might help, might not. The library settings also might be a good place to look for issues, but JRiver support is probably the most direct route to a solution.